Model Cars Magazine Forum
iamsuperdan

Pay It Forward. 2019 Edition. Seriously.

Okay, so I’m going to do something crazy.

There has been a lot of negativity floating around, not just here, but in general. I think we need a little feel good pick-me-up, something fun and positive. :)

So here it is, the resurrection of the Pay It Forward.

It has worked successfully in the past, so let’s see if we can make it work again.

I don’t want to bog it down with too many rules and regulations, because that takes the fun out of it.

But we do need a few ground rules, so here they are:

1.       Don’t claim a kit unless you can immediately post up your offering.

2.       Don’t offer anything that you aren’t willing to lose. The sad reality is that there are people out there that will be dishonest, keep that in mind.

3.       The PIF is luck of the draw. Sometimes things will be offered, and you’ll miss out. That’s just how it is.

4.       Keep the kits complete and unstarted. Box open is fine, bags open is fine.

5.       Kit values: not everyone has a super awesome and amazing stash. If someone offers up a “common” kit, or a curbside, don’t complain about it. If someone offers up a rare and/or valuable kit, that is entirely their choice and should not set a precedent. If you’re not interested in an offered kit, don’t claim it, wait for the next one.

6.       No shipping restrictions. If you aren’t willing to ship to our friends in other countries, please don’t participate.

7.       Pay for your own shipping, don't ask others to cover it. Shipping a kit to other countries is not a huge cost. In most cases, it will be less than $15. If others are willing to ship to you, you should be willing to ship to others.

8.       Just like with trades, MCM and the moderation team are not getting involved in disputes. If this thing goes south, I'll just close it and be done with it.

9.       Please don't make me regret this idea! Lolz

So what does everyone think? Can we make it work this time?

:)

I’ll give this a couple of days for discussion, thoughts,  and ideas, then on Friday I’ll get things underway with an offering.

My only participation would be to give stuff away. Would it then be acceptable to ask the person who claims it to cover postage? The reason I ask is last spring I had a big tote box full of stuff that I wanted to get rid of. When I realized what it would cost to ship all of the parts ,bodies, partial kits,etc., I burned them as it would have easily cost me 100s of dollars to ship all of that stuff. I won't pay to give stuff away.

Maybe instead of PIF, create a free section where a person could claim it and pay the postage for it. That way, no one is expecting anything in return. That's where the problems stem from IMO. No rules. Just a simple, "here it is", just pay postage. I don't think anyone could complain either way. 

You can always post free stuff in the trading section and ask folks to cover shipping. I don't think it will fit in with the Pay It Forward format though.

I was heavily involved in the last PIF and enjoyed it until all the crying and complaining started.  But what I believe killed it was the value differential of kits offered., or the "This is the only kit I have to offer."  PIF works very well for those of us who have a sufficiently large collection and are looking for a good trade.  I understand the beginner wanting to get involved, and I know a couple members on here did trades with those just to keep the PIF going, but that is asking a bit much.  If this does go forward will I get involved?  Probably, will see something I want and will try to get it.  It is up to the judgment of the Moderators, are you willing to be deluded with PM's about discrepancies?

I think the idea is commendable.

However the second biggest issue of the PIF was that the trading pool was far too small.  It turned into a very small group of people were involved and I'm not sure how that can be fixed.

I honestly think that do PIF again is going to end up being a headache. I think that a new idea needs to be explored. However I'm not sure what it could be.

I was involved with the last PIF. .....I had no "known" issues.

I'll start, but I can't get pics until later tonight. 

Tamiya Ferrari 360 Spider convertible. Box is a little roughed up and open, but the kit is 100% intact and unstarted. I will ship anywhere

A generous thought Cameron, but read the last line of Dan's initial post.

I am for it. Dan could you post the cheapest way to ship to Canada? Someone posted the answer before a few years ago. I think that would help us all out for shipping over the border. 

I like the idea behind this but I can definitely see where issues could arise. I'm a good example of it, I don't have a huge stash like a lot of people and most of what I could offer is not what 99%  (maybe 99.9%) of people want... I'm willing to try though....

On 8/14/2019 at 11:57 AM, Plowboy said:

My only participation would be to give stuff away. Would it then be acceptable to ask the person who claims it to cover postage? The reason I ask is last spring I had a big tote box full of stuff that I wanted to get rid of. When I realized what it would cost to ship all of the parts ,bodies, partial kits,etc., I burned them as it would have easily cost me 100s of dollars to ship all of that stuff. I won't pay to give stuff away.

Maybe instead of PIF, create a free section where a person could claim it and pay the postage for it. That way, no one is expecting anything in return. That's where the problems stem from IMO. No rules. Just a simple, "here it is", just pay postage. I don't think anyone could complain either way. 

In situations like that, just start your own thread. If we deviate too far from the spirit of the PIF, that's when problems arise.

On 8/15/2019 at 6:11 AM, TarheelRick said:

I was heavily involved in the last PIF and enjoyed it until all the crying and complaining started.  But what I believe killed it was the value differential of kits offered., or the "This is the only kit I have to offer."  PIF works very well for those of us who have a sufficiently large collection and are looking for a good trade.  I understand the beginner wanting to get involved, and I know a couple members on here did trades with those just to keep the PIF going, but that is asking a bit much.  If this does go forward will I get involved?  Probably, will see something I want and will try to get it.  It is up to the judgment of the Moderators, are you willing to be deluded with PM's about discrepancies?

As i alluded too, value is what it is. Participate with what you can, but be aware of what else is being offered before you.

Moderators will have ZERO to do with the PIF, other than participating if they wish. Just like normal trades.

6 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

I am for it. Dan could you post the cheapest way to ship to Canada? Someone posted the answer before a few years ago. I think that would help us all out for shipping over the border. 

I can tell you how I ship to the US, but I'm not sure how the US postal system works. Maybe someone else can explain? I know I've received many kits from the US, and in almost all cases, the shipping cost looks to be between $10-15. 

When I ship to the US, I ask for the cheapest trackable method. And it's usually around $15 CDN for a standard kit. Truck kits are more, multiple kits are more. Also depends on the size of the box I find to ship in. 

i can definitely say that I recommend finding a shipping box that is as close as possible in size to the model kit itself. In a couple of cases, I've actually removed the contents, folded the box, and placed the bags in the shipping box,just to make everything fit. Always wrapping everything to ensure no damage.

Alright. So it seems like most are willing to give this a try. Let's see how many pages we get to before an issue arises.

You have seen the rules above, here are the steps for those unaware:

1. Read the rules above.

2. Claim a kit. When you see something you want, be the first to post that you want it.

3. PM the person who offered that kit. They'll need your name and shipping address. Do NOT post your name and address in the thread!

3. Immediately post a pic/description of the kit you are offering up.

4. When someone claims the kit you offered, they will PM you their shipping details. 

5. Send that person your kit in a timely manner.

6. Repeat.

Remember, timing is luck of the draw. Sometimes you'll log in and see something you want, sometimes you'll miss out. Don't freak out if you miss out on something.

SOund good?

Okay, I'm offering up two to start. PICK ONE.

Revell 2009 Dodge SRT Challenger. Box open, bags sealed, 100% complete.

20190615_094019.thumb.jpg.4b3d0b01565f1b9f0caed80336d04115.jpg

20190615_094035.thumb.jpg.1a87680c02af78d4c40d5fa329a0cc73.jpg

AMT/Ertl '57 Chevy Stepside. Box open, most bags open, unstarted and 100% complete.

20190408_193500.jpg.fc4b22066df0591e257b4fc54785a0ab.jpg

20190408_193509.jpg.bf5bbbf57448a8d8d8aea5c9edb7fcbe.jpg

PM me your name and address and I'll ship next week.

And post up your offering.

Let's go!

Could this be pinned so that it doesn't interfere with the regular trades? 

When I ship to Canada I don’t use priority mail because it is stupid expensive. I put it in a regular box and tick the cheapest option. Zero issues. 

15 hours ago, Bill Eh? said:

A generous thought Cameron, but read the last line of Dan's initial post.

whoops, missed that one

1 hour ago, Plowboy said:

Could this be pinned so that it doesn't interfere with the regular trades? 

Agreed!

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

I've not shipped a kit to the US for awhile now, but the last round of PIF when I did ship to the US the average cost was about $16-18 CDN. The last kit I had shipped up from the US to Canada cost me from a vendor about $15US (roughly the same price as down to the US with exchange.) So expect to pay that, of course that will depend completely on the kit, the ones above were the standard Revell box size kits. 

I'm in for another round. Fortunately for me, Im pretty close to the US border and hop over several times a month for shopping and picking up packages so anything anyone might have to ship to me I'll give my US shipping address to, and anything I may have to send to the US will get shipped from the US.

Edited by Jhedir6

8 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

I'm offering up two to start. PICK ONE.

This could be the answer to anyone thinking that they may not have much to offer....post a couple of kits and give an option to choose one.

Rob

Ok Dan, I  will jump in first and claim the Challenger. Always wanted to put the interior and drivetrain in an original.  

I am putting up a sealed 1962 Bel Air

20190817_114513.jpg

I will add this as a choice. You can have your pick, the BelAir or the Jag.

Jag is open box, sealed bags, and I opened the box. Nothing missing. 

20190820_170043.jpg

Edited by Sam I Am