Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1970 Chevy Impala Fire Chief

Casey

I have several to many of the 1970 Chevy kit.  I owned a 1:1 back in the day so whenever I'd see a rerelease cheap, I'd grab it.  

I bought the Fire Chief car on eBay.  Upon receiving it, all the fire chief parts were missing! Seller credited me some $5 and I wound up with just another 70 Chevy. I did want to keep it just for the box art!  It's up on my display shelf. (note- top shelf closest to ceiling is boxes on display since I can't get up there anyway! The rest of the shelves are unfinished projects.)

image.png.70886eccb244ad2b5c6d4e48c27c7197.png

Armed with fresh information from this thread,  I see I have the wheels and dog dish caps,  as well as the police radio, a spotlight and fire extinguisher.  And interesting enough, there are a set of blue lights that I don't believe came with this kit. The kit thief kept the roof mounted lights and decal sheet.

Hmmm.. since the kit is down from the shelf, maybe it's time to build it into my long lost Impala! Of course the kit will have the eternal 454 with a manual transmission!  I've got to find a way to put a 350/350 into it. And a way to change the fender designation!   My car did have the roof line that's in the kit, and the interior appears to be mine too!  

This kit certainly is not state of the art or perfectly authentic by any stretch of the imagination, but I definitely am thrilled to have it back in this form!! When I was just beginning I had one and spent one joyous afternoon smearing Testor's tube glue all over the bare white styrene flanks while managing to find a home for EVERY antenna, light, siren and lens!!!! Oh the joy...….

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 4:37 PM, Tom Geiger said:

I have several to many of the 1970 Chevy kit.  I owned a 1:1 back in the day so whenever I'd see a rerelease cheap, I'd grab it.  

I bought the Fire Chief car on eBay.  Upon receiving it, all the fire chief parts were missing! Seller credited me some $5 and I wound up with just another 70 Chevy. I did want to keep it just for the box art!  It's up on my display shelf. (note- top shelf closest to ceiling is boxes on display since I can't get up there anyway! The rest of the shelves are unfinished projects.)

image.png.70886eccb244ad2b5c6d4e48c27c7197.png

Armed with fresh information from this thread,  I see I have the wheels and dog dish caps,  as well as the police radio, a spotlight and fire extinguisher.  And interesting enough, there are a set of blue lights that I don't believe came with this kit. The kit thief kept the roof mounted lights and decal sheet.

Hmmm.. since the kit is down from the shelf, maybe it's time to build it into my long lost Impala! Of course the kit will have the eternal 454 with a manual transmission!  I've got to find a way to put a 350/350 into it. And a way to change the fender designation!   My car did have the roof line that's in the kit, and the interior appears to be mine too!  

The AMT 72'Nova would be a good donor or the Revell 69'nova for the engine for the fender designation I believe Revells 69'Nova has 350 callouts

• 3 months later...
On 8/15/2019 at 11:03 PM, Robberbaron said:

Really hope the original-style "bowtie" poverty caps are provided!  If the original tooling for those didn't survive, let's hope that Round 2 accurately recreates them, instead of throwing in some generic baby moons instead.

On 8/16/2019 at 6:45 PM, Can-Con said:

look at that ,, 4 wheel options !! you don't get that now !

It looks like they recreated the dog dish style hubcaps, and using those along with the new (at least new to this kit), it appears there are four distinct wheel options in this issue:

r2.jpg.a3340111a2171393ab00ddc8f8499f2c.jpg

Here's the same shot with the new (as in new-to-this-kit, I'm guessing the old steel wheels were long ago eliminated, and these are likely the same steel wheels included with other recent Round2 kits) steel wheels [red arrow], re-created chrome-plated light bar pieces [circled in green], and the "extra" chrome plated parts (headers, etc.) which were included with the AMT '70 Impala Heavy Chevy reissue are included here, too, circled in yellow:

r2_LI.jpg.036d3f9ae0d33f24bbfb3f3cdceca1a3.jpg

Edited by Casey

• 1 month later...

There’s a four alarm blaze and AMT’s Fire Chief is at the scene. This long-lost version of AMT’s 1970 Impala is back, complete with all the exciting accessories included once again! It’s even better than the original release, with newly tooled, accurate stock Chevy wheels and hubcaps. Build an authentic Fire Chief car outfitted with a flasher bar and siren, CB radio, spotlight, fire department graphics and more!

KIT FEATURES:

1/25 scale
Skill level 2
Over 90 parts
Paint and cement not included
Molded in deep red
All original “Fire Chief” accessories have been retooled!
Includes flasher bar, CB radio and speaker, spotlight and more
Newly-tooled authentic stock Chevy wheels/hubcaps
Realistic red-tinted flasher domes and lenses
Recreated and expanded vintage decal artwork
Retro Deluxe™ AMT reproduction packaging

23 minutes ago, Danno said:

Authentic Fire Chief cars don’t have “CB” radios.  Authentic Fire Chief car replicas shouldn’t either.  

R2 should get it right. They don’t call super chargers “huffy puffy thingies.”

Soapbox stowed.

Perhaps a 9C1 Caprice would , though .

I laughed aloud at "huffy puffy things" ! HAHAHAHAHAHA !

• 3 months later...
1 minute ago, Casey said:

Did anybody here purchase this reissued kit? I'm be interested in seeing a pic or two of the contents, especially of the dog dish hub caps and steel wheels.

I did my usual full video but I don't like to promote my stuff on others websites without an invite to.

It's on my channel though. 

I have this kit. While very the engraving is very petite, there are no separate Dog Dish hubcaps. It is all one wheel, which really very sad, since the base wheel that this part is supposed to represent is a body colour rim and a small chromed cap. A complete and total fail on the part of Round2. They should have not done it at all, if they were just gonna Half-Donkey the job. Somebody "Saving Money" again, that results in a complete botch of the job. Even the Box Art shows a painted rim and a chromed cap. Not what you get when you open the box though.

This kind of thing drives me just crazy. Would it have really cost THAT much more to do it right? There are plenty of "Tells" that this was a rush job. The pitifully small, "City of Troy" only Decal sheet. The Forgotten engraving on the speaker box on the small, chrome tree full of Police parts. (Small box that goes below the radio is smooth and slick. No grill texture at all. Nothing on the decal sheet either), The new "Stock" wheels that are all chromed.

I know.  Other will come back at me with the rejoinder, "Better to have this, than nothing!"  Well, I feel, that is what I got, Nothing.

I paid full price for an un-finished kit that was pushed out the door, before QC had been finished. If they weren't going to do it right, why bother? I'm always up for nostalgia builds, and I'm happy to purchase reissues of kits that I have ever had the chance to own before. That said, Round2 Seems to be shooting themselves in the Foot lately in regards to these "Resurrected Kits". The '77 Pinto was just really a sad little kit. So was the real kit in '77, I assume, but the silly decals, and the lack of any build options just made a bad thing worse. The Pinto Popper, tried to do better, and succeeds in small ways. The Bonus Coke Machine, and the Pintera Body parts, along with some optional tires help to spice up a still weak kit. The Turbo is nice. I'd have liked to have seen that one Lone, Stock Ford Wheelcover cloned three more times. This Fire Chief car is just more of the same. 

I've noted before that Round2, seems to have an "A Team" & a "B Team" in kit development. The A Team kits, get the 1st Class treatment. 8 or 10 tires (stock, custom, & slicks, if needed), huge decal sheets, and added parts, and thoughtful touches. (Cardboard bases, or neat extras). The "B Team" kits on the other hand, always seem to end up, not being able to deliver on the promises made by the box art. Few Tires, downsized decals, and general "Overpromise & Underdeliver" vibe that is Toxic in retail. And for the last time, Kats, Retro Box Art, is simply expected, not a Sales, Bullet Point!!!!!!

Rant Over. 

That's unfortunate for the box art to be other than what's in the box, but that's nothing new.  The wheelcovers pictured above don't look like what the '70 full-size brochure shows.  The center of the wheelcover is supposed to stick out instead of being flat.  The Impala also had the vaned wheelcovers and rally wheels as options.  I had planned to use rally wheels from another kit if they aren't included..  If it's any consolation, fire chief cars I usually saw were red four-door sedans.

standard wheelcover, vaned wheelcover, then rally wheel:

image.png

image.png

image.png.dacdcc1c52060294dcd6e8e25918aa7e.png

Edited by Motor City
straighten out pics

Well, For those who are not happy with the execution of, and the extras in this kit, I will just leave this observation for thought.

What fire department would have spent the money on a top of the line, 2 door hard top, 454 ci, 4 speed, bucket seat, Impala for their fire chief in the first place?

I think we can probably agree that the concept is fairly ridiculous anyway, and any real fire chief car would have most likely been a Biscayne 4 door sedan or wagon with a 283. ^_^

Steve 

While I agree that the cloak & dagger wheel-hubcaps box art vs. contents is a bummer , I'll also say this : Better than paying $80 + for resin ( and that's not a jab at resin casters / masters , et al. ) .

It would have served as the basis for other Chevys with plain wheels / hubcaps --- perhaps even the full-bumper 1970 1/2 Camaro ( same style hubcaps , no ? Someone please correct my info ) could've enjoyed that setup .

My only balk with the engine-transmission is , well , the transmission . If AMT had the wherewithal back in '69 to slide a TH-400 behind that big block , then one could simply say the engine's a "400" ( 402 , etc. ) . But , I'm sure that the 'phantom' nature of the 454-SS Impala was borne-out of , "Chevrolet has an SS-454 Impala on the drawing board , so... " .

I have the last issue of the '70 Imp (the flat-box , c.1975 artwork) from a few years ago . It's a great kit otherwise ( I'm loathe to mention the lack of brake master cylinder) with lots of extras and options .

On 4/15/2020 at 9:36 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Well, For those who are not happy with the execution of, and the extras in this kit, I will just leave this observation for thought.

What fire department would have spent the money on a top of the line, 2 door hard top, 454 ci, 4 speed, bucket seat, Impala for their fire chief in the first place?

I think we can probably agree that the concept is fairly ridiculous anyway, and any real fire chief car would have most likely been a Biscayne 4 door sedan or wagon with a 283. ^_^

Bingo! This isn’t meant to be a new kit nor an exact replica.  It’s  a nostalgic repop of the Fire Chief version as it was originally released.