Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya VW Golf Racing

iamsuperdan

Have had this old kit for a while. Not my best work, but I'm reasonably happy with it.

The paint fought me the whole way. I'm usually really good with masking and avoiding bleed through. Not this time. Luckily, I have enough paint that I was able to touch up a lot of the issues. Still not perfect, but will look fine on the shelf.

it was also very strange. The white, yellow, and red laid down very nicely. The orange though...totally rough and bumpy. It's all Tamiya spray cans, all purchased at the same time. Same prep work for all, but the orange is a completely different texture.

20180926_200305.thumb.jpg.dfc939709051faf6f64b309df6f40984.jpg

I think my biggest surprise is that the decals were still good. They needed a lot longer in the water to soften up and slide off the backing, but they worked.  

Anyway, nice kit, easy kit, good slump buster. 

20190813_201249.thumb.jpg.d927b4976827da3e25216566b3d202e1.jpg

20190815_063544.thumb.jpg.b85c172214c4324518a8a342758230cb.jpg

20190815_063628.thumb.jpg.f785ca3a87ae721df4ad162d569e35b2.jpg

18 hours ago, stitchdup said:

Sweet, I've got one of these to build so are there any issues with fit?

Nope. It's a Tamiya, so fit was perfect, with very little cleanup required on the parts. no flash, etc. It is a very simple kit, so is a nice quick build.

11 hours ago, espo said:

Looks good and I like the theme of your build. As for the paint, did you use a "hot" lacquer paint ? 

Just used normal Tamiya primer and aerosol spray cans, room temp.

On 8/16/2019 at 8:36 AM, iamsuperdan said:

Nope. It's a Tamiya, so fit was perfect, with very little cleanup required on the parts. no flash, etc. It is a very simple kit, so is a nice quick build.

Just used normal Tamiya primer and aerosol spray cans, room temp.

Do you recall the brand and or the type of finish coat of paint. The reason for my question is based on some unfortunate past experiences. I have had similar paint problems when using either automotive touch up sprays or a paint that is not designed for use on plastic objects.  

4 hours ago, espo said:

Do you recall the brand and or the type of finish coat of paint. The reason for my question is based on some unfortunate past experiences. I have had similar paint problems when using either automotive touch up sprays or a paint that is not designed for use on plastic objects.  

With rare exception, I almost exclusively use Tamiya paints; either jar or aerosol. Maybe once or twice I've used automotive paint, with no problems. 

This one was strange, as it was only the orange that had an issue.