Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Revell 1986 Chevy Monte Carlo SS 2'n1

Casey

Too bad they didn't make it an '87 so they could have the different color stripes on the decal sheet like they did for the Aerocoupe.

Edit: Wonder what the 2nd version is in this kit. In the past, they have had a donk version and a lowrider-esque version with 20" Dayton-style wheels.

Edited by Jordan White

I remember building the original issue of the kit when I was in high school...was molded in black, I did it in maroon to match a buddy's car.  The optional parts in the original issue were a TPI and intake and slotted mags IIRC. 

Edited by Rob Hall

As Rob mentioned, a Tuned Port Intake and aftermarket wheels (ten hole American Racing Outlaw(?) wheels were optional:

Montess86.jpg.fed5769e62d0de5b0983873d80cc2240.jpg

Typical Monogram '80s kit-- body is mostly accurate, and it looks like an '86 Monte Carlo SS sitting on the shelf, but has simplified (but still separate from the frame/floorpan) suspension front and rear, with the '70s era Goodyear GT Radial tires (which debuted in '78 or so?) as the only included tires.

This was and I think still is a great kit of this car. I had a new '86 Monte Carlo SS and this kit is about as close as you can get to the 1:1. A note to any builder that may not be familiar with the 1:1. The rear side windows are mounted on the outside of the body and all of the other windows are mounted from the inside of the body. The 1:1 car came to market just about the time GM started to flush mount the exterior windows on their cars. Less wind noise and maybe even less wind drag. 

I've always liked this kit, and I recall zero assembly problems when I first built it as a kid.

My brother did point out to me that technically it's a mish-mash of an 85 and an 86.  The interior is correct for an 84/85, since it has the older style gauge cluster, dash, console, and upper door panels/pull straps.  These items were redesigned for 1986.  Can't recall, the upholstery pattern might possibly have changed then, too.

It does have the correct 1986+ door mirrors and alloy wheels.

In all honesty, only the biggest MC geeks would ever notice the interior differences. And 30+ years later, many of these 1:1 cars that have managed to survive have been pieced together and rebuilt with parts from different model years, so there's nothing unbelievable about this combination of parts.

The Monogram Buick Grand National kit has the correct mirrors to backdate the Monte to a pre-86.

I have a burgundy notchback and a silver Aerocoupe built up.   And they look like the real versions, so it was a good kit I thought.  Have a couple more in parts stages.  Kinda like real ones in a junkyard,  LOL Wish there was Grand Prix kit from this era.   Then I'd have the whole set, MCSS, Buick GN, Olds HO, and a Grand Prix.  But the Pontiac didn't really have a performance model other than their 2+2 aero car did they?  

I built a bright red MCSS at some point - why Chevy never offered that in a bright red is beyond me - it was spectacular.  

49 minutes ago, randyc said:

I built a bright red MCSS at some point - why Chevy never offered that in a bright red is beyond me - it was spectacular.  

Agreed, especially in '87 when they expanded their stripe color selection. Oddly enough that year, they added a light brown metallic which seems to be pretty unpopular. It seems strange since they offered bright red on most of their other vehicles at the time.

2 minutes ago, Hawk312 said:

I know I built one back in the daybut can`t remember...

But those look like the wheels used on some 2nd gen Camaros. 

They do, yet are slightly different to the ones on the Camaro. Why they decided to bring the style back for the Monte Carlo, I have no clue.

80-81 Z/28 wheel (N90 option)
-15x7 w/ 5x4.75" bolt circle
-Take a shanked nut/washers (or "shoulder" style shanked nut)
-Have 4.25" BS (therefore less of a "dish" compared to SS wheels)
-slightly different (flatter & wider) outer wheel lip than SS wheels
-"Z28" centercaps

86-88 SS wheel
-15x7 w/ 5x4.75" bolt circle
-Take regular acorn nut
-Have 3.75" BS
-slightly different (taller and narrower) outer wheel lip than Z/28 wheel
-"Chevrolet" centercaps

Having owned two of the these cars in 1:1, an '83(my profile pic) and an '86(stock in Black) and also building scale replicas of both, although I no longer have the real ones or the scale ones, I can not wait for this kit. I'm pretty sure the "alternate" version will be the Donk/Lowrider, unfortunately. It would be nice to see the three different styles of factory decals made available, but I'm afraid that might be asking too much. Either way I am going to need three or four of these kits when they do come out.

1 hour ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

I'm pretty sure the "alternate" version will be the Donk/Lowrider, unfortunately.

I thought " ? no way" when I read that, then I found this:

Features

• Authentic factory stock type wheels and tires or outrageous large diameter spoked rims with low profile rubber tires.
  • Detailed V-8 engine with single 4 bbl. carb or fuel injected induction systems.
  • Tampo printed black window edges.
  • Multiple Stock and Custom Decal options.
  • Molded in white, transparent red and clear with chrome plated parts and soft black tires

?

Edited by Casey

Two choices of stock SS stripes, and one set of large black stripes for over the top of the car are your decal options, along with nice gauges  and factory  under-hood stickers on the decal sheet.

One large set of hoopty wheels/low profile tires and stock SS wheels with unbranded black walls are the second set.

I'm holding my production copies right now and am starting the build/review Friday, should take a couple days to get it done.

4 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

I have a couple of the original Monograms, IMHO a great kit, the only let down are the tires which should've been like the ones in the '87 T-bird kit, then it would've perfect ?

Yeah, they used the Goodyear Eagle GT tires that they seemed to throw in every kit they could, despite them being completely incorrect for a good chunk of the subjects. I mentioned it before, but Fireball Modelworks has a great set of tires that would work with this kit,

The OEM tire for the SS was a 225/65R x 15 Good Year with raised white letters. The original issued kit I built when this was first released had an issue with getting the tires inside of the body. Easy modifications to the wheel backs will cure this problem. As for ride height, just relocate the front spindles much like a real car and a little trim of the rear springs to suit what ever ride height you're after for the rear.