Model Cars Magazine Forum

Modeling for fun.....again!

While I'm not building Palmer kits or brush painting bodies, I'm done trying to build super detailed, super accurate models!

I loved building my drag cars in the 60's, going to start cranking them out again without worrying about the proper engine color, exact style etc.

Going to build the Psycho Mustang with the AMT Mustang Gt funny car kit. I have 6 of them!
Going to build Brutus GTO with either one of mt AMT 65's or Polar Lights 64's , I have 12 of them!
Going to do a fleet of 65 Dodges from PL, I don't care if they have "problems".

Do not care anymore that the AMT 30's Fords aren't "right".

Build what you like guys, I really enjoy you guys with great amazing skills, but I'm taking it down a few notches and just going with the flow!

Anybody else feel this way?

I think many, maybe too many, modelers of all types are too obsessed with rivet   counting, exact paint shades etc. While I DO strive for realism, I'm not going to defeat myself by being...well, snooty and looking down my nose. I see this at shows and sales all the time.

I think Snake, you know exactly what I DO mean here.

I too find myself becoming a bit pedantic about details only I would know about.  I have to take a breath and ask myself: "Is this really fun?"

I indulge detailing, but to a more limited degree.  But this does not keep me from admiring the skill level required of those super-detailed projects. They are just amazing.

Model on!!

For some guys, the fun IS in the research, the rivet counting.  For others, it's in tweaking contours and trim until they are a perfect match to the 1:1 to their eyes.  For others, it's the perfect paint job.  Some just want something no one else has.  Whichever it is for you, if it's not fun, it's work.

1 hour ago, GaryR said:

I think many, maybe too many, modelers of all types are too obsessed with rivet   counting, exact paint shades etc. While I DO strive for realism, I'm not going to defeat myself by being...well, snooty and looking down my nose. I see this at shows and sales all the time.

I think Snake, you know exactly what I DO mean here.

Indeed I do. That's why I spend a lot more time HERE these days than I do in Model Airplane World. B)

Let me clarify a bit more.

As a teenager I had limited options, I built what AMT and Revell offered at the local variety stores and at Safeway( yes, Safeway ).

Instead of building replicas of SPECIFIC race cars, I built generic race car replicas using the limited parts I had. Used the kit decals, a ton of kitbashing, went through a BUNCH of Auto World dry transfer lettering.

I named my cars after my family members, friends, local auto businesses or just fictional cars and racers. I didn't try to make an anywhere near accurate replica of say, Nicholson's Comet, Hayden Proffit's Corvair. I made similar cars in my own style.

A wanted to capture the FUN, fire and smoke of the times I was able to go to the strip and watch a blazing 6 or 7 second nitro run. The excitement, the drama of 1960's racing.

One great thing about the internet is there are HUNDREDS of pictures of obscure local cars in all classes from throughout the nation instead of just name racers that were in the magazines. Almost everything and anything you can think of hit the strip. Cars pretty much unknown until recently.

The aforementioned AMT Mustang is perfect for a raft of S/XS-B/XS, C/XS, altered and "match race" run what ya brung cars. The kind that didn't win the whopping four National events, but were typical at local strips. AMT kits , being tooled 5-60 years ago are FULL of pretty accurate speed parts from back in the day.

I am not looking for a "perfect" anything, as most cars then were not show pieces or pro build like today. Just the opposite!

I want to indulge my imagination again.

The reason some projects started last century are in the box, I came up against being a perfectionist.  Current project is awaiting me deciding to worry about not being accurate despite zero pictures found on the web, like anyone could say "that's not right".  Making a replica is such a different mindset than being creative.  I'm on/off about model building, currently off.

Hey Gary, it's kind of liberating to just decide that you're going to just go to work and get something finished, isn't it?

This is how I pulled myself out of a slump of nearly 10 years!

I decided that I wasn't going to worry about brake lines, and alternator wiring, and all of the other stuff that drags down a build and can ultimately make you lose interest.

I was cranking out fairly nice builds at the count of about 1 per month.

Since then, I've begun getting back into some higher detail, but I really find that I've begun to enjoy that as well, as long as the subject matter is interesting and it doesn't get carried away.

Now I finish a build about every 3-4 months, which is enough to keep me interested, and keep me building.

Steve

Yes Steve, it is!

I am just going to paint that Pontiac 421 blue. Not really sweat it.

I'm not going to rebuild all those chassis, they look fine from the top! LOL

I'm going to just slice off the front end of that Nomad, like I did when it first came out.Put a brass tube for a hinge and i have a tilt front.

Not going to build the inner structure or door hinges either!

I hate Bare Metal, might just mix some silver and brush paint the trim. THE HORROR! 

Gary, your approach to model building is similar to mine. I find fun in building and painting model cars. Most of the stuff I build is box stock. Some models I’ll use thread for spark plug wires, some I don’t wire at all!

To me, the main reason to build model vehicles is to HAVE FUN. I know that some builders enjoy making their builds highly detailed, and I certainly enjoy seeing their amazing work.

It is however you like to build models - just keep it enjoyable.

8 hours ago, Mark said:

For some guys, the fun IS in the research, the rivet counting.  For others, it's in tweaking contours and trim until they are a perfect match to the 1:1 to their eyes.  For others, it's the perfect paint job.  Some just want something no one else has.  Whichever it is for you, if it's not fun, it's work.

That's why I put silly, little details on my models--I like 'em! Scratchbuilding, research--that's what is fun, for me! There's no point to building your models, to suit someone else's taste.

Edited by Straightliner59

10 hours ago, GaryR said:

The aforementioned AMT Mustang is perfect for a raft of S/XS-B/XS, C/XS, altered and "match race" run what ya brung cars. The kind that didn't win the whopping four National events, but were typical at local strips. AMT kits , being tooled 5-60 years ago are FULL of pretty accurate speed parts from back in the day.

Preach It, Brother Gary!  I've been working on one on and off for years. I'd love to build a detailed replica of Sam Auxier's BOWANI II, but it looks like I'll just have one "inspired by" that car. Maybe I'll call it "BOWAN-ISH." :lol:

For your Psycho Mustang, try putting it on the Fiat altered frame from the AMT Double Dragster. I think the wheelbases are similar. The real one was a rebodied Fiat altered, IIRC. 

9 hours ago, GaryR said:

I hate Bare Metal, might just mix some silver and brush paint the trim. THE HORROR! 

You need to meet my good friend, Mr. Silver Sharpie. MUCH easier to use than any silver brush paint, and it actually dries. And looks good! A pair of them (which will do at least a dozen cars) is less than $4 at Walmart. I've been using them for about 10 years now, and if they quit making them, I'd have to go back to model airplanes, that's how much I love them. :wub:

Oh yeah, let's hear it for the FUN FACTOR!   I don't do any super detailing anymore.  I try not to scratchbuild anymore - those are the places where my projects would bog down. However, I will search the internet for photos of the details on interiors and engines to try to get the colors correct.   And whatever details were molded in.  I use BMF, Chrome paint, Molotow, sharpie for chrome details.   Depends on the particular part.   All "chrome" is not equal.  And much of it doesn't look like what BMF turns out like.   Polished stainless window trim can often be sharpie and look just as good. 

IF you look at my 55 Chrysler on the diecast page, look at the rear 3/4 shot.  In this, there is Molotow, BMF, chrome kit parts, and the factory silver tampo.  Look at the rear window frame - silver tampo.   Can you really tell the difference in it and the BMF adjacent to it?  I basically got tired of foiling and just stopped.  I did want the side trim foiled and it did make a difference, but not as much as I hoped - trim was cast pretty heavy and paint thickness and such.    The head light rings are a combination of molotow and kit chrome from where I sanded out the sprue marks.  That's good stuff for touchups.

You guys are my toughest critics.  my family won't notice.  But I try to build everything to look as REAL as possible - that's my goal now.  And it is as fun as it's ever been.   

Honestly? I don't care how others build. DO they obsess over every detail for utmost accuracy? DO they slap some paint on a body and call it a day? Doesn't matter. However a person builds, as long as they are enjoying it, then more power to them.

Personally, I tried going for details. And it was such a time suck. Took so long to finish something, and trying top hyper detail a kit took all the fun out of it for me. So now I just build basically box stock. A couple of details here or there. i don't go crazy over the parts that won't be seen when on display.  And if it's not perfect, I don't get too upset with myself anymore. I still try to improve with every build, but I'm not obsessive about it. 

And I'm having more fun with it.

:)

What a relief!

I am trying to have fun with this hobby, but the ultra accuracy gremlins/trolls have been gnawing at the door.

I am fairly knowledgeable but not infallible, I hope am always polite (I am on the Asperger's scale so I can't always gauge how I come across sometimes). I recently posted an opinion on a military modelling site, about a particular WW2 tank kit compared to a photo of the real steel, version, features, period of production etc, - the responses were very curt, abrupt even; "No, No, not possible", "Hey, this kit was based on expert research by (name)", "What have you posted this here for", Go away and don't bother us.

So that's it, it's now time to have fun with this hobby, be it cars, them darned tanks, or even airplanes, build to your ability, what pleases you, not someone else's idea of best.

15 hours ago, Mark said:

That's me! But I do sometimes take a pause to do shortcuts. Either way, I'll stop if it's not fun.

Edited by Oldcarfan27

I've not completed a model in so many years I lost count. Simply because I was hung up on the details. A few weeks ago the wife asked to see something new that I had done. Well dear, there is nothing! And the conversation went on for twenty minutes.. So I wound up agreeing to build what is in the box, with "some" options, and I have to tell you, its hard but its coming around and I like it.............I call it modified parts box customizing...........As Snake would say, Model on!!!

I am taking a break from a long term scratch build (don't ask!). Having a bit of fun with the Airfix Bugatti Veyron. It's a click together kit that goes together Lego style aimed at youngsters to get them into modelling. It is devoid of a lot of detail, but the body shape looks good. Will be adding the missing interior details to this one to see what I can do with it. It is the only 1/24 th scale plastic kit of this car that I know of, and it is cheap! The way it goes together saves any masking up as I propose changing the colours. If it all goes pear shaped, not much loss!

18 hours ago, GaryR said:

Anybody else feel this way?

i always build this way, it always seemed to me that when you start getting into a 100% accurate model the fun is gone. i like to build my drag cars and if i have the wrong engine color or the wrong carb i don't worry about it ?

i just have fun and if im happy with my build then thats good enough for me.

Me, the research is probably my favourite part, and in these days when you have almost the whole of human knowledge at your fingertips.  Far from inhibiting imagination,  I find it often takes me in directions I hadn't thought of, like the screaming red V-16 Cadillac I've been working on.   When you do some digging, it becomes pretty obvious that they way they did things in the past isn't as cut and dried as some might think.   For me, the fun is in recreating a vanished piece of the past.

Having said that, there are limits.  There are always going to be variations and inaccuracies in colour eproduction,  so I'm generally happy with a bottle of paint that's close to what I want.   Scratchbuilding is fun, but sometimes you want a model that will go together without a fight.