Model Cars Magazine Forum

Modeling for fun.....again!

"Rivet counting in my opinion is just a derogatory term for a style of building."

I disagree.

Rivet counting is style of CRITICISM, not building.

I think all modelers "value" accuracy and detail.

It's an attitude of superiority and condescension, it's mostly meant to establish "I build better than you do".

THAT is what I dislike.

Back to the original topic....

I only build for fun. Absolutely none of my builds are perfect, but they are all my best effort without getting too frustrated. Once I start getting frustrated with some aspect of my model, I walk away. I know I do not have the patience to put a lot of detail into a model, so I usually do not try. I will detail paint a few things here and there or try a multi-color paint job. I occasionally post my progress or completed models and am open to criticism. If someone posts something that I may not have tried or thought of, I may look into trying it out on a future build. Folks will also post suggestions that I know I will never try. I will just say thanks and (as Snake  says) model on. I think it is a good trait when you can see the line between fun and work.

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

This is why I feel that a civilized critique is so valuable.

I would want to know.

Apparently not everyone feels this way.

This circumstance may not be a perfect parallel to offering criticism to a builders work outright, but it has some merit on the subject.

Recently, on another thread, an individual offered the fact that he had recently sprayed Duplicolor automotive touch up paint directly over a plastic kit body with no adverse affect.

Should we just ignore it because of the possibility that the individual might feel that he is being attacked, or should we warn that this was obviously an exception and not the rule.

I think that any of us that have tried this will attest that it's not the best idea and it might be a good service to warn other members who might not be as advanced in their knowledge of painting techniques and unaware of the possible consequences.

Should we just mind our own business and shut up for fear of starting an argument, or should we try to offer our experience in the event that another individual thinks that this is normal practice and ruins his brand new $35.00 kit body?

This type of scenario is why I feel that more information is always better than none.

Just my opinion.

Steve

i agree and we are all men, constructive criticism can only make you better. You never stop learning and i have found that if you have knowledge around you then use it. Unfortunately not everyone feels this way. People takes things differently but its always good to have knowledgeable people around offering advice and tips. I just don't say anything about someone's build that may be taken the wrong way. With that being said i appreciate all of you advanced builders sharing tips and info because I've learned alot from reading and watching you guys. Thanks for the tips and info

17 minutes ago, GaryR said:

"Rivet counting in my opinion is just a derogatory term for a style of building."

I disagree.

Rivet counting is style of CRITICISM, not building.

I think all modelers "value" accuracy and detail.

It's an attitude of superiority and condescension, it's mostly meant to establish "I build better than you do".

THAT is what I dislike.

I can concede that point. ;)

Steve

On the original topic a hobby is done for enjoyment or relaxation. That is something that is cifferent for everyone.

Modeling is an art and with repetition one gets better with time.

This forum is for the enjoyment and sharing of knowledge. It always helps when somebody indicates when they post a model if they indicate whether they are looking for all feedback whether it be positive or negative.

Unfortunately therr are some that lack tact when communicating to others. On the same there are some that do not tack constructive criticism well even with tact. 

However there are times when someone is passing on bad information that needs to be corrected. I'd rather take the heat of correcting someone than have someone pass on misinformation such as painting automotive paint on bare plastice than have someone ruin a kit.

In the end there are numerous ways to enjoy the hobby and none of them are wrong.

8 minutes ago, Xingu said:

If someone posts something that I may not have tried or thought of, I may look into trying it out on a future build.

Absolutely!

Done that many times.

That's why I love critique on "On the Bench" threads.

Sometimes those items can be addressed on a current build before it's finished.

Steve

A few years back, I received a phone call from a model builder in Illinois. Of course, we talked about building 1/24 and 1/25 scale models. The discussion got around to him asking me about how much detail I put into a build. I told him I might add a moderate amount of detail, but not much "Super Detailing". He seemed to be appalled that I wasn't going to use the right scale size wire for a carburetor throttle return spring. Also, according to him, the firewall needed the bulkhead connector for all the engine bay wiring I was supposed to stuff in there! There were other comments made, including the fact that the kit engine was slightly smaller than 1/25 scale.

I told him that adding those details were absolutely great for builders of his caliber to add to a build, but my level of modeling skill was not that high. I add wired distributors, sometimes heater hoses, and sometimes battery cables, but every little whiz bang that goes under a hood would drive me even battier than I am, already! LOL I built the car to my liking, and it is still shining on my shelf. I haven't heard from him, since.

I really admire the skill levels of the fantastic builders hereabouts, and I do use their build threads for education. It has helped me build better models, but I'm still not at the "Super Detail" level.

I have a tendency to become overwhelmed with detailing, sometimes, and that's when it goes on the back burner. I have a full custom build that I started back in 2009, and it might be near the 50% completion stage. Some things I've tried on that build bogged me down, and rather than fling it across the Hobby Room, I shoved it to the back! LOL Looking at the builds here will help me complete that build, eventually. 

But, even at that, I'm trying to keep it fun, and build it for me. If other builders, whether they are more advanced, or less advanced than myself like what I have built, then I'll take that as a compliment.

As far as critique, I openly welcome comments on what I do. Most times there will be a morsel embedded in those comments that will help me become a better builder.

Critics sometimes try to come across as experts on the subject matter. That's okay, too, but as Steve mentioned in an above post, he was told the taillights were wrong on his build, only to have the statement retracted at a later time.

Bottom line for me is, I try to keep it fun, no matter how much I put into it.

9 hours ago, Bucky said:

I told him that adding those details were absolutely great for builders of his caliber to add to a build, but my level of modeling skill was not that high. I add wired distributors, sometimes heater hoses, and sometimes battery cables, but every little whiz bang that goes under a hood would drive me even battier than I am, already! LOL I built the car to my liking, and it is still shining on my shelf. I haven't heard from him, since.

agreed!   I will always wire an engine, but lately have been using pre-wired dizzys.  I will never ever pull out a wiring diagram and go crazy getting the wires to the correct plugs.  Just not necessary for me.   I also will go for the radiator and heater hoses, and battery cables.  Stuff that sits on top and makes a visual difference to the finished model.

IMG 1769 - Copy

Here's one I went a bit further.   I got into a mode of finishing my old projects that have been sitting for years.  I finally pulled this one off the shelf and decided I'd finish it, I'd even do it curbside just to get it done!   Well a funny thing happened.  I pulled up some photos of Volare engine bays on eBay.  I saw how full the engine bay was with wiring etc.  Then it hit me....  could I do this?  How much detail could I accomplish?   Well, about halfway.  This is the most wired engine I've ever done.  And I probably won't be doing this again.  Purely one of those,  "can I do this?"  things!   It was fun to do once for that sense of accomplishment, but would be tedious on a regular basis.

On 8/22/2019 at 9:09 AM, Tom Geiger said:

I will always wire an engine, but lately have been using pre-wired dizzys.

Nothing personal Tom, but "dizzy" sounds really silly to me.  One of those things I hear which makes me roll my eyes. I know, it takes 6 more letters to type in "distributor", but still . . .

5 hours ago, peteski said:

Nothing personal Tom, but "dizzy" sounds really silly to me.  One of those things I hear which makes me roll my eyes. I know, it takes 6 more letters to type in "distributor", but still . . .

Pete, in defence of Tom, he's been hanging around Aussies too much!  As dumb as it sounds, we all say dizzy - Australians are notorious for shortening pretty much our entire vocabulary - it's just how we roll.  I know there has been a steady stream of Aussies ('nuther abbreviation!) through Tom's front door over the years and I guess our bad influence is rubbing off on him!

Honest, it's not his fault!

Cheers

Alan

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 4:14 PM, Xingu said:

That is the exact thing I took away from that story.

Rivet counter and accurate builder are two different things to me. A rivet counter is an accurate builder that lacks people skills. We have lots of accurate builders here and very few rivet counters.

This is the perfect response, although I think "very few" might be off a little.....

11 hours ago, alan barton said:

Pete, in defence of Tom, he's been hanging around Aussies too much!  As dumb as it sounds, we all say dizzy - Australians are notorious for shortening pretty much our entire vocabulary - it's just how we roll.  I know there has been a steady stream of Aussies ('nuther abbreviation!) through Tom's front door over the years and I guess our bad influence is rubbing off on him!

Honest, it's not his fault!

Cheers

Alan

Thank you for defending my Aussie vocab (another abbreviation) Alan!   I heard it and it stuck!   I love the different takes on the English language from country to country.  And yea, I probably got dizzy from you!  ?

For those not in the know, Alan and I have been mates for over 25 years!  We were introduced by mutual acquaintances before the Internet!  I had written an article on Aussie Valiants for the old Slant 6 club newsletter and I asked them to proof read it.  They said they weren't qualified, but knew just the bloke!  So I sent it to Alan and we became pen pals.  Then he rang me up one year that he wanted to attend NNL East.  I picked him up at Newark Airport and we had a great time.

Last visit was 6 years ago (can it be that long!) when he and his lovely wife Ute stayed with me for a week.  We did some tourist stuff like hanging with the Amish, but went to a model car swap meet in Wayne, NJ and the Liars Show on Long Island.   That week one of the Liars called me to brag that a real live Australian was coming to their show!  I replied, "He's sitting right here, wanna talk to him?"   We had a blast!

And yea, I still owe you a visit!  

Many years ago I was in Cincinnati on business and walked past a Chinese restaurant.  They had a huge two sided sign on the sidewalk proclaiming  "Prawn Dinner Special!" , The place was empty.  I thought nobody in Ohio knew what a prawn was, other than the Chinese guy who found it in a Chinese to English dictionary!

Edited by Tom Geiger

23 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Of course there are prawns, and then there are prawns.   I was with some friends at a Vietnamese restaurant some years back, and one of them ordered this prawn dish.  She got one whole, gigantic prawn that covered the entire plate.

A wicked jumbo shrimp?  :D

• 1 month later...
On 8/15/2019 at 5:54 PM, GaryR said:

Build what you like guys, I really enjoy you guys with great amazing skills, but I'm taking it down a few notches and just going with the flow!

Anybody else feel this way?

Yes. Due to life, my building time is limited, so at some point I had to decide to limit the amount of work I was putting into each model if I wanted to finish a model in a reasonable amount of time. So now I'm trying to stay artistic, with much less scratch building (I don't finish a lot of models with lots of scratchbuilding anyway) and keeping mods simple and straighforward.