Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cunningham C4

Gramps46

The model, description, and photos are by Scott Kercher.  

Cunningham C4R, Le Mans trials, 1954. 

1595056986_WHITE1BWsm2.jpg.e4c121c766044a2bea4db2e880fcc22a.jpg

The Paul Fisher resin kit. I kept the body, wheels, tires, brakes and knock off, the dash and steering wheel, one seat, and the 2 front headlights and driving lights. Everything else was scratchbuilt,or kitbashed/ modified. Hood was cut out and a vacuformed one replaced it, with 34 louvers made from quarter round strips. Chassis started as one from a Monogram Cobra, filed down to represent the oval tubing used and front suspension was made up from the parts box. Engine is from an AMT '58 Chrysler [I think] with a 4 log manifold and carbs and trumpets from Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland. Inner fenders and firewall made from sheet stock.

Interior made up from sheet stock, with new transmission hump to better represent the Cadillac 3-speed used at Le Mans.  The passenger side floor is about 3 inches higher than the drivers side because the battery lives in the footwell. A "shorty seat" from the parts box fills in for the passenger seat. The rear curtain is cigarette pack paper, painted black. I included a scissors jack, door hinges, door panel frames, interior door handle, and a fire extinguisher.

595679554_WHITE4COLORsm2.jpg.4437551efd9a7554e567676e04fa89e3.jpg

There are a few modifications that should be made to the model if you are doing the #2 car. The doors and cowls are different, and I added an extra louver to the bottom set on the front fenders. The radiator blind is made from cigarette paper, white glued to the front.

Hood straps made from masking tape and wire. Fabric tonneau made from a piece of cloth, and painted Humbrol RAF equipment blue along with the seats.

Body paint is Tamiya Racing White from the rattle can with the stripes air brushed on with a mix of Tamiya acrylics. Wheels are Humbrol Metalcoat. Decals were re-sized as I thought what was given was a bit too big. Florida plate is a zerox reduction from a magazine!

1416577109_WHITE16BWsm2.jpg.46c5c6cfc48ba58099be8d2613014842.jpg

Finally, I want to thank Gary McNutt for the model, the inspiration and his archives, Rich Cherosky for the vacuformed hood, Mike Sells for the decals, and Tommy Kortman for the many photos of the real thing at  the Simeone Foundation.