Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1925 Ford T -- Chopped Top

Casey

1 hour ago, Richard Bartrop said:

In case you hadn't noticed, this is the car kit news and reviews section, so I gave a review.  I outlined what I thought was useful to me, and what wasn't, based on my experiences with its previous incarnation.  People are free to accept or reject those views as they see fit, and it you want to keep pretending this is the bit kit ever, go right ahead, but don't expect me to change my opinion.

You are more than welcome to your opinion.  But I am just entitled to disagree and offer a counterpoint to your opinion. You don't need to sound like people are blind because they aren't as concerned about those metal axles as you are. Condescension is a sad and pitiful attitude to have. Also, I don't think dont "think or pretend it's the best kit ever" either. That's just your imagination driving down the wrong street. But it certainly was one of the best for the time period it came out in. And certainly not "horrible" today. You seem to have spent your entire day trying to convince people that they are stupid if they buy one. How's that working out for you?

20171108_170858-vi (1).jpg

Edited by Dave Darby

I like the box art, but I will most likely pass on this, unless I get it cheap because I have been buying them for years and have bunches of them already. They are not perfect, but few kits are more fun than the old Trophy Series kits! 

10 hours ago, larman said:

I like the box art, but I will most likely pass on this, unless I get it cheap because I have been buying them for years and have bunches of them already...

Same here.  As I remember, there was a LONG spell when the '25 T kits were hard to find.  At swap meets I used to paw thru parts boxes, looking for pieces of those kits.  The unchopped "Tall T" coupe body seemed especially hard to find. I remember being real happy when I found an unpainted Tall T body and glass in one of those swap meet parts boxes. I still have it, in a giant Ziploc bag crammed with other '25 T parts I hoarded over the years.  And like you, now I have bunches of the re-issued kits. One less thing I have to look for at swap meets.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/19/2019 at 8:39 AM, Snake45 said:

I'm trying hard to like this T coupe body and just not achieving much success. I'm thinking of whacking off the turtledeck, scratchbuilding the lower part of the body like a period truck cab, and then using that with a shortened "Fad T" type pickup bed. How might that look? :unsure:

It might look something like this old survivor.

20170107_130129-vi (1).jpg

20170107_130107-vi (1).jpg

• Like 1

I’ve got one of the AMT 25 T’s going, I never thought that I would like it until I got into it. An excellent boxed Model T frame and the suspension is great to modify. Mine shown has had the frame Z’d and the much maligned 241 Red Ram out of the newer Ala Kart. Hope that y’all enjoy.

0CE6FD15-EC37-4B38-AA35-9797666DD223.jpeg

Many of the kit parts in this T are so chunky that I'd tend to substitute Monogram or Revell parts that are more accurate or in-scale (that front axle is a prime example!). However the quickchange rearend and axle bells, Z'd T frame, headlights/stands, grille shell, wheels and tires are all good stuff. The engine block is not accurate for a Lincoln Y-block, but the air cleaners are darn nice compared to many other AMT/Monogram air cleaners of the time (no mold seam down the middle!) and the headers will fit a hemi engine.  I didn't have much use for the stock model T buggy parts.

That said, as has been pointed out already: this kit is perfect for 60s-nostalgia "survivor" style building....in the right hands, these old AMT hot rods can turn out beautifully (lookin' at your examples here Dave D!)

I'm not sure I'd drop $45 (Canadian) on another T like this, when a more detailed kit would give me more kitbashing components for the money...but who knows, I bought the Vicky when it came 'round a few years ago, purely so I could leave my original '60s example unmolested. $20 would be much easier to swallow, haha.

Here's my sole finished example (actually chopped down from the full-height body in the T-bucket double T kit).

T_frontTQ_01sm-vi.jpg