Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 MPC Don Prudhomme Wynn's Winder TFD

Casey

• 3 months later...

Hi Alan...greetings Mate.  

The Revell 1/16th is conceptually similar in design but far more detailed (as you would expect in a larger scale.) 

The MPC kit represents the very final evolution of the front engine dragster genre (including the longest wheelbase) before the rear engine invasion started in 1971.....the Revell kit is from the same era.  

Without digging out the rulers I think the Revell kit wheelbase is probably slightly shorter (in scale) than the MPC kit.  

BTW I recently dragged out the Revell 1/16th and marveled at what a fine job Revell (back then) did with that kit.  Clearly (in my mind) the most detailed front engine dragster kit ever.  

Best....TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

I just wanted  Round2 to know what a Superb job they did on the Box Art!  With the Low camera angle, the Font and Layout of the Names, the package just screams "Buy me! Buy Me, NOW!" 

Exactly what Box Art is supposed to do.  I hope they sell a million of these kits.

Edited by alexis

My issues with this kit are the Blower setup and the fat body. These cars had more slender noses and that would really make these kits stand out. The blower is a mashed up generic thing, mainly the end plates. 

Sure wish Revell would have scaled down their FED kits like they did with the RED kits. That would have been the ultimate in 1/25th scale FED kits. 

But, I am still going to buy it. 

4 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

My issues with this kit are the Blower setup and the fat body. These cars had more slender noses and that would really make these kits stand out. The blower is a mashed up generic thing, mainly the end plates. 

Sure wish Revell would have scaled down their FED kits like they did with the RED kits. That would have been the ultimate in 1/25th scale FED kits. 

But, I am still going to buy it. 

Jesse, totally agree with you on that chronically undersized MPC blower that was in nearly every funny car and dragster kit they did until the early 1970's.   Fortunately most of us have properly sized extras in our parts box, or you can buy a great example from calnaga castings for only a few bucks....TIM

I love front engine dragsters and I allready have a few of the earlier issues from AMT/MPC (Round 2) starting with the Ramchargers reissue from the Buyers Choice lineup.
I agree, this kit has it's shortcomings like the body as said above, the engine isn't the best representation of a 426 Hemi either, the blower and injector hat looks strange and the valve covers are weird, the Funny Car kits from MPC had better engines than these FED's, I also don't like the front wheel with the shield over the spokes, it would have been better to have that optional.
If I would have been into large scale models I would for sure rather go for the Revell FED's as they are more accurate...but I don't have room for large scale models.
I don't know if they were called Top Fuel Dragsters as much back in the day, the class designation for these cars was AA/FD and not TF like it is now.

Edited by Force

21 minutes ago, biscayne63 said:

Anybody have a photo of the decal sheet? Want to see if they really did the red '69 decals and not the blue '70 decals. Thanks

At this link you will find a detailed recap of the contents of this new Round kit release, along with commentary to go along with each of the 13 large format images.   That includes an image of the decal sheet, too.  Hope that helps...TIM

5 hours ago, dustym said:

I have the McEwen FED, is this the same but in yellow? Sorry if it was already mentioned.

No, not exactly.  The McEwen kit has an additional chrome fret with a new injector new top hat, and three-piece new front airfoil that is not in the Prudhomme kit; it is molded in dark blue instead of light yellow, and of course it has an entirely different decal sheet.....TIM 

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 4:36 PM, tim boyd said:

No, not exactly.  The McEwen kit has an additional chrome fret with a new injector new top hat, and three-piece new front airfoil that is not in the Prudhomme kit; it is molded in dark blue instead of light yellow, and of course it has an entirely different decal sheet.....TIM 

Sorry I was a little vague, when i asked this, so thanks for the reply.

If it wasn't so close to Christmas, i would have ordered it. oh well, in a couple of weeks anyway. Just love FED's.