Model Cars Magazine Forum

I've decided to call this a car since it is based on the Leone station wagon, plus it has seats in the bed! ?

Anywho, this is the original release of the AMT Subaru BRAT. Not sure if the recent rerelease is as bad as the original in the fitment department, but it was a struggle putting this together! It is painted GM Pewter metallic with 3 coats of clear, and the wheels and bumpers/rollbar were painted a contrasting bright orange. The only things not box stock are the plug wires, mudflaps, and the tires. They look much better than the kit tires, and are slightly larger. The decals were starting to tear a bit, so I just cut them out with the backing and glued them to the body instead, and I think they turned out alright. Now to the pictures!

48555820317_c89d93a40c_c.jpg

48555820177_9017c47baf_c.jpg

48555819697_e395ecd736_c.jpg

48555820042_046d76f453_c.jpg

48555678021_83a40202d6_c.jpg

I've been on-the-fence about whether I wanted to purchase this kit or not, but based on your excellent looking build of it, I now think I will!  I was letting the kit-supplied tires be one of the main reasons for my hesitancy, and your tire-selection takes that concern away. I also was hesitant because I had never seen the built-underside of this kit, and yours looks awesome there as well! Nice job!

That turned out very nice. I'm currently building one and can't decide on what color to paint it. It's between light blue, sunflower yellow or silver, like yours. I've been leaning towards silver, as I've used the blue in other  recent builds and am saving yellow for future projects.  I really like the silver, just maybe a different shade with white accents.  The tires on yours look just like the ones on my reissued kit, so I'm not sure what the original issue kit tires where. Your parts fit looks great, the reissue isn't that great either. I guess it's better than not having anything but memories. As long as they keep reissuing long forgotten kits, I'll keep buying them.

Great job on your build, 

Jeff 

18 hours ago, Goose1957 said:

That turned out very nice. I'm currently building one and can't decide on what color to paint it. It's between light blue, sunflower yellow or silver, like yours. I've been leaning towards silver, as I've used the blue in other  recent builds and am saving yellow for future projects.  I really like the silver, just maybe a different shade with white accents.  The tires on yours look just like the ones on my reissued kit, so I'm not sure what the original issue kit tires where. Your parts fit looks great, the reissue isn't that great either. I guess it's better than not having anything but memories. As long as they keep reissuing long forgotten kits, I'll keep buying them.

Great job on your build, 

Jeff 

Thanks! Luckily the fit looks great where you can mostly see it, but it was a blast since they didn't believe much in locating tabs. The tires are not the kit tires, though yes they do look similar. I think the kit ones are Firestones, not positive. The BFGs I used seemed to look a bit better molded and were slightly taller as well, however I had to narrow up the wheels a bit so they would fit properly.

On 8/19/2019 at 1:28 PM, Jordan White said:

Thanks! Luckily the fit looks great where you can mostly see it, but it was a blast since they didn't believe much in locating tabs. The tires are not the kit tires, though yes they do look similar. I think the kit ones are Firestones, not positive. The BFGs I used seemed to look a bit better molded and were slightly taller as well, however I had to narrow up the wheels a bit so they would fit properly.

Here's a pic of the tires from the rerelease Brat kit I'm working on now. They are the BF Goodrich TA radials. I just painted the radial lettering because I think I saw in another thread that these tires would not be the TA for that time period. I dunno, if somebody knows better, please correct me.

Thanks, Jeff 

20190827_054139.jpg