Model Cars Magazine Forum

Duplicolor touch-up paint question

Hello all!! New guy with some paint questions. I've been building aircraft for decades, been using Tamiya primer in spraybomb with great success under any paint. I've read the brand Duplicolor is good, think the color selection is great.Anybody have any experiences with Tamiya primer under Duplicolor, or is there another primer better/equivalent? I remember decades/half a century ago trying an automotive touch-up paint on a plastic body, it attacked and crazed the plastic. Don't really want a repeat of that. Also, do you spray out of the can (ok with me) or do you decant/airbrush the paint? I see Testors has a two step paint system, are results good? Thanks for any advice.

Don

I haven't tried duplicolour over tamiya primer but i have used tamiya paint over duplicolour primer with duplicolour clear and I found it needed longer to gas out or it became sorta tacky when polishing. I also use duplicolour clear plastic primer as my first couple of coats before the normal primer and haven't had any crazing.

also I only used spraycans

Edited by stitchdup

Thanks for the response, Leslie and Roger!! Looks like nothing jumps out as being a "No!! don't do that!!" from anyone. I'm looking at the duplicolor for a bit of variety. Tamiya spray bombs are great, but you kinda run out of choices. I'm starting in on the Moebius Comet, would like to go for a different color, nothing from Tamiya is what i want.

Don

14 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Keep in mind that Duplicolor touch up paints are formulated for 1:1 vehicles, so as a consequence, metallic colors contain far too large of metallic particles to look realistic.

So to avoid the "bass boat" effect, stick with "pearl" and "mica" colors.

Steve

Never would have thought of that!! Makes sense!! Thanks Steve.

Don

3 hours ago, dmthamade said:

Thanks for the response, Leslie and Roger!! Looks like nothing jumps out as being a "No!! don't do that!!" from anyone. I'm looking at the duplicolor for a bit of variety. Tamiya spray bombs are great, but you kinda run out of choices. I'm starting in on the Moebius Comet, would like to go for a different color, nothing from Tamiya is what i want.

Don

With the off shore plastic its either yes or no..You will find out..Haven't used it with Tamiya Primer, which I think is too thin and doesn't take well to Duplicolor paints which I think are hotter..I use Duplicolor sandable primer on everything and it works good..

22 minutes ago, Speedfreak said:

You should have no problems, just give the primer 30 minutes to set up begore top coat.

That may not be a universal time in all climates. I've seen lacquer flash off in ten minutes and also seen wet or softer pockets in 30 depending on weather and depth of coats. And that's just flash off, says nothing for being dry down to the painted structure. It could still be out gassing in an hour.

Course the above says nothing about force drying in a cooker or using a hair dryer.

Dupli Color metallics won't have a bass boat effect. They're not perfectly scaled for a model. But, they're as close (if not closer) than a lot of scale paints. Way better than Testors One Coats. If Tamiya doesn't have the color you want in metallic, but has it in non metallic, you can simply spray a coat of their clear pearl over it. Still, don't dismiss the Dupli Color metallics. This Chevelle was painted with Dupli Color Bright Aqua. It certainly doesn't have the bass boat look.

48260437057_b252ce007f_b.jpg

40 minutes ago, Dave G. said:

That may not be a universal time in all climates. I've seen lacquer flash off in ten minutes and also seen wet or softer pockets in 30 depending on weather and depth of coats. And that's just flash off, says nothing for being dry down to the painted structure. It could still be out gassing in an hour.

Course the above says nothing about force drying in a cooker or using a hair dryer.

Just a helpful suggestion, since Tamiya primer cans give no directions as far as applying top coat but DupliColor does ( 30 minutes ).

9 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Really? :blink:

Was it automotive touch up paint?

I wouldn't recommend trying that to anyone!

Steve

Yup, it was their automotive touch-up spray paint. One light coat and two normal coats, along with 3 coats of wheel clear coat and it turned out perfectly. It's the Subaru BRAT in the trucks under glass section if you want to see the result.

1 hour ago, Plowboy said:

Dupli Color metallics won't have a bass boat effect. They're not perfectly scaled for a model. But, they're as close (if not closer) than a lot of scale paints. Way better than Testors One Coats. If Tamiya doesn't have the color you want in metallic, but has it in non metallic, you can simply spray a coat of their clear pearl over it. Still, don't dismiss the Dupli Color metallics. This Chevelle was painted with Dupli Color Bright Aqua. It certainly doesn't have the bass boat look.

The Chevelle looks great Roger!

My response is not intended to stop anyone from using whatever paint they choose.

It was merely a warning.

As with Testors metallics, Duplicolor metallics are unpredictable as to the the metallic flake size.

Some may be pretty good, but many are not.

I say this from experience as well.

I have used Duplicolor paints a lot over the years, and still do occasionally, but I shy away from metallics.

My recommendation to anyone who wishes to use a Duplicolor metallic colors is to test it before use.

Of course the only issue there is once you have purchased a can and find that it's not what you expected, you're stuck with it.

This is the main reason why I stick with Scale Finishes and MCW paints.

It's consistent.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

I am a major consumer of Duplicolor primer!  It covers well and dries thin so it doesn't obscure details.

I also use Duplicolor sprays for a lot of my models.   Note on the can whether it's a clear coat paint or not, which usually follows how the 1:1 car it was made for was finished.  Those will come out dull, but a clear coat will straighten that out.

Anyone else notice a big price jump on Duplicolor colors?   Pep Boys went from around $6.50 a can to close to ten bucks!

Ditto on the price jump, 3-4 years ago when I started using them $6.50 now right at $10 or a little over, unreal! At $ 6.50 was a great bargain compared with Tamiya, now not so much but still better. Most of my best paint jobs are DupliColor, and I use their primer all the time even under enamels, give several hours to cure out before enamel top coat. 

DupliColor also makes a ' General Purpose ' primer under the name of ' Brite Touch ' I use it all the time' works great and it's a little less money.

Edited by Speedfreak

OK then, lots of excellent feedback and experiences. So, time to take what I've been given and experiment a little. I have a few paint hulks i'll sacrifice. I plan on spraying one with Tamiya primer, let it dry about an hour, then hit it with a color coat of Duplicolor. Second hulk i'll hit with Duplicolor primer, then hit with Duplicolor. No doubt it will be ok, but it will give me an idea how it lays down, how thick it looks, detail hiding, etc. The Tamiya primer I know I can hit with Tamiya color with as little as 30 minutes drying, will see how it works with Duplicolor. Did look at the web page, so have an idea which primer and color coat to get. Thanks for the help, guys!! Your BTDT experiences help a lot.

Don

45 minutes ago, dmthamade said:

OK then, lots of excellent feedback and experiences. So, time to take what I've been given and experiment a little. I have a few paint hulks i'll sacrifice. I plan on spraying one with Tamiya primer, let it dry about an hour, then hit it with a color coat of Duplicolor. Second hulk i'll hit with Duplicolor primer, then hit with Duplicolor. No doubt it will be ok, but it will give me an idea how it lays down, how thick it looks, detail hiding, etc. The Tamiya primer I know I can hit with Tamiya color with as little as 30 minutes drying, will see how it works with Duplicolor. Did look at the web page, so have an idea which primer and color coat to get. Thanks for the help, guys!! Your BTDT experiences help a lot.

Don

That's your best bet.

Experiment and decide what works for you.

Another tidbit of information would be to be a little more careful about the Duplicolor primer.

I use it all of the time and love it, but it tends to be hotter than any of the hobby primers.

Use light coats and you shouldn't have much for issues with crazing.

Just from my experience, I lay down several coats of Duplicolor primer maybe 20 minutes apart and then let it dry overnight before spraying color.

Not to say that there are not other techniques, but this has worked out to be pretty safe for me.

Steve

55 minutes ago, dmthamade said:

Second hulk i'll hit with Duplicolor primer, then hit with Duplicolor. No doubt it will be ok, but it will give me an idea how it lays down, how thick it looks, detail hiding, etc.

The Duplicolor paint will look heavy on the model when wet but will shrink down to show all the detail as it dries.   

I find the dry times between Duplicolor / Tamiya to be about the same.    I've used both on the 24 Hour builds and have had no issues moving fast.