Model Cars Magazine Forum

Duplicolor touch-up paint question

I do primer, paint, and clear all in one day. I like to do it all while I'm "in the groove" so to speak......... you do want to wait about 3 or 4 days to polish the clear, tho.....

These paint jobs aren't polished, once you get the hang of the spray pattern it's almost impossible to get orange peel and such....

196032353_starlinerfoil001.JPG.fb24b2068fec3f0406e5dc76b49c1217.JPG

84938409_edselpaint003.JPG.db97fd13fa6717b6f510e12193074d71.JPG

OK, so i bought a can of the Duplicolor sandable primer. Big can. As a first try, i have the floor pan/ chassis and the two inner panels to paint. Read instructions, prepped parts and...painted. Hit the parts with two light coats 20min apart, then one color coat. Stuff dries fast, no crazing, worked as you guys said?. I have to say, it has a WIDE spray pattern!! but it's for real cars!!

JHgKs1.jpg

Thanks for the great advice, guys!!

Don

2 hours ago, Bucky said:

I wonder if those nozzles will fit other brands of paint? If so, it would be nice to find a source for buying just the nozzles.

grafitti shops sell varieties of can nozzles with different fan patterns. anything from finelines to large area coverage so you may find something there

Edited by stitchdup

3 hours ago, Speedfreak said:

Good job Don! Hope your paint job goed smoothly.

Well i'm happy with the primer, now I just have to pick the color coat. I'm doing the Model King Comet Cyclone, hoping to do a different color than what's on the box. I should start a build in progress post.

Don

Something to keep in mind...... DupliColor paints are very much affected by the color primer that you use. You can change the whole tone of a color by changing the color primer...... make sure that if you have several parts to be the same color, that you use the same color primer on all of them........

12 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

Something to keep in mind...... DupliColor paints are very much affected by the color primer that you use. You can change the whole tone of a color by changing the color primer...... make sure that if you have several parts to be the same color, that you use the same color primer on all of them........

Even two different shades of gray primer will make a difference! 

I built two Chevy pickups at the same time a few years back. I used gray primer on one, red primer on the other. I shot a Burnt Orange Duplicolor paint over both trucks. They do have a slightly different look to them, especially outside, in the natural sunlight.

45 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

Yup!! That's something I did know, with car colors it's more important than a low viz F-16. Also affects the amount of color coats needed for coverage, eg. white over dark grey primer vs white over white primer. I do remember candy colors are greatly affected by the base coat, light silver vs dark silver or gold. All this to say stay consistent with the primers!!

Don

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 3:03 AM, stitchdup said:

grafitti shops sell varieties of can nozzles with different fan patterns. anything from finelines to large area coverage so you may find something there

There are vendors that cater specifically to graffiti artists??  And here I used to think it was vandalism.:huh:

EDIT: Wow...I had no idea!

https://shop.bombingscience.com/canada/spray-paint-caps

Edited by NOBLNG

One tip when it gets time to paint, is paint the underside of the hood and under hood (if it's going to be body color) first. Then tape the hood to the body just a touch above the fenders so that it isn't touching them. When you paint, your hood will be the same color as the body. It's very easy to get the hood just a shade off. Especially if it's a metallic paint. Solids aren't much different. Just one extra shot of paint will change the shade on a panel.