Model Cars Magazine Forum

1953 Ford F100 Hot Rod

Anybody know why Ford set the axle back? Maneuverability. A shorter wheelbase yields a tighter turning circle. It was actually a selling feature Ford used at the time. ? Aesthetics were an afterthought for trucks in the '50's. 

That being said, I saw this done on a 1:1 '56 ages ago and I've thought of giving it a shot in scale. This one's already shaping up nicely. 

• 1 month later...

Last little bit of fab work involved pinning all of the handles and arm rests that come with the Drag City Casting interior kit. Since the handles are too small to drill deep enough to insert pins in from the back i went ahead and drilled all the way through and made the pin heads part of the handles. I looked up pictures of full scale trucks for placement. 

1572226409938-vi.jpg

I finally made a hobby shop trip to get the paint supplies needed to break this project out of primer jail. Main color is Testors one-coat Root Beer with Tamiya clear and Tamiya Racing White for the accent color. I'll wait a week and then polish it out and wax it for a deep shine. Here's a real loose mock up in terrible lighting  just to show the color scheme. 

1573141638178-vi.jpg

1573141652515-vi.jpg

1573141709332-vi.jpg

Also, I love this caricature decal from AMT's recently released '34 Pickup retro-deluxe where the decal sheet was restored to the original 1960's release. Problem is that it's pretty big and hard to fit on smaller 30's vehicles but then I got to thinking that in the 50's and 60's a lot of guys named their rods and customs, especially for car shows,  and there was plenty of room on the big bed cover.

1573141676771-vi.jpg

B)

Edited by Dennis Lacy

Work continues on the F100.

I screwed up when I painted the running boards/floor piece in that I should have continued the white up the sides into the cab. Had a total brain fart there and did it black. Didn't like it as soon as I saw it mocked up so into the stripper. With the paint removed I realized this would be a good opportunity to address the exhaust. I wanted chrome side pipes and found a set I like in AMT's most recent '36 Ford Coupe/Roadster retro-deluxe issue. I installed pins that fit into holes on the under sides of the boards where the 4 tabs are and drilled out the ends then painted flat black up in there. I also added some exhaust pipes that disappear up into the frame since that area where they hook up to the side pipes will be partly visible.

1573452840231-vi.jpg

1573452874368-vi.jpg

1573452906837-vi.jpg

On to some finish work.

I assembled the wheels, sanded the tire treads and gave the wheels a thin black wash.

1573452921597-vi.jpg

I assembled the headlight rings and lenses to the grill. I'm so happy with how this turned out by doing the separate chrome rings!

1573486895674-vi.jpg

And I did some detail painting of the dashboard and steering column along with some decals to go with the bed cover.

1573452952919-vi.jpg

All for now.

• Like 1

Yesterday I got the Drag City Casting seat and interior panels finish painted. Tamiya sprays: Maroon, Racing White and Flat Clear.

1573710565773-vi.jpg

And last night I had some time to myself so i polished all of the body pieces using Adam's Paint Correcting Polish and a micro fiber cloth. I still need to wax everything. 

1573710494044-vi.jpg

1573710505876-vi.jpg

1573710523464-vi.jpg

1573710553762-vi.jpg

1573710542402-vi.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I love this build so much Dennis - right before I go to sleep I usually end up daydreaming about future builds I’d like to do as I nod off, and this F100 has been front and center in my thoughts for months now!  You did a beautiful job on it, and one of your in-progress photos gave me an idea that I haven’t seen done before.

Say all that to say - thanks!  Really enjoyed seeing this come together!

12 hours ago, CabDriver said:

I love this build so much Dennis - right before I go to sleep I usually end up daydreaming about future builds I’d like to do as I nod off, and this F100 has been front and center in my thoughts for months now!  You did a beautiful job on it, and one of your in-progress photos gave me an idea that I haven’t seen done before.

Say all that to say - thanks!  Really enjoyed seeing this come together!

Thanks! 

I do the same thing quite often as far as the day dreaming goes. It comes and goes at all hours of the day. My head always has project ideas swirling around in it. 

So what’s the thing you’ve never seen before that got you thinking?

On 11/9/2019 at 8:22 PM, Dennis Lacy said:

1573141638178-vi.jpg

1573141652515-vi.jpg

1573141709332-vi.jpg

I really liked these shots of it without the rear fenders on - it made me think “huh, with a little more rear tire and something interesting detail-wise on those outer bedsides that’s actually a really cool look!”  Maybe run the exhausts up behind the side of the cab and along the side of the bed somehow?  

Never saw a F100 without the rear fenders before - it would need some work to look like it’s almost MEANT to look that way, but I’ve been bouncing that idea around in my head for months now!  I’ve got the kit here - just haven’t found the perfect wheel/tire combination for it just yet - but you definitely inadvertently inspired me with those in-progress shots!

Edited by CabDriver
Poor spelling when sleepy

On 7/5/2020 at 9:38 AM, CabDriver said:

I really likd these shots of it without the rear fenders on - it made me think “huh, with a little more rear tire and something interesting detail-wise on those outer bedsides that’s actually a really cool look!”  Maybe run the exhausts you’re behind the side of the cab and along the side of the bed somehow?  

Never saw a F100 without the rear fenders before - it would need some work to look like it’s almost MEANT to look that way, but I’ve been bouncing that idea around in my head for months now!  I’ve got the kit here - just haven’t found the perfect wheel/tire combination for it just yet - but you definitely inadvertently inspired me with those in-progress shots!

I’ve never seen that done before, either. Someone on Instagram asked me if I was leaving the rear fenders off when I shared these same progress pics back whenever it was. Said they kinda liked it. Maybe that was you? I’m sure it can be pulled off if that is part of the design from the start. There’s definitely potential. Like you said, some kind of detail added to the bed sides to make them more interesting to look at and a lot more tire. The belly-burner exhausts ain’t a bad idea, either. 

Get after it! 

4 hours ago, Dennis Lacy said:

I’ve never seen that done before, either. Someone on Instagram asked me if I was leaving the rear fenders off when I shared these same progress pics back whenever it was. Said they kinda liked it. Maybe that was you? I’m sure it can be pulled off if that is part of the design from the start. There’s definitely potential. Like you said, some kind of detail added to the bed sides to make them more interesting to look at and a lot more tire. The belly-burner exhausts ain’t a bad idea, either. 

Get after it! 

Oh yeah, that totally sounds like me, and I know I follow you on Instagram too - that shows how long I’ve been thinking about this build of yours and wanting to do my own take on it!  ?

Will get to the getting here shortly! ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Hey Dennis-

I dug up this thread because I'm entering a group build on YouTube. We will all be building the Monogram 1/24 55 F-100, and I was pretty uninspired. The AMT 53 is such a better kit. Think they'd notice if I built an AMT 53 instead? 😁Your cool little F-100 build brings lots of inspiration!  Fair warning I may copy some things on mine you did on this cool little 53.  Definitely gonna be built in Hot Rod or Kustom style. 

Did you say where the double line skinny whites came from? Gotta get me some of those.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dan Hay said:

Hey Dennis-

I dug up this thread because I'm entering a group build on YouTube. We will all be building the Monogram 1/24 55 F-100, and I was pretty uninspired. The AMT 53 is such a better kit. Think they'd notice if I built an AMT 53 instead? 😁Your cool little F-100 build brings lots of inspiration!  Fair warning I may copy some things on mine you did on this cool little 53.  Definitely gonna be built in Hot Rod or Kustom style. 

Did you say where the double line skinny whites came from? Gotta get me some of those.  

The double line tires are from one of AMT’s parts packs that I think was fairly new at the time. You get 4 tires and 4 cheater slicks. 

• Like 1