Model Cars Magazine Forum

"City Slicker" Dodge Charger

spencer1984

I really dig the box art on this one, and wanted to follow that as much as possible (anyone know if this is a Don Greer piece? I haven't been able to find info anywhere).

MPC879M-2.jpg.a2ce40ead9332b826d0b8c694f75e463.jpg0879.jpg.332e1cb332dcac21dbf5edb2bdab7a72.jpg

The original plan was to simply polish and assemble, adding only basic trim.  Then the more I looked at it the more I didn't like the kit wheels, or the molded color, or...well, you all know the drill.

city-slicker-01.jpg.53f37a51ced6bb00cfd49b99aaa8fb4c.jpg

city-slicker-02.jpg.5c0ab47dff0fa52ddec7fddd6660d962.jpg

city-slicker-03.jpg.2b446f1c8710223869054efe37a9b353.jpg

• Like 1

Well done! Nice paint and foiling. These MPC Challenger Charger snap kits are so much fun to build. ☺️

Actually I like the wheels contained in this kit a lot. It's a set of Torqs that I will use on mine and there's also a set of Vectors that are much better than those in the General Lee snap kit I built some months ago. I will switch them sooner or later. Here's an image of that build, if I may:

IMG_8127.jpg

Thanks, guys!

3 hours ago, matthijsgrit said:

Anyone notice "Challenger" on the second box???

I don't think I've ever seen that release in the wild, hopefully they caught it before it hit stores!

1 hour ago, Tommy124 said:

Actually I like the wheels contained in this kit a lot. It's a set of Torqs that I will use on mine and there's also a set of Vectors that are much better than those in the General Lee snap kit I built some months ago. I will switch them sooner or later. Here's an image of that build, if I may:

IMG_8127.jpg

Nice looking General!  I used the Eckler Corvette wheels on my first General Lee, and Fireball Modelworks' vectors for my later one.  His are the best, hands down.

Yeah, I should have written that better.  I actually like the wheels as far as them being quality castings, and they'll definitely find a home on a future build. The box just seemed to be aiming for more of a "pro touring" look, and the kit parts had more of a classic muscle/rod vibe.

47 minutes ago, Monty said:

Fantastic color.  Would you mind telling us what it is (mfr & P/N)?

Sure thing, it's House of Kolor's Oriental Blue (KBC04) over silver.  This time came out better than my previous attempt, though I'd like to take another whack at it some day.

Superb build. Those wheels look perfect, not too big. That interior really compliments the body color. 

I’ve  never tried any colors over a base color before. Only over various shades of primer. Your paint looks amazing. Was there any imperfections in the plastic that made you just re shoot the color?

Thanks guys!

13 hours ago, Brutalform said:

Was there any imperfections in the plastic that made you just re shoot the color?

No one major problem, but a few smaller ones.  Like there was a swirl line in the roof above the back window, another faint one on the trunk, and where I reshaped the leading edge of the hood was a slightly different color than the rest of it (Round2 copied their old incorrect Daytona hood with the square leading edge).