Model Cars Magazine Forum
Sign in to follow this  
misternemo

Looking for shocks

Does anyone make 1/24 shocks that DO NOT have the springs around them? i am looking for the type that were used in standard american cars from roughly the 1940s through today.what i am really really looking for are 1960s era KONI shocks,but any shocks of that style should work.i will take them in 1/24 or 1/25 scale,plastic,metal,or resin as long as they are this type and are better detailed than what comes in most kits.do any kits have a nice set? want both the front and rear shocks.sure hope someone has made these!! 

66gt350.JPG

These are actually some of the easiest things to scratch-build from either tubing and rod stock, or just rod stock.

In reality, there are thousands of different lengths and diameters of shocks to accommodate different vehicles, so the odds of a set from one model fitting exactly the application you have are minuscule at best.

Last time I adapted a set of shocks from one model to fit another (which involved essentially re-designing the suspension around the shocks), I realized it would have been much easier to just scratch shocks to fit the model.

I have not seen many kits with decent shocks (if any).  Perhaps some of the old Nascar kits have some you could modify.  I'd be game to buy some if you find a good source of Koni style shocks.

If I'm not mistaken guys, Ryan was looking for standard hydraulic shocks "without springs".

I agree with Bill, (Ace-Garageguy).

They are pretty simple to scratch build.

You can find regular shocks without springs in almost every kit, but most of them are not that great.

Steve

There are some available on Shapeways if want to go that route.  Most are coil over.  But as stated, can be scratchbuilt somewhat easily and fit them to your build requirement.

1/25 Rear Shock Absorbers 2up 3d printed

Thank you for the replies.the shocks from shapeways are pretty much what i was looking for,and will work the rear.still looking for the front pair!! scratch building them doesn't look too hard,except for the attachment points.

2 hours ago, misternemo said:

Thank you for the replies.the shocks from shapeways are pretty much what i was looking for,and will work the rear.still looking for the front pair!! scratch building them doesn't look too hard,except for the attachment points.

The "attachment points" would be fairly easily recreated by a short length of plastic tube or rod with a hole drilled in the middle.

Turn it on it's side, drill a hole in the side and insert the top of the shock rod into it.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller