Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ideas for creating this intake manifold (Now Finished)

Still working on this M/T blower manifold. 

Still more details to add in. Just wondering if anyone with experience creating parts to cast could give me some tips.

New territory for me.

Ive been in contact with a resin guy you probably all know. He's willing to cast it for me and so far one

other interested party here on the forum.

What are you needing advice on? It is a good idea to make resin copies with the amount of work your putting into this part. That in my opinion is why we cast parts. My tip from reading your last post is make sure who you get to cast this part is good at what they do. You can find action-modeler on facebook to see my experience.

13 minutes ago, ScottH454 said:

What are you needing advice on? It is a good idea to make resin copies with the amount of work your putting into this part. That in my opinion is why we cast parts. My tip from reading your last post is make sure who you get to cast this part is good at what they do. You can find action-modeler on facebook to see my experience.

Scott...

I do have a reputable caster that is interested in casting this. Probably one that most here know well.

Although that is just for one interested forum member here so far.

I'm trying to make this worthy enough that others might want one.

That is why I've asked the questions I have,( still would like to know) in the hope that perhaps more knowledgeable/critical eyes can help.

You don't have to be afraid of letting me know what you think might need some attention.

Lay it on me.

I am also wondering how it should be finished, Primed or just raw styrene.

? 

From what I could see in your latest picture your on the right track for how it's done. You still needed so smooth out the runners an other seems. Drill holes in the runners to slide rod polystyrene up from the bottom to create bolt tabs. I even drill into these to give the open bolt hole. Just find reference photos an mimic as much as you can. I use liquid Tamiya primer brushed over the seams to fill imperfections, never want to prime the whole thing at that point. Once everything looks ready then a light coat of Tamiya primer gives it a uniform an in this case a textured cast finish. I'll share a photo of my BBC intake master,  the kit intake I started with is light gray so you should be able to see the white styrene that was added. Then a blower intake master I made for with two resin castings. One of the benefits of being a caster is making parts for the sole purpose of having an extra so you don't mess up your original.

AM-BCIM-1-master.jpg

AM-BCBM-1-master.jpg

12 hours ago, STYRENE-SURFER said:

I am also wondering how it should be finished, Primed or just raw styrene.

?

The master should be lightly primed to check for any imperfections, you don't want the flaw to appear in every copy.

16 hours ago, ScottH454 said:

From what I could see in your latest picture your on the right track for how it's done. You still needed so smooth out the runners an other seems. Drill holes in the runners to slide rod polystyrene up from the bottom to create bolt tabs. I even drill into these to give the open bolt hole. Just find reference photos an mimic as much as you can. I use liquid Tamiya primer brushed over the seams to fill imperfections, never want to prime the whole thing at that point. Once everything looks ready then a light coat of Tamiya primer gives it a uniform an in this case a textured cast finish. I'll share a photo of my BBC intake master,  the kit intake I started with is light gray so you should be able to see the white styrene that was added. Then a blower intake master I made for with two resin castings. One of the benefits of being a caster is making parts for the sole purpose of having an extra so you don't mess up your original.

Thanx Scott, Thats exactly they type of input I am looking for.

Norm emailed me that he prefers to cast from raw masters rather than primed. Just as well for me because I'm afraid of

obliterating any detail. The runners need some radius sanded into them as well as some fill in a couple areas. I'm using

milliput for that, mixed in small batch and applied in tiny little pellets (best description I can think of) then smoothed out

with different shaped tools with a bit of water so it doesn't stick to them. The four visible manifold bolts are moulded a bit

weak on the original part. That I will try to fix. I will probably create a spacer to mount the blower on if someone wants to

use the usual distributer location. It's set up to use the Revell K.S. Pittman supercharger though there could better options

out there. The K.S. Pittman one fits with just a bit more room for a larger one.

• 1 month later...

This manifold is just about finished, some final seam filling with thin CA applied very carefully and shaping where necessary.

Made a 2" scale spacer so the distributer can be used in the normal placement.

Have seen a couple of "pop off valve" set ups for this type of manifold so decided to leave that detail out.

I was playing around with the thought of adding the FORD script. That tiny piece of photo etch I was attempting to use

ended up lost for ever on my hobby room floor.

DSC01366.jpg

DSC01367.jpg

On 12/6/2019 at 11:35 AM, afx said:

Turned out great!

13 hours ago, deuces wild said:

Looks like a million bucks!!!... ??

Thanx ...This was sort of a sidestep from an ongoing project of mine. 

Sometimes looking for the correct or nearest part can drive me crazy.  

It is a skill how some here can put parts from several sources together in a convincing way.

I don't have a huge stash of kits to source bits from and have a hard time remembering just

which one has what I'm looking for.

Overall, this has challenged my building skills and techniques. There are things I would do different

if starting over for sure. Learned a lot from this project.

Now... 

This Ford FE front timing chain cover is next. Don't know if I have anything to start out with so as

par, will most likely do it the hard way.

IMG_1300.JPG

That is a prime example of a part that will be a scratch building challenge, but also a nice 3D CAD and subsequent printing challenge.

Not possible for me to do the former. Easy for me to do the latter.  Both are rewarding ways to create a part.

• Dave Ambrose changed the title to Ideas for creating this intake manifold (Now Finished)
  • 2 months later...

First parts have come out of their molds (not by me).

Have been sent a picture of one of the first casts by a member here.

I don't think I can post it here (didn't take the pic and not sure if it's 

ethical to do so at this time). Don't even know if there is any interest.

It was a fun project and now have to start on that timing cover.