Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ideas for creating this intake manifold (Now Finished)

I'm trying to replicate this "ALGON" intake manifold for 427 Ford Wedge.

IMG_1235-vi.jpg

Nothing I have found in my kit parts come even close.

I have built the base, a sort of starting point. 

DSC01306-vi.jpg

Looking at this intake manifold I see some basic shapes that I'm having trouble replicating. Oh and they do need to be replicated eight times.

this drawing is just an idea I'm floating, though the parts, (at least three per. intake) would be extremely small.

DSC01307-vi.jpg

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Yup, building my way into a corner again. ?

26 minutes ago, STYRENE-SURFER said:

...Yup, building my way into a corner again. ?

Cool. That's one of my recurring problems.  :D

The hard part about building manifolds for FE engines is that the manifold forms the top of the rocker boxes on the cylinder heads. I'm currently looking at blower manifolds for Chevy 409 engines, which are also peculiar in their own way.

The only suggestion I have is to start with an FE manifold that fits the engine you have, file away everything that doesn't look right, and add carefully thought-out bits that DO look right.

Your drawing looks like you're on the right track to that end.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

sorry, I started a post and it wasn't working - thinking out loud, will be back later...

that's a cool manifold! 

just a heads-up for now.  ...from your post and Ace, the base you have started will fit under the valve covers.  check a mockup now with the valve covers see if it all fits and how much material must be added to make the manifold thicker where it attaches to the heads - but that's a good thing because you can add the bases for the injector stacks to that piece as a sub assembly before you add it the manifold base.

just two cents, maybe

Edited by Muncie

Speed City has just released a Hillborn intake for Fords, the 67 annual Comet also had a nice set.I realize these are different manifolds, but it might be a starting point.

I always found it surprising there wasn't more variety in FE models.

Half the work is already done.

NOW, about the Y-Block injection.

14 minutes ago, GaryR said:

Speed City has just released a Hillborn intake for Fords, the 67 annual Comet also had a nice set.I realize these are different manifolds, but it might be a starting point.

I always found it surprising there wasn't more variety in FE models.

Half the work is already done.

NOW, about the Y-Block injection.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Speed City part.

And yeah, the Y-block with those weird stacked intake ports...what were they thinking?  :D

9 minutes ago, STYRENE-SURFER said:

I wonder if I could just glue the half rounds up and use something like "Milliput" to fill the gap.

Never used it this way before, but perhaps with patience could be done.

Sounds like a plan. 

Not to derail the thread, but the Speed City set comes with M/T valve covers as well. He has a new 65 Ford Econoline body kit.

IF you succeed  with the Algon ( and I'm sure you will), please consider sending to a caster.It sure would be nice to have available. Same with Hillborn and Algon's for Pontiacs.

6 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Sounds like a plan. 

I'm going to give it a go.

2 minutes ago, GaryR said:

Not to derail the thread, but the Speed City set comes with M/T valve covers as well. He has a new 65 Ford Econoline body kit.

IF you succeed  with the Algon ( and I'm sure you will), please consider sending to a caster.It sure would be nice to have available. Same with Hillborn and Algon's for Pontiacs.

I'd like to get this as close to correct (the hard part). If so, I'd be willing to send it to "Speed City" He's one of those out there producing these obscure parts.

You can get pretty close with the injection setup from the AMT '53 F-100. I'm using it on a build at the moment. Mine is on a Ford 4 cam mod engine from the Phantom Vickie. You just have to flip them around to get them to angle towards the center. Here's a photo. 

48551426027_05225f9e66_b.jpg

This is what they look like on the engine.

48588213701_643c3472e2_b.jpg  

The port spacing may be different on your engine. But, that could be fixed pretty easily.

Edited by Plowboy

1 hour ago, Muncie said:

sorry, I started a post and it wasn't working - thinking out loud, will be back later...

that's a cool manifold! 

just a heads-up for now.  ...from your post and Ace, the base you have started will fit under the valve covers.  check a mockup now with the valve covers see if it all fits and how much material must be added to make the manifold thicker where it attaches to the heads - but that's a good thing because you can add the bases for the injector stacks to that piece as a sub assembly before you add it the manifold base.

just two cents, maybe

Yah, good point. I do have to build out a sort of triangle shape at the top of the manifold to meet up with the valve covers.

That is tricky, Going to start out with .040x.040 stick, sanded into a triangle. then glued up so it is flush with the valve covers.

Hard to explain, but you know, wish Evergreen made true triangle stock.

OK, this is where I was trying to get to- - just another two cents, maybe...

Just Evergreen tubing and rectangular stock.  Four equally spaced injector stack bases that can be detailed out, triangles added, then cut off the fixture and added to the base as one piece. Tubing can be drilled for the injector stacks.

DSCN2365.JPG

Edited by Muncie

Did a little test to see how two pieces of Evergreen half round with Lilliput sculpted between them would turn out.

This was just done quickly and spritzed with Aluminum Plate from rattle can.  not buffed.

DSC01309-vi.jpg

It's a simpler shape than what is needed for this manifold, just a test to see how it would work.

Looking at the picture I provided at the top of this thread, are there any guesses what diameter those injector stacks are?

They sure look rather small to me, They appear smaller than the exhaust on the car I am building . 

Perhaps 2" ?  Thinking of using the 6" hollow tube injector stacks for Buick Nail Head engines from S.C.R.  cut down in length.

Can't see any specifics on diameter size on his website tho, anybody know?

Edited by STYRENE-SURFER

9 minutes ago, Muncie said:

that is looking good

The SCR injector stacks for the Buick are really tiny - maybe 1-5/8" in scale.  You'll probably need the regular size SCR stacks.  One of those times that it may be best to get both. 

Thanx Steve, there is a lot more details that will need to be added. Laying things out on paper, using the sizes of Styrene I can source.

It looks like .100" Diameter tubes on the manifold ( tho they are split and create a sort of "Y" shape) spaced by .080 apart kinda comes close.

There needs to be room for a Vertex Magneto ahead of that nearest intake, as well as other details.

.100 = 2.5", so the stacks would need to be a smidgen smaller. That is if I'm thinking correctly. 

From the guy who puts styrene in the micro. LOL?

10 hours ago, STYRENE-SURFER said:

There are these raised ribs on the manifold. Don't think I can replicate this in styrene. too small.

Maybe Brass strip, wire, or some other available stock?

Evergreen has .010"X.020" (maybe smaller, but that's the smallest I have in stock).

That would represent about 1/4" x 1/2" in 1/25 scale. Not exactly correct, but will give a very good impression of cast ribs.

It's not really too hard to work with if you mount your manifold solidly, so it's not moving around as you work the ribs. And you'll be better off with something that will dispense solvent glue very accurately, like the Flex-I-File "touch n flow" or diabetic needles.

On 8/24/2019 at 5:32 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Evergreen has .010"X.020" (maybe smaller, but that's the smallest I have in stock).

That would represent about 1/4" x 1/2" in 1/25 scale. Not exactly correct, but will give a very good impression of cast ribs.

It's not really too hard to work with if you mount your manifold solidly, so it's not moving around as you work the ribs. And you'll be better off with something that will dispense solvent glue very accurately, like the Flex-I-File "touch n flow" or diabetic needles.

Ace, I have some of that stock on hand. Unfortunately it is cut kind of rough and covered with burrs.

It's also hard to glue it up in a straight line pattern. 

I did attempt this manifold but I have to admit, it has got the best of me.

Just some small (too small) pieces that refused to align with my wishes.

Nothing photo worthy.

Going to have a personal "think tank" on my Mustang (match racing)drag car project.

(this long and meandering thread.)

There are other issues to deal with, like Decals for it being sized incorrectly as well as hard to find front/rear wheels. 

Those are enough to most likely change the outcome.

I have some ideas for a plausible period correct drag car, as well as a manifold change w/long injectors

that I think would make the whole thing present better.

So it goes, (Plan "C")???

Edited by STYRENE-SURFER

• 1 month later...

I switched gears on this manifold project.

Now working on an vintage supercharger manifold for 1/24th scale engine I'm using. (Cobra 427 kit).

Started out with the stock part, removed some stuff and have added 22 or so new pieces. more work needed

Just added that piece where the distributer goes, will have to shape it after the glue is good and dry.

nearly done. Plan on using the Revell " K.S.Pittman " blower to top it all off.?

DSC01354.jpg

DSC01348.jpg

Pictures are kinda fuzzy, sorry. and as you can see there is some fine tuning needed.

Edited by STYRENE-SURFER
recounted pieces added lol.

On 10/14/2019 at 6:12 PM, Deuces said:

WoW, nice work!!!!...... ??

Thanx Guido.

A member on this board asked me if I would be interested in the possibility of sharing this part via casting.

This would kind of change things because if so I would want to give whom ever want's one a couple of options

that are not so specific to the particular model I'm currently building.

What I can envision is a blower spacer that would allow for the use of a typical distributer and location rather

than a front mounted alternative, (Ive seen this set up on more modern examples, mostly street rods and the like.)

Also an option to use the top oil fill tube location.

I have to be perfectly honest here that I have very little knowledge about vintage drag racing first hand.

I build what I see is the best definition I can think of. 

Please do not be afraid of making critical comments if you see something that needs attention.

Starting out with the original manifold from the 1/24 scale 427 Cobra kit (is this scale a setback?) did

create some small limitations from a perfect recreation tho I think they are minimal .

Let me know what you think. I'm no expert at this stuff but its fun.

some pictures of what inspired me.

IMG_1261-vi.jpg

image.jpeg

IMG_1279.JPG

IMG_1273.JPG

• Dave Ambrose changed the title to Ideas for creating this intake manifold (Now Finished)