Model Cars Magazine Forum

I just got back to model building after a 3-month hiatus due to illness.  But I have noticed that sitting at the bench for more than an hour gives me pain in my back I had not noticed before, limiting the time I can work without a break.

Does anyone have any techniques/tips for this problem?

Aside from the sit / stand desk (which I've had at work and can endorse!) what type of chair are you using?   

If you are using an old kitchen chair,  a folding chair or even an office chair you bought for $100 at Staples, that could be your issue.

As an office ergonomist  I recommend a name brand professional office chair.  Yes, those sell for $600-1200 new, but can be bought for cheap at garage sales and used furniture / used office furniture stores.  Brands like  Steelcase, Herman Miller,  Haworth.  I'd rather spend $200 on a used one of these than $100 on a brand new Staples chair!   And you want a chair with arms on it.

Image result for office ergonomic posture

Also make sure that you are sitting in a proper position.  Chair facing the bench straight and adjusted for comfort. Feet on the floor in front of you under the bench. Bench at proper desk height.  All of this is part of the equation! 

Edited by Tom Geiger

How long you can sit at the bench comfortably has a good deal to do with your general level of fitness...at least in my experience.

Over the past few years, I've had a few injuries and health issues that have left me pretty well incapacitated for months at a time on occasion. I gained a lot of weight. I lost muscle mass and stamina. My sleep suffered, and working on anything was a painful ordeal. My back and legs would cramp. Life sucked.

Getting back in reasonable shape isn't easy, it's harder the older you get, it usually hurts to do it (which is why most people quit), and boy oh boy, there is NOTHING that makes you feel better about life than finally feeling GOOD physically and being able to DO things again.

There are lots of older folks who seem to be content to live exertion-free lives, eat way too much, and to expand into passable Jabba the Hutt lookalikes.

Maybe if you have a real permanent debilitating injury or condition so you just can't exercise at all, that's an option...but it's still not a wise one.

If you can, I highly recommend at least 20 minutes every other day of moderate exercise, bare minimum.

I don't mean shuffling around at the mall. I mean brisk walking, as fast as you can go.

Work up to 20 minutes every day, then 30, then an hour. Find inclines to walk up.

If you've allowed yourself to get pretty far out of shape, I guarantee that after a few months of the above, you'll feel 20 years younger.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I must agree with Ace.  Over the years I have packed on a few more pounds than I am comfortable carrying around.  I finally made the decision to do something about it so I joined the local YMCA and began an exercise program.  I had not been at it long enough to notice any great weight loss, but I did notice better flexibility, stamina, and a general feel-good about myself.  A couple months ago I had to have vertebra-fusion surgery on my neck, which has brought my training to a screeching halt.  I now feel tight all over and uncomfortable in most of what I am doing.  Yesterday I did go back to the Y and began a walking regimen with the intent of eventually returning to my other program.  A few words to the wise - just because you get older does not mean you have to stop caring for yourself.

I totally agree with the exercise routine, I have had multiple health issues and exercising has kept them very managable, I work usually 6 days a week and try and exercise 7 days a week, no matter how tired I am I try and do something,  a stationary bike, light weights or a heavy bag workout. It makes a world of a difference!!!!! The only thing I would also highly recommend is stretching multiple times a day, stretch your back and hamstrings. It really helps!!

3 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

I've found a good chair is paramount. 

And i will stand from time to time as well.

Also. Ive found. Get up once in a while and walk around or stretch .

It helps wonders

Bill is oh so right on this!!  I have a table that works, and I

also have a bench that I can stand or sit at in my hobby

room. I can hardly explain how much that helps me!!

David S.

• 3 months later...

One thing no one has mentioned is ice. My back doc confirmed 2 herniated discs a couple of years ago but I think it's 3 now. Get yourself a copper fit belt that holds an ice pack if it's your lower back. It helps me a lot.

Edited by Miatatom
spelling

Working at a desk or bench, especially on detail stuff, such as computer research or tiny 1/25 scale (or smaller) model parts, one might have a tendency to stay in a set position longer than realized. I worked at a computer desk at a local nuclear plant between 8 and 14 hours a day for several years researching work orders. My "exercise" during the work day was delivering finished work orders across the complex about three times a day. If I didn't do that, I would fall asleep at my desk. (Wonder why I made that statement?) 

Nowadays, at the hobby desk, I put different parts of my projects in different areas so I will be compelled to get up from the comfy leather office chair I got at Goodwill! 

No naps, and no back pain, doing it that way!! LoL

best thing i did was get a decent chair (and a cut down matteress topper for the back) and matching computer desk to build at, and the tray for the keyboard is the perfect size for my brush paints. My back has hurt a lot less than when i used an old stool that had me sat with the desk at chest level

I have two fractured vertebrae L4-L5 that I have had for over 50 years. That has caused pinched nerves resulting in leg and knee pain. For temporary relief I use a topical cream called Blue Emu. No nasty smell or heat and it works quickly and helps me a lot. Be sure to have testing done to determine exactly what your problem is.

Edited by misterNNL
Kindle thinks it knows what I need to say

5 minutes ago, misterNNL said:

Be sure to have testing done to determine exactly what your problem is.

Great point, if you're a smoker back pain can be a sign of lung disease. there is a simple test you can do for lung disease yourself though. If you look at your finger nails from the side, and they are all very rounded you should see a doc as its a sign of lung disease. I only know cos I'm being tested soon and it was the first thing the doc looked at which seemed odd for chest pains

Edited by stitchdup

A friend's doctor told him to get a front-pocket wallet and to stop sitting on his wallet, with the reasoning being that sitting crooked because of a wallet under one side of his butt was doing his back no favors. I've had my share of back problems over the past 15 years or so, and I ended up following this advice too. Don't know how much credit the front-pocket wallet gets for my recent lack of back trouble, but I figure it can't hurt!

1 hour ago, Don Sikora II said:

A friend's doctor told him to get a front-pocket wallet and to stop sitting on his wallet, with the reasoning being that sitting crooked because of a wallet under one side of his butt was doing his back no favors. I've had my share of back problems over the past 15 years or so, and I ended up following this advice too. Don't know how much credit the front-pocket wallet gets for my recent lack of back trouble, but I figure it can't hurt!

OMG was just thinking of this yesterday when I went to Phoenix.  Many years ago I overheard a conversation, old man lawyer said not not sit on your wallet.  Really helps!