Model Cars Magazine Forum

‘67 Plymouth GTX

Furiousgeorge

I’ve got a good start on this one, painted Tamiya rattle can Metallic Orange with black interior. The original plan was to do a 440/auto, but I messed up and forgot to remove the Hemi badges, so it’s a Hemi now. I’ve got the foiling and half the badges done, the engine minus the wiring, and most of the interior. I’ll have to get more pictures after dinner, but I’ve got a few to share now.

82DF1F77-7474-430B-BB99-16E791489304.jpeg

A8CAFEFC-98A2-46B5-B40D-B8EEC525358D.jpeg

ABE4DE24-C2D0-4780-9349-B1315016A2E2.jpeg

Ok, had a few minutes to get more pictures. I added power steering using the fan belt and pump from the Revell ‘69 Charger. I had to cut off the bracket and put it on the back of the pump to get it to look like it’s bolted to the engine. I can’t stand the floating alternator and steering pump anymore. The interior is pretty basic, as is the chassis. I detail painted the firewall. Other then basic engine wiring and plumbing, this will be a box stock build. When I get to the 440/auto GTX I’ll go farther detail wise. Man I need to sort out the lighting situation at my desk!

7CA6B7A3-97E6-4A2E-8F96-F876BEC3E5B1.jpeg

71B90EDA-EB54-4444-A335-E880B1218A16.jpeg

181A60CC-3C11-4603-B8C8-8C0CBA80AEB8.jpeg

CB895D13-3045-48A3-975D-F22B002CD57B.jpeg

6ED5E418-EF5A-4B99-8B75-3CD55740512D.jpeg

196E4AEA-4257-4F66-AD72-5EDCE6F27F31.jpeg

Hi there,

looks good. I am working on a '69 Convertible with the same body color currently.

I have one question regarding your foiling process. In the image below, it looks like you apply the BMF over the Belvedere emblem, AFTER the body color has been applied. I know the process to do so BEFORE the body color, and then to uncover the lettering afterwards. As you seem to have done with the GTX emblem too... 

10 hours ago, Furiousgeorge said:

I’ve got a good start on this one, painted Tamiya rattle can Metallic Orange with black interior. The original plan was to do a 440/auto, but I messed up and forgot to remove the Hemi badges, so it’s a Hemi now. I’ve got the foiling and half the badges done, the engine minus the wiring, and most of the interior. I’ll have to get more pictures after dinner, but I’ve got a few to share now.

ABE4DE24-C2D0-4780-9349-B1315016A2E2.jpeg

Thanks! Though the Hemi is never a bad choice, I wanted the 440 just to be different. 

The emblems were foiled after paint, since the Belvedere part is fairly large and an easy rectangle. The GTX and the 426 Hemi script was hand painted with Model Master Chrome, since there’s no way I could foil tiny letters. I’ve never tried foiling before paint. Something for the next project I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Not a lot getting done on this, a lot of my time is being soaked up by another wip (‘09 Challenger) and dealing with being laid off last week (Mosaic Potash, as a company, sucks). I did get the glass in, and the motor wired up (minus the coil), and fuel lines in. I’m not too worried about the fuel lines not being perfect, as the air cleaner will cover a lot of it up.

3743B9FE-4A4C-43C3-9416-D963C5BC2984.jpeg

On 8/22/2019 at 11:04 AM, Furiousgeorge said:

Thanks! Though the Hemi is never a bad choice, I wanted the 440 just to be different. 

The emblems were foiled after paint, since the Belvedere part is fairly large and an easy rectangle. The GTX and the 426 Hemi script was hand painted with Model Master Chrome, since there’s no way I could foil tiny letters. I’ve never tried foiling before paint. Something for the next project I guess.

Yea, there is just something about those 440s. I’ve recently built a few Mopars, a GTX, and a couple of A12s. Very cool engines. 

All the MOPARS I've owned had a gold color on the little Pentastar emblem.

And, even though some 1:1 cars have one on both front fenders, they didn't leave the factory that way. Only on the right front fender, but....you guys knew that!! LOL

Edited by Bucky

Shambles- Thanks! Yes, all the trim is BMF. I’ve never really had trouble with it like other seem to. It can be tricky, but nothing else looks as good!

Brutalform- I’ve always preferred the 440 over the Hemi. Hemi’s rules the tracks, but 440’s ruled the streets both in numbers and drivability (and who doesn’t love a six pac?!). 

I’ve always wondered why the Pentastars were only on the passenger side? 

Got a bit more time for this over the last couple days. I didn’t like how the plug wore boots looked, so I redid them, and got a quick mock up. The front end sits a bit high, but the suspension isn’t glued in yet, the car is just sort of perched on it. I added power brakes from the Revell ‘69 Charger, heavy cars with Hemi power need power brakes! So far things are going well! 

F29D936E-F2B2-407F-8D2F-4E558E465CA0.jpeg

C5CBF4BB-116E-42B6-8B6B-4CEB0B957936.jpeg

B1887ADF-9A7E-4AD2-8466-2D17ACFB8608.jpeg

FBD60789-2780-4CB2-BCAD-AEB0095194D3.jpeg

Looking at the ride height I agree it looks a little high in front. Not that much from stock. The rear looks a little low from stock height. If you're going for the OEM stock ride height you might consider raising the rear just a little and the front might not look that high then. Just depends on the look you're going for. The engine detailing is outstanding and the paint looks great also.