Model Cars Magazine Forum

Channelled 29 Model A Ford Five window coupe

alan barton

I haven't got as many models finished as I would have liked to this year but here is one of them.  Essentially it is a Jimmy Flintstone Model A five window on the Model A frame from the Revell Hiboy kit with an AMT 57 Chevy 409 W motor up front.  I wanted to see how much of the leftovers I could use from the Revell kit.  It ended up being  as follows

Frame

Channelled floor

Channelled radiator

2 sets of channelled front radius rods

Headlights

Steering column and wheel

Dashboard.

Channelled interior panels

I could have used the spare seat but changed my mind and used a pair of AMT 25 T bucket seats instead. 

Front axle is from thepartsbox.com and rear end from my parts box - no idea what it was!

It does show what fantastic value the Revell kits are as I only needed a body, engine and a handful of parts to get this rod on the street. The wheels and tyres also came from the kit as I used Kelsey Hayes wires on my Bud Bryan hiboy that provided these leftovers.

The Revell Model A chassis has been "Z" d just behind the radiator to try and close up the gap that always exists under fenderless Model A chassied cars.

I did have considerable challenges with the resin body.  The thickness of the side panels required a lot of thinning to get things to fit and it's still not great.  The rear quarter windows and raingutter were all wrong, but having a real five window project car in the garage made it easy to fix that. Despite extensive cleaning and sanding and priming I still got a big fisheye on the cowl but I am going to live with it for now.

There is very little interior detail because frankly it's dark in there! 

The AMT 409 is one of my favourite kit motors and only required the axle hole being filled.  I just mashed a big chunk of sprue and some superglue in the hole and it took very little sanding to remove all evidence of its existence.

I don't want anyone to think this is an accurate representation of a fifties hot rod.  To me , it is more like a contemporary 21st century interpretation of a fifties hot rod.  I'm good with that! I hope you like ti too!!

Cheers

Alan

20190605_211933.jpg

IMG_1685.JPG

20190630_111701.jpg

20190630_111736.jpg

20190702_160720.jpg

IMG_1658.JPG

Edited by alan barton

Thanks everyone, it's always nice when your peers enjoy your creations, especially when I see some pretty hard core hot rod guys in the comments above.  Ace, that bluey turquoise colour was from  a hardware store chain that only lasted briefly over here but I think it was an American brand.  Fortunately it was cheap - the problem with the large hardware store cans is you can end up with a whole shelf of cars of the same colour if you are not careful. It dried very glossy but took forever to gas out.!

Cheers

Alan

Edited by alan barton

Thanks Dennis. The JF body is such a mixed bag - the shape isn't bad and the faults were easily fixed but the uneven thickness made getting the interior and inter splash aprons no fun at all!  I'm glad everyone likes the 409 - I think it really defines the car!

Cheers

Alan