Model Cars Magazine Forum

Modeler Tom Piagari has passed away

336a6818-7175-4ce6-bb68-912aa233b0ba.jpg.7598445d0a6825b1b09c6d75e11e02c1.jpg

Thomas James Piagari 1965 - 2019

I'm sorry to report on the passing of one of my closest friends, master modeler Tom Piagari. I received this email from the president of the Lake Michigan Model Car Club today:

"To All,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but as Newsletter Editor of the Lake Michigan Model Car Club, sometimes that is my responsibility.

It is with shock and sadness we must report the passing of Tom Piagari.

Tom didn't just build plastic kits; he was a professional Modelmaker/Rapid Prototyping for Paradigm Development Group.  One of our finest modelers, Tom joined the LMMCC in 1987 and had been our Contest Director since 2003.  All of you in the AMG Milwaukee are sure to remember Tom as one of your NNL award winners. His work appeared in almost every national hobby magazine.  To say that he will be missed is a gross understatement.  We will have a biography and more information in a future issue of our newsletter, but for now, here are the current details:

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/thomas-piagari-obituary?pid=193710895

Thomas Piagari age 54 of Prospect Heights, IL passed away August 20, 2019.
Loving husband of Leslie.

Memorial gathering Sunday, August 25, 2019 beginning at 3:00PM to 7:00PM
G.L. Hills Funeral Home, 745 Graceland Avenue, Des Plaines, Illinois, 60016.
For details please call (847) 699-9003
glhillsfuneralhome@sbcglobal.net

Take care and God bless all of you,

James E. Zientara
Dory Zientara"

I last saw Tom Saturday evening when we went together to the LMMCC meeting; he brought along his newly-completed '72 Rally Nova. It was a little jewel like all his builds were. He was a great help and inspiration to me as a modeler; we had many good times together in the six years I knew him. I loved him and will miss him very much.

P.S. He was on the forum under the name feretzrus; he wasn't big into forums like me but you can see some of his fine builds posted under that name.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/profile/18167-feretzrus/ 

Edited by ChrisBcritter

Guys - I spoke to Tom's wife this morning and got the full story. It is with a heavy heart I must tell you Tom took his own life. 

Please, if you ever have any feelings or intentions toward that yourselves, call the Suicide Prevention Lifeline at (800) 273-8255.

This is the second friend I've lost this way in the last year and a half. Please don't give up - help is there if you reach out for it.

Just got back from the funeral home. There was a nice memorial gathering with a very moving service; Tom had been cremated earlier but they brought a container with the ashes for the altar. There were a lot of family photos and displays of a couple dozen of Tom's amazing models, plus his brothers performed Bruce Springsteen's "Terry's Song (They Broke the Mold)", and I pretty much lost it at that point. Many members of the LMMCC were there to offer their condolences.

R.I.P. my friend.

719384064_tom0333.JPG.4f2db820a81defced7ef26cdf32f09b5.JPG