Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 muscle car promo-so bad it's good?

LOL!! :D

That WAS cheesy but good! Now you know your age is catching up with you when you can remember as a kid seeing these new on the streets, but having no idea what they were. What was in that Fairlane?? I can't believe that if it was running a 427 would it fall THAT far behind! ?

That was pretty corny, but really cool.

ps, I noticed no Mopar cars there. Hmmmmmmm.?

Although the only Mopar muscle car avail in 1966 would have been a Hemi car. and I have my doubts the 396 Chevelle would have come out on top then

And yes, she would do just fine

Edited by gtx6970

Besides the bad acting not to mention the writer of this script, it was based on the Chevelle SS 396 being the fasts of the three. In reality there are just to many factors to consider. The forst would be the basic engine. The Ford 390 in the base horse power rating, about 335 hp,  would be hard pressed to match the Chevelle with the 360 hp instead of the base 325 hp and the same with the GTO. Another factor would be the transmission used. At that time the 4 speed manual normally would have an advantage over an automatic. In fact whether it was a close ratio or wide ratio 4 speed would even make a difference. The last thing the move doesn't tell you is the axle ratio in the different cars plus did they or did they not have a locking differential ?  This is a case of the Apple and an Orange comparison. They both grow on a tree so they must be the same right ? With the proper equipment any one of these three could easily dust the other two if the others are equipped with the base drive line.      

4 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

That poor '57 DeSoto convertible... it would be considered a "viable project" today.

That's the same thing I was thinking too Chris when I first saw that! ?

Back then though, that '57 was considered "just another clunker car" and no one would have thought twice about taking care of it let alone restoring it. Today, those are SUPER RARE and are virtually rolling real estate in pristine shape! I have to wonder if any of those cars that were in that film survive today. It would be interesting if one was able to trace where they ended up and if they're still around.

It's also quite possible that the Chebbie had some engine "enhancements" done prior to the making of this video.

I didn't see the disclaimer stating that "No muscle cars were harmed during the production of this film!"

3 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

I have to wonder if any of those cars that were in that film survive today. It would be interesting if one was able to trace where they ended up and if they're still around.