Model Cars Magazine Forum

Thinking about going solar to charge that electric car? Be wary.

Ace-Garageguy

Thanks Bill. California recently imposed mandatory solar panels on all new homes. I know someone who was buying a new home and was faced with that "rent or buy" scam. The homebuilder ( I don't  know who ) gave them the garbage about having to pay for maintenance/repair if they chose to buy. I'm also expecting Cali to do something like forcing older homes to have solar before they can be sold. 

31 minutes ago, Draggon said:

Thanks Bill. California recently imposed mandatory solar panels on all new homes. I know someone who was buying a new home and was faced with that "rent or buy" scam. The homebuilder ( I don't  know who ) gave them the garbage about having to pay for maintenance/repair if they chose to buy. I'm also expecting Cali to do something like forcing older homes to have solar before they can be sold. 

Hmmm.

Is it any wonder that people are moving out of California in droves?

Steve

11 minutes ago, mike 51 said:

LOL....it's still mighty crowded here and home prices continue to rise....

Yeah. The population is still growing,  just not at the historic rate.

I am smart enough to do the math that Kevin suggests, and solar isn't for me because of several things. The last bill was $140, and that was with constant AC usage. The house faces south and would be perfect if it wasn't for the 40 year old tree shading the front ?

Solar City did a lot of installations around here on lease before Crazy Elon bought it from his crooked cousins.

Edited by Rodent

• 2 weeks later...

Crony Capitalism is rampant in the "Golden" state . As a life-long resident of this ridiculous state , I'd leave so fast and so hard if I had the financial means !

I'm in favour of alternative energy ---- I just don't want to be FORCED into acquiescing to that , esp. since it's in its infancy .

Where to start.....

I have lived in California all my life. My wife sold solar panels for Sun Run in 2009 when she could not get a job as using her new teaching credential because of the 2008 recession. She went door to door and have nothing but respect for her for doing that. Sun Run is a company that works on the premises that you cannot afford panels, so you pay your bill at a set rate through though Sun Run. They put the panels up for free. It works for some people.

When we were ready for solar panels, WE did our research by checking our power bills - pool and liberal use of the AC AND planning for a Chevy bolt electric car.

Guess what.....

We BOUGHT solar panels with a loan and at an annual rate we SAVED money over our annual usage. When we added the electric car and saved even MORE money. Our gasoline bill went from 300.00 a month for a truck to 40 dollars a month for the Bolt as the main driver. And guess what added value to the house? The solar panels.

Here's the moral... Check your expenses and make a decision. Don't let some youtube ding dong (wonder who backs that guy) or a Pay-us-instead-of-buying tell you what''s what. Do your research, and think long term.

Oh- We have been making extra payments on the panels with the savings. When they are paid off we are free and clear we will me looking at hundreds in savings a month. 

Scott

Edited by Scott Colmer

46 minutes ago, Scott Colmer said:

...Don't let some youtube ding dong (wonder who backs that guy) or a Pay-us-instead-of-buying tell you what''s what. Do your research, and think long term...

I posted the video made by the YouTube "ding dong" in an effort to make people aware that there are a lot of scams and disreputable people out there in greenie-land, and to suggest that before buying or committing to some lease-scheme, they do just what you advise...do your research, and think long term.

It should be pretty obvious to anyone with a functioning brain that purchased solar panels would add value to a home.

The video is primarily about the downside of getting involved with some pay-forever BS scam that's difficult or impossible to transfer to a new owner.

I aways figure it this way, I could be getting lied to from either side, each one has a narrative to push and may overstate the good whileunderstating, if not hiding the bad while the other is hyping the bad and trying to scare me away from even looking at anything related to the other side of the coin, even if there are viable options out there.

54 minutes ago, Joe Handley said:

I aways figure it this way, I could be getting lied to from either side, each one has a narrative to push and may overstate the good whileunderstating, if not hiding the bad while the other is hyping the bad and trying to scare me away from even looking at anything related to the other side of the coin, even if there are viable options out there.

Yeah, well...in my experience, that's how most everything and everybody works. Yes, there are occasionally really good folks who won't try to scam you one way or another, or at the very least, come out on top of the deal...and I can count the good ones I've known on one hand.

The more life experience you have, the more you realize that greed and self-interest are universal components of human nature, and it almost always takes somebody who consciously overcomes their natural slimeball tendencies and becomes one of the good guys.

I say "almost always" because I actually know two people who are just naturally fair. They are also the only people I have kept as friends.