Model Cars Magazine Forum

I could get my paints a lot cheaper if I bought them from Gravity in Spain, but they require clear coating, I prefer paints that I can polish out, like the real vehicle would have been painted with, I tried Scale finishes, but that got stripped,as it never actually dried, and the paint actually had dust in it, so now I use nothing but MCW lacquer for all my American vehicles, they really are the best I've used.

2 hours ago, GeeBee said:

I could get my paints a lot cheaper if I bought them from Gravity in Spain, but they require clear coating, I prefer paints that I can polish out, like the real vehicle would have been painted with, I tried Scale finishes, but that got stripped,as it never actually dried, and the paint actually had dust in it, so now I use nothing but MCW lacquer for all my American vehicles, they really are the best I've used.

Scale Finishes "Base Coat Lacquers" are virtually the same thing as MCW's.

The paint that you got from Scale Finishes was very likely their enamel, which I have heard, does have drying issues.

Steve

10 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

MCW Lacquer paints are not basecoats, including their metallic finishes, they polish up superb and no need for a clearcoat

FB_IMG_1566899665885.jpg

3 hours ago, GeeBee said:

MCW Lacquer paints are not basecoats, including their metallic finishes, they polish up superb and no need for a clearcoat

Then my guess is that something has changed.

None of my MCW paint jars say anything about "Gloss Lacquer" on the bottle, and there is no way you were ever going to polish any of the metallic colors that I have.

Granted, I haven't bought any MCW paint for probably a couple of years, but I know that I have tried polishing an MCW metallic paint job on at least one occasion, and it didn't work.

Steve

6 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Then my guess is that something has changed.

None of my MCW paint jars say anything about "Gloss Lacquer" on the bottle, and there is no way you were ever going to polish any of the metallic colors that I have.

Granted, I haven't bought any MCW paint for probably a couple of years, but I know that I have tried polishing an MCW metallic paint job on at least one occasion, and it didn't work.

I've never used MCW Lacquer until Mike took it over, as the old company wouldn't ship them overseas, I did actually ask him last week if the metallics needed a clearcoat or could they be polished, he told they polish out just like they would when they painted the real thing at the factory,as his paints are actually PPG Acrylic lacquer, this Chevelle i painted came out glossy straight out of the airbrush, and should look great with a little polish.

FB_IMG_1566937777378.jpg

FB_IMG_1566937803085.jpg

Edited by GeeBee

3 hours ago, GeeBee said:

I've never used MCW Lacquer until Mike took it over, as the old company wouldn't ship them overseas, I did actually ask him last week if the metallics needed a clearcoat or could they be polished, he told they polish out just like they would when they painted the real thing at the factory,as his paints are actually PPG Acrylic lacquer, this Chevelle i painted came out glossy straight out of the airbrush, and should look great with a little polish.

Okay.

I'll take your word for it.

All that I can say is that on at least one occasion I tried to do some sanding and polishing on some MCW paint that I bought several years ago and the metallic "smeared" as it will with most 2 part paints.

On at least one other occasion I tried to sand some boogers out of an MCW paint job and when I shot some clear over the top, the sanded areas completely changed colors from the rest of the paint and stuck out like a sore thumb.

All of this means little to me of course, because I always clear coat regardless, so both MCW and Scale Finishes paints work the same for me.

But all of that said, I can't say that I have any knowledge of the formulation of either product.

All that I can offer is my personal experience.

I do have to add though that so far I have found the Scale Finishes paints to be closer to the actual color chips than MCW.

Not to say that MCW is not good paint, ( I used it for many years)

I just noticed that my first order of Scale Finishes paints all looked like exact matches to the chip sheets and photos of the actual vehicles, while occasionally the MCW colors could be a shade off on one side or the other.

Just another personal observation.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/26/2019 at 7:00 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

The paint that you got from Scale Finishes was very likely their enamel, which I have heard, does have drying issues.

Steve

Jameston from Scale Finishes said all his paints are enamel based.  I had asked him about his base his base coats.

Edited by crowe-t

49 minutes ago, crowe-t said:

Jameston from Scale Finishes said all his paints are enamel based.  I had asked him about his base his base coats.

All that I know is that in his website "FAQ" section, he states that his paints are "professional grade solvent based automotive paints".

I assumed that meant that they were acrylic lacquers.

I'm no chemist, but when I crack open a jar of Scale Finishes "base coat", it smells exactly the same as the MCW lacquers that I have.

I have not used the "gloss enamels" that he offers, but I assume it is different from the "base coat" or he would not offer 2 different types of paint.

His "base coats" also spray, level, dry and cure in exactly the same way as MCW.

For this reason I assumed it was basically the same stuff.

For my purposes, it is.

I only differentiate between the "base coat" and "gloss enamel" because I have heard from reliable sources that the enamel has drying issues.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller