Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Lightening McQueen Snap-Tite Max

Joe Handley

Picked up this kit earlier today.

20190825_175545_zpsxbmpruvw.jpg

It's 1/24 scale and has fairly decent engine and chassis detail for a snapper, Not as good as the Caprice/Impala SS or the 4th Gen Camaro/Trans Am kits from the 90's, but very good when you take into consideration it's based on a Disney/PIXAR movie character vs a real car.

20190825_173239_zpsd5ooaxr3.jpg

This is just an overall pic of what's in the box including 46 parts molded in color, peel and stick as well as waterslide decals, and a good instruction booklet!

Now on to the meat and potatoes!

Starting with the body, hood and rear underpan are separate as are Lightening's pearly whites and side/back glass inserts which are bagged with the pad printed tires and molded in body color wheels, respectively.

20190825_173344_zpspyuf1ss6.jpg

20190825_173410_zpsrhx3dz5q.jpg

20190825_173421_zpsus8bsaze.jpg

20190825_173436_zpsnc3qu5ob.jpg

20190825_173330_zpsldtmor2q.jpg

20190825_173658_zpstzis41bj.jpg

Now on to the chassis, again, not bad for a snap model of a cartoon character, even though it's not as great, as say, any of their NASCAR glue kits.

Forgot to shoot what would be an interior tub, or maybe a brain pan in this case, but the chassis it molded separate from it, as is the rear suspension, decent front suspension, engine, w/plugwires and front mounted distributor, and basic looking intake manifold/throttle body (looks like it might be have TBI) ......may have to research that further.

20190825_173253_zps8tas6gap.jpg

20190825_173302_zpsjietksmz.jpg

20190825_173322_zpscktjv3qa.jpg

20190825_173314_zpsfzhyivu3.jpg

Should be interesting to see of there is any kit bashing with any of the Revell/Monogram NASCAR kits from years past in the future for any of these kits!

Finally, the "Stickers", Revell saw fit to include both peel and stick for the kiddos and waterslide for the kids at heart. only complaint I have is that Lightening's trademarked chromed fender lightening bolts are printed in a dull grey instead on both sheets.

20190825_173351_zpsmuvjjjse.jpg

20190825_173358_zps9llfxpny.jpg

19 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

Thanks for that......wondered if they were still going to do it after bankruptcy.....

I'm glad they did, I wanted one as soon as I heard about it before the whole Great Planes mess fully took hold and knew the place I bought it from had a couple when I went down to buy some R/C car parts (last few Fridays have been......destructive for my friend and I?) and may have to pick up more as I go back for more R/C parts............

Edited by Joe Handley

46 minutes ago, Daddyfink said:

Can it be built stock? The wheel wells are too high. The tail is too low. Revell has failed us again....

Sorry, just couldn't help myself! ?

That is actually a pretty neat kit! 

I’ll never buy this kit because the roof line is 1mm off.

22 hours ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

I was going to pick this up for my son this weekend, but could not find it. Where did you land it?

I bought it here when I stopped by to get some parts for my Traxxas 4-Tec 2.0 that had been damaged over the last few weeks of Friday Night Beatings.

https://www.leisurehours.com/

They only wanted $22.49 for it, if they keep them ion stock, I may look at more whenever I go back to get more parts for my cars.

12 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

Can it be built stock? The wheel wells are too high. The tail is too low. Revell has failed us again....

Sorry, just couldn't help myself! ?

That is actually a pretty neat kit! 

11 hours ago, Rusty92 said:

I’ll never buy this kit because the roof line is 1mm off.

LOL, you two gave me a good laugh with these posts this morning?

10 hours ago, TonyK said:

I like to build oddball kits once in awhile and your review shows me this is a decent kit to have some fun with. Thanks.

4 hours ago, Atmobil said:

Well, I guess I have to buy at least two of this kit:
IMG_20190822_164101.thumb.jpg.be9ae40ba650a5a71f8c9f0c75e3b894.jpg
These two will need to have one each and maybe I should get a third one for my self aswell?

I can't wait to see if the aftermarket is going to come up with alternative parts and decals for this kit, plenty of choices in the 3 movies as well as all the Mater's Tall Tales car toon shorts for build ideas.

Found someplace that might work for reference material too!

https://cars.disney.com/

as well as...........

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0317219/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1216475/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3606752/?ref_=ttmi_tt

https://www.google.com/search?q=cars+movie&safe=active&client=firefox-b-1-d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjb_qzq_aHkAhVObKwKHUhsAZkQ_AUIEigC&biw=1366&bih=654

1 hour ago, Rusty92 said:

Ooh good call, Joe. I remember as a kid that he looked great that way. His paint was awesome. 

I'd be willing to bet some Testors Revvin Red would be about spot on there, maybe their decal maker to make the white backed decals and Corvette Cove on the sides.

Disney has done great things with this franchise but I think we all should stop a moment and remember who created this whole thing in the first place. I think it was Pixstar who created this in the first place. I brilliant group of men and women created the story line and the drawings that became the movie. I remember seeing a TV story about how this all came about and these people are also real "car people" in their own right.    

21 hours ago, espo said:

Disney has done great things with this franchise but I think we all should stop a moment and remember who created this whole thing in the first place. I think it was Pixstar who created this in the first place. I brilliant group of men and women created the story line and the drawings that became the movie. I remember seeing a TV story about how this all came about and these people are also real "car people" in their own right.    

What's not common knowledge is that Dave Deal (Deal's Wheels) did the original concept drawings for the Cars characters . He also had an office at Pixar Studios .

13 hours ago, TooOld said:

What's not common knowledge is that Dave Deal (Deal's Wheels) did the original concept drawings for the Cars characters . He also had an office at Pixar Studios .

These drawings are amazing. The ability to give a machine a believable personality and make you feel as if you're watching a live person on the screen.    

Great idea. I'd picked up a couple of the Russian company ones for great nephews/nieces to build when they came over but they were really too small for them to play with. At 1/24 these are big enough for kids to play with but also the right scale for adults who want a break from serious projects or who have a collection of movie/TV vehicles. I'd buy this kit if I saw one.

I have said it many times, and I will say it again here and now. I think the model companies have been missing an opportunity over the last couple decades to pay for licensing, or at least come up with agreements to produce cars of TV show and movies more often if they want to keep bringing youth into the hobby. Looking back, when the General lee was released around 1980, the hobby was in a lull, but that kit sold over a million copies. Knight Rider, Herbie and others have interested both youth and adults over the years.  In this case,  I am super glad that there have been a couple Lightning McQueen models over the last year or so, this one a larger scale one, but again, where is Mater and the rest of the gang? I know for fact, this household would likely buy one of each. LOL. I know that not all the characters would sell the same, but at least Mater, Cruz Ramirez, Luigi etc

The other issue, is getting them IN FRONT of kids. I want this new Lightning kit, but I have not seen it at my LHS, or Hobby Lobby. While I can certainly buy it online, that is not the impulse buy that the hobby needs to get kids interested in the hobby. You need to have that kit, on a shelf somewhere (Target/Wally World/etc_ about the 3rd shelf up from the bottom) or near the other toy auto isle stuff.

4 hours ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

I have said it many times, and I will say it again here and now. I think the model companies have been missing an opportunity over the last couple decades to pay for licensing, or at least come up with agreements to produce cars of TV show and movies more often if they want to keep bringing youth into the hobby. Looking back, when the General lee was released around 1980, the hobby was in a lull, but that kit sold over a million copies. Knight Rider, Herbie and others have interested both youth and adults over the years.  In this case,  I am super glad that there have been a couple Lightning McQueen models over the last year or so, this one a larger scale one, but again, where is Mater and the rest of the gang? I know for fact, this household would likely buy one of each. LOL. I know that not all the characters would sell the same, but at least Mater, Cruz Ramirez, Luigi etc

The other issue, is getting them IN FRONT of kids. I want this new Lightning kit, but I have not seen it at my LHS, or Hobby Lobby. While I can certainly buy it online, that is not the impulse buy that the hobby needs to get kids interested in the hobby. You need to have that kit, on a shelf somewhere (Target/Wally World/etc_ about the 3rd shelf up from the bottom) or near the other toy auto isle stuff.

I agree. Personally I have had plans to do some Cars builds for years. I have the Moebius Hudson, and an AMT Mercury and I got a VW splitwindow bus (several actually) and I have the MPC Jeep. I'm planning to do Mater from the AMT 55-57 Chevy pickups (because I have several of those kits) and I got Revell Mack Cruisliner with a racecar trailer (Sinalco showtruck and trailer kit number: 07547). I should be able cobble togheter a model T Ford aswell and a 59 Impala should not be hard to get. A Porsche 911 996 is something I don't have but I'm sure there is a kit of it out there. There is a Fiat 500 kit out there (Fujimi?) and Cruz Ramirez is a C7 Corvette, who makes that?
Then your got the Rust Ezes guys, Rusty and Dusty, a 63 Dodge Dart and a Dodge A100. I know one can get the A100 but what about the Dart?
And the King, should not be very hard to do:)