Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Trans Am - New Revell Kit

rastta

Always loved the 70-72 Trans Am - although the 69 is still my favorite.  Was happy to see this kit coming, and expectations were pretty high being a Revell and level 4 but I was disappointed when I got it.  The entire engine bay details are all molded in, same with the suspension and no real wheel or brake details, which I found odd for a Level 4 kit. That being said - there was a lot to like about the kit. Everything fit well with minor modification and I'm happy with the finished product.  Went with the traditional white - used Testors Classic White Lacquer as I had a can laying around.  Interior blue was a hard choice but settled on Testors Model Master blue metallic which turned out to be just about the right shade.  This was my first non black, white, brown or tan interior. 

0822190937.jpg

0822190937a.jpg

0823191716.jpg

0823191716a.jpg

0823191717a.jpg

0823191718a.jpg

0823191720.jpg

0826190722a.jpg0826190722_HDR.thumb.jpg.b3145698de4302ac83a993680e2135c0.jpg

Edited by rastta

Compared to old MPC/AMT kits the engine compartment looks pretty good.  I noticed the wheels where they snap onto the rear axle and front suspension detract from realism of the rest of the chassis that looks nice.  The fact that it came with nice stock wheels and correct exhaust system and side mirrors I'd say the kit isn't perfect but coming from a Mustang guy this looks pretty sharp to me.  Nice job on those side reflectors too. ?

1 hour ago, vamach1 said:

Compared to old MPC/AMT kits the engine compartment looks pretty good.  I noticed the wheels where they snap onto the rear axle and front suspension detract from realism of the rest of the chassis that looks nice.  The fact that it came with nice stock wheels and correct exhaust system and side mirrors I'd say the kit isn't perfect but coming from a Mustang guy this looks pretty sharp to me.  Nice job on those side reflectors too. ?

Yeah - i know I'm being a bit picky.  The decal set was nice - which included the side reflectors, door handles etc.  As for the engine compartment, the molded aspect made painting the items "interesting".  For example, the brake booster, and all the water tanks, battery etc. went from their location to the bottom of the engine compartment.  As for the wheels - they were all chrome, which made painting them a bit tricky.

2 hours ago, KWT said:

Ahhh... the alter ego of mine. 1970 Firebird TA

Looks good!

The kit is an old Monogram kit. Hence the simplicity... but they generally rock. sorry if you already knew.

Actually I didn't know it was from the old Monogram kit.  I was just surprised they gave it a 4 rating.  Yours came out very nice!  I had to do white though - as a buddy of mine in HS had a white 71 455 HO.

2 hours ago, W-31 said:

Very nice job! That differential is all wrong for this car! Looks like a 1957 chevy diff!

Well yeah - that and some other items.  The rear suspension,  springs, differential and exhaust were all one piece.