Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ad Blockers  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Are you using an ad blocker for your browser? Feel free to comment below.

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but I have Modelcars.com whitelisted
  2. 2. Do you find the advertising on this site to be annoying?

• Yes
    • Somewhat
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

No blockers that I bother with. I do know that I've had malicious popups load with google ads or with what ever eBay uses, nothing here. You want annoying add sites look at local tv news stations or some of those click bait websites. 

Question, is this forum independent of the website and/or the magazine? Bet you could have your own magazine with content from posts. Might be something to consider, even if a digital pdf version with paid ads if need be.

2 hours ago, john sharisky said:

Your survey:

If I answer "Yes" to your question #1, I cannot answer question #2 (because I don't see the ads). I get a bounce back if I leave #2 blank.

Maybe I'm screwy?

John

That's a new one on me. Do you have any javascript blockers, like NoScript installed? 

On 8/27/2019 at 12:33 PM, Dave Ambrose said:

... Has anyone else blocked ads for the same reason?

Me, with my obsolete iMac that's still just new enough to get browser updates from Firefox. Whatever the mystery ad(s) was(were) a while back that never loaded, they used to kill this computer, but not a borrowed PC I had access to on weekends. Might try whitelisting MCM, but I adblock everything otherwise (makes my Facebook and ebay visits way more tolerable), and I mute all radio commercials, plus, the "Mute" lettering on my TV remote is worn off from the frequency of me killing the audio for commercials there.

On 8/29/2019 at 4:33 PM, Russell C said:

Me, with my obsolete iMac that's still just new enough to get browser updates from Firefox. Whatever the mystery ad(s) was(were) a while back that never loaded, they used to kill this computer, but not a borrowed PC I had access to on weekends. Might try whitelisting MCM, but I adblock everything otherwise (makes my Facebook and ebay visits way more tolerable), and I mute all radio commercials, plus, the "Mute" lettering on my TV remote is worn off from the frequency of me killing the audio for commercials there.

Do people look at you weird when you mute the commercials? Because they certainly do to me haha!

• 3 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

Some of these ads are getting much more intrusive lately - particularly on mobile.

The last couple of days I keep getting full-screen ads when I load a topic that cover the whole page, like this...

A63ADCA5-ECA6-4817-8A17-44D23595CE48.thumb.png.82da78a28b890aea449b2924b4639ace.png

The last week the ads have gotten worse on my phone (I use my phone 99% of the time). Now I have a drop-down ad banner at the top that is becoming annoying and having the same problem with full page ads coming up when I click on a topic or go to my mailbox. Also getting a string of ads at the bottom of each page. No ad blocker here. Not liking it, but for now it is tolerable. 

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

1 hour ago, Dave Ambrose said:

We adjusted our ad settings a few days ago. It's definitely too much. I'll get that turned down to something less obnoxious as soon as I can. 

I did not know that you could change it, I thougt it had something to do with my internet provider or computer. I have never had a problem with ads on this forum before, but now it covers to much. Thanks inn advance for adjusting the settings☺️

2 minutes ago, Atmobil said:

I did not know that you could change it, I thougt it had something to do with my internet provider or computer. I have never had a problem with ads on this forum before, but now it covers to much. Thanks inn advance for adjusting the settings☺️

I do apologize. Our ad income isn't what it used to be, so we're trying to optimize without being too obnoxious about it.