Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ad Blockers  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Are you using an ad blocker for your browser? Feel free to comment below.

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but I have Modelcars.com whitelisted
  2. 2. Do you find the advertising on this site to be annoying?

• Yes
    • Somewhat
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

We have settings that are supposed to keep the ads clean. I'll go recheck those. 

We are working to bring in someone with experience in these matters to get this all ironed out. 

Update: I've tweaked the settings and blocked the dating sites. Sorry to all you single guys, you'll just have to find that info on your own. If you run across any inappropriate content, please send me a PM with the URL for the ad. To get the URL, right click on the ad, and select copy link address, then paste it into the PM. 

Our core problem here is somewhat amusing. How many of you have told your neighbor or coworker that you're going to a model contest and had them get the completely wrong idea? Google analyzes the site content to figure out what we might find interesting. Google is having that problem. Ah, postmodern technology. 

On 8/26/2019 at 11:23 PM, Dave Ambrose said:

We use advertising income to pay the bills on the servers and for software maintenance. We've been seeing declining ad revenue, and I'm wondering if it's because more of our users have ad blockers on their browsers.

As I learned in my first marketing course in college, "nothing happens until somebody sells something".

These huge ads on my tablet are unacceptable. They are bigger than the forum itself. Two for Tire Rack, one for Target, and the Google one appearing over the forum. Is there a way to set them to banners only?

Edit: Now I have a floating popup from Nordstrom covering content.

Screenshot_2019-10-19-10-28-20.png

Screenshot_2019-10-19-10-27-55.png

Edited by Rodent

Run the poll again, you first poll was with two 468 x 60 banners that people where okay with. Since then you have made them bigger are more of them. I have owned a website for over ten years with at least 6 domains, granted I don't have the traffic but definitely does not cost  more than $150 a year. Other forums find other ways to generate money, try shirts(printful.com) or a calendar with cars from the under glass forum. I included a screenshot that resulted in this post. I have a 1920x1080 resolution monitor that was full of ad. Just find someone other than the guy running the magazine to do calendars.

Screenshot_2019-10-20 Model Cars Magazine Forum.png

So, i have no idea what this thing is they use in this add, but i do know that i do not want to see it while eating and browsing on my phone..
For those that do not understand Swedish it says" chock, they have discovered a cure for overwight/obese" and some other complete BS...
And then they have this pic of something to get you interested....
1685733619_Screenshot_20191020-2204201.thumb.png.a9472aa7d3323673b07d462e66627e88.png
I have never searched about that subject on my phone. ever... so its not based from search history.
This is the site that it is linked to.
316680269_Screenshot_20191020-2204541.thumb.png.d8293a248ca6bf23c1313fef8ef78f37.png

I dont mind ads if it is for normal things, the other adds i got whlie looking for this to show up again was for some site where you can buy/rent heavy machinery
Another for some site that sold aluminuim/steel in bulk to whoever wants to buy and a few car ads, those i dont mind at all and almost think it is natural that they show up here thanks to some builds that are posted here.

But that thing dont really belong here.

I'm getting an ad now for what looks like weed, I think. Weed is not legal in my state and I'm not a user (so it's not search history)

This is a work supplied phone, and this site is fine when in on break but not if there is ads for illegal drugs. 

I'm not 100% positive its weed, but I'm pretty sure, but I'm not going to click it to verify. 

Unfortunately unless this ad issue is resolved, I cant come here on my work phone again and I rarely use my pc.

I might use an ad block proxy on my phone because I like the site, but not enough to risk getting in trouble 

Edited by youpey

Google has revamped their advertising platform. It has been a near-total disaster. Everyone starts using it in a few weeks, whether they want to or not. I'll go look for a setting to hide those ads. 

Update: We already have those blocked. But. . . sometimes advertisers deliberately miscategorize their ads. If you see one again, there should be something selectable in the upper right corner of the ad. Click that and report the ad as inappropriate.