Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Tamiya Kit - Toyota Supra

BVC500

I know this should be about the kit but... what an ugly car. And I don't know what to make of the fact that the world's biggest car manufacturer is getting the engine for their only high performance sports car from BMW. Aren't they an innovative motor company having won the 24 hours of Le Mans in the last two years?

The kit will be great though, as it's from Tamiya... :)

The ugly stick worked overtime on this one......BTW why in the world do they call the Xfinity series Toyota called a Supra??? The race car is twice the size of the street...not even close. The kit will be nice....it's Tamiya....but wish they had spent the investment on something else.

30 minutes ago, Tommy124 said:

I know this should be about the kit but... what an ugly car. And I don't know what to make of the fact that the world's biggest car manufacturer is getting the engine for their only high performance sports car from BMW. Aren't they an innovative motor company having won the 24 hours of Le Mans in the last two years?

The kit will be great though, as it's from Tamiya... :)

A: It's far from their only high performance sports car given that the GT86 and Lexus LC500 are still alive and well. 
B: Why tool up an entirely new straight six and platform when the goal is a profitable mid-volume sports car? Works out well for BMW as well since now a much bigger company has absorbed tooling costs for a new generation of what's been a dwindling returns model; the Z4.

As to the kit, I'm not at all surprised and I'm looking forward to putting it on the shelf especially if it's embraced Tamiya's more cost and design contained philosophy like we saw on the NSX.

1 minute ago, Justin Porter said:

A: It's far from their only high performance sports car given that the GT86 and Lexus LC500 are still alive and well. 
B: Why tool up an entirely new straight six and platform when the goal is a profitable mid-volume sports car? Works out well for BMW as well since now a much bigger company has absorbed tooling costs for a new generation of what's been a dwindling returns model; the Z4.

Referring to A: from my point of view a GT86 is not a high performance sports car but an entry level sports car. And a Lexus is not exactly a Toyota, as we probably agree. As you might get from my hint to the Le Mans win, I am trying to understand the Toyota brand strategy here, which brings me to B: why - because they can - or could, at least. They could have gone for a V6 or something else they actually build themselves. Of course, it's a great deal for BMW, no doubt about that.

Needless to say, these are just my thoughts. But brands and their cars struggle to have some profile of their own nowadays. And I don't like the fact that everything increasingly gets mixed up in those cars that are anything but cheap: Supra's with BMW engines, Aston Martin's with AMG engines... 

lexus are toyotas, they just rebadge them for the euro and usa markets. they dont have lexus in japan. as for companies sharing platforms, its what everyone else does. look at the late 70s compacts mopar sold, then there's scion that were only for the us market. also sports car has never meant fast car, it means a fun weekend car and were originaly mostly small european 2 seaters but mazda resurrected them with the mx5/miata and the worlds a better place for it happening

When I first saw it around the time of the announcement of the BMW-Toyota partnership on the new Supra, I thought the thing looked like a designer drew up a Z4 from memory while on LSD but I gotta say... it's growing on me, and you can't argue it won't turn heads on the road(whether it's out or disgust or amazement). Glad to see Tamiya doing the kit, at the very least it'll be a superb quality kit.

Urk! What an Ugly Car. Even by today's Aero-Blob Design Language, that thing is a pile. Of course the kit will fit nicely because, Tamiya, but I agree. I wish the tooling dollars(Yen) had been invested in something better. (An FJ-40 maybe).

Far as a modern car goes, it's not ugly IMHO.  Safety regulations dictate some things, like a hood that cushions stupid militant pedestrians who walk right in front of you.  I like their concept car, this seems to be tamed down.  As for using BMW for the engine, that will bite owners down the road, I owned 2 MINI Coopers, their parts are gold-plated.  If I already didn't have 180+ models, I would probably get this, but won't.

2 hours ago, stitchdup said:

lexus are toyotas, they just rebadge them for the euro and usa markets. they dont have lexus in japan. as for companies sharing platforms, its what everyone else does. look at the late 70s compacts mopar sold, then there's scion that were only for the us market. also sports car has never meant fast car, it means a fun weekend car and were originaly mostly small european 2 seaters but mazda resurrected them with the mx5/miata and the worlds a better place for it happening

Lexus was "established" as a Japanese brand back in 2005. Since then it's been operating as a global brand of Toyota selling it's own cars and designs, rather than rebadging Aristos, Soarers, and Celsiors.

Edited by niteowl7710

2 hours ago, stitchdup said:

And you had those Suzukis and Toyotas sold as Chevrolets.  BMW got its start in he car business by building Austin 7s, and calling them Dixis, and later they built Iso's Isetta.

Edited by Richard Bartrop

26 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Speaking of Lexus, I'd love to see a kit of the LC500..it's a car that looks better in person than in photos.  Looking forward to the new Supra kit.

I second the LC500. I was hoping for a Mercedes G-wagon given Tamiya is doing it in RC form, but it was a sure bet the Supra would be coming first.

3 hours ago, stitchdup said:

https://lexus.jp/

21 hours ago, stitchdup said:

lexus are toyotas

Not as a brand, which I was referring to. In those countries, where they sell them Lexus cars, those cars are not called Toyota - right?

also sports car has never meant fast car

But high performance sport car has always meant that, which is what I was referring to.

it means a fun weekend car and were originaly mostly small european 2 seaters but mazda resurrected them with the mx5/miata

There may be differences in using the term in different regions, but in our part of the world that would be called a roadster.

20 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Speaking of Lexus, I'd love to see a kit of the LC500..it's a car that looks better in person than in photos.  Looking forward to the new Supra kit.

As a Toyota company employee who has sat in and been around a LC500, I will second this. 

On 8/27/2019 at 7:52 AM, Tommy124 said:

And a Lexus is not exactly a Toyota, as we probably agree.

Without Toyota, there is no Lexus, so once again, Lexus is a brand , and the luxury arm of Toyota, and what you dont understand is many of the Lexus models are based off of Toyota models, current line up

Lexus IS- Toyota Altezza( thru 2013) Its now on the New N Platform as the GS

Lexus ES- is based on the Toyota Avalon XX50

Lexus GS- is built on the  New N Platform , its only shared with the Lexus GS/IS/RC, but the N Platform in which its based off of is used for Toyota models, Mark II family:  Mark II sedan (1991−2004)Mark II Blit wagon (2002–2007   Verossa (2001–2004  Chaser (1991−2001)  Cresta (1991−2001).   Mark X sedan (2004–2019)[1][2][3] Aristo (1991–2005) Crown/Crown Majesta (1991–2018)Crown Comfort/Comfort (1995–2017) Progrès (1998–2007, part of XG platform) Brevis (2001–2007, part of XG platform) Origin (2000–2001) Lexus IS/Toyota Altezza — XE10 (1998–2005), XE20 (2005–2013)
Lexus GS/Toyota Aristo — S140 (1991–1997), S160 (1997–2005), S190 (2005–2012) Lexus LS/Toyota Celsior (1989–2017) Lexus SC — Z40 (2001–2010) Lexus LF-X concept (2003)

Lexus LS- Its on platform  GA-L the Lexus LC shares this platform

Lexus UX- Toyota C-HR

Lexus NX- New MC platform, used for the following Toyota's , Toyota Alphard, Avensis , Auris,Corolla,Harrier,Mark X Zio,Previa,Prius,Rav-4,Verso,Sai, tC,xB, Lexus CT,HS,NX

Lexus RX- Toyota Harrier ( XU60

Lexus GX- Toyota Land Cruiser Prado

Lexus LX- Toyota Land Cruiser

Lexus RC- New N Platform, see above

Lexus LC- New N Platform, see above above

I looked up what colors the Supra is offered in to decided which one I am going to use, and guess what, I know yalls are gonna be shocked , all the colors but one are BMW colors

Absolute Zero White = (A96). Aka BMW Mineral White Metallic
Nocturnal Black = (475). Aka BMW Black Sapphire Metallic
Renaissance Red 2.0 = (A61). Aka BMW Crimson Red
Tungsten Silver = (A83). Aka BMW Glacier Silver Metallic
Turbulence Gray = (C2Y). Aka BMW Bluestone Metallic
Nitro Yellow = (B21). Aka BMW Atacama Yellow
Downshift Blue = (C10). Aka BMW Mediterranean Blue
Phantom Matte Gray = (C3A). Not found in BMW paint code. I believe Tada san did say this was color was unique just to the Supra.

Ive narrowed it down to either Turbulence Gray or Downshift Blue.

Edited by martinfan5