Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Tamiya Kit - Toyota Supra

BVC500

On 8/29/2019 at 3:05 AM, martinfan5 said:

Without Toyota, there is no Lexus, so once again, Lexus is a brand , and the luxury arm of Toyota, and what you dont understand is many of the Lexus models are based off of Toyota models, current line up

Where exactly was it that I denied Lexus is a dision of Toyota? Of course, it is. But what the BLAH has Lexus to do with this discussion? I didn't bring that up in the first place. 

• 2 weeks later...

As to the look of the Supra, all I will say is that beauty and ugly are in the eye of the beholder.  I haven't seen one in person, so I can't say if I like it or not.  I learned to withhold judgment from the Ferrari Enzo.  I remember the first time I saw photos and thought it was ugly.  When I saw one in the flesh, it is really quite attractive, so no judgment on appearance yet. 

As to the car itself, Toyota has a long history of working with other companies on both mechanicals a production.  My 93 MR2 turbo engine was designed by and has Yamaha stamped all over it.  I also owned a Toyota FX16 hot hatch and it came off of a GM line in Fremont, Ca.  The GT-86/Scion FRS is a collaboration with Subaru and is cousin to the BRZ.  In a recent quote from the chief engineer for Toyota, if you you are going to do a collaboration, do it with the best.   This quote is from the introduction of the Supra and was in reference to rumors that they are going to reintroduce the MR2 in a collaboration with Porsche.  With two master's degrees in management, in classes we often discussed the mind set of "we didn't invent it, so it can't be good" and how to overcome that.  Toyota seems to have done so and I am very pleased to see that.  

Is the Supra and the Z4 the same car?  I have read many road tests and the general opinion seems to be no.  Although they share the drive train, the engine, transmission and suspension seem to be tuned differently so each has a distinct feel.  Also the Supra, being a coupe I would expect it to slightly lighter, but it isn't. In similar trim to the BMW it is about 200 lbs. heavier.  However I would still expect it to stiffer than the BMW.  The big difference other than appearance seems to be cost.  You need to cough up $15,000 more for the BMW for the M version to get the same engine.  Frankly as a sports car aficionado aficionado , I would rather have the Toyota because it is a coupe not to mention the money factor.   

As to what Toyota is thinking, it is clear that they are going back to a 70's marketing strategy and have said so. They like the "3 brothers" (Celica, MR2, Supra)  at that time and are looking to return to that.  I have no issues with that.  Loved them then and it will be good to see that approach offering a performance and handling package for every budget. 

On 8/27/2019 at 7:52 AM, Tommy124 said:

And a Lexus is not exactly a Toyota,

On 8/30/2019 at 4:43 AM, Tommy124 said:

Where exactly was it that I denied Lexus is a dision of Toyota? Of course, it is. But what the BLAH has Lexus to do with this discussion? I didn't bring that up in the first place. 

Right there, you said it, "a lexus is not exactly a Toyota"

I only replied with the info I did because you made it seem like you didnt know, I was just trying to help you .

The Z4 B58 I-6  is exactly the same as a Supra.

There is no M version of the Z4 yet.

The M version of the shared B58 engine is the S58, only used in the X3M and X4M for now. It has bore/stroke of 84.0/90.0 vs. 82.0/94.6 in B58. S58 is twin turbo vs. single twin scroll turbo on the B58 in Supra/Z4.  

HP on the S58 is 473hp/442tq in base, 503hp/442tq in Comp version. 

No idea if BMW will sell M motor to Toyota. I'd be surprised if they did. 

Edited by DukeE

2 hours ago, Vince Nemanic said:

There was a segment where a GM guy told Jay Leno that the purpose of wraps like that is to throw off the autofocus of the spy photographers. As you can tell, it works REALLY well, doesn't it? LOL.

If they would just paint gray and send it out, no one would even notice it.

1 hour ago, DukeE said:

That is a CA distributor plate. Bigger wheels and tires it seems. Toyota at the split IIRC so could be from there. Or, BMW testing S58 in Supra body, Z coupe expected. Usually M's have 4 pipes but what better disguise? Lol.

Hmm, I think you are right,  at first I thought the top two letters were MF , which kind of look it, but the T at the bottom is clear,    honestly, the wheels are tires look to be the same size as on the current in production model.  They are testing something for sure and it very well could be BMW doing the testing , interesting for sure.

Edited by martinfan5

I am not going to comment on the plate but keep in mind that there are a lot of people who will do a vinyl wrap of a car because the think it looks cool and various forms of camo are very popular. If you follow any of the exotic car Youtubers - Daily Driven Exotics, Savage, Stradman, etc. and look at their older videos you will see some of the old camo wraps they used on their Lamborghini's. Stradman now has a new Supra that is factory black that he wrapped satin red shortly after purchase.

Robyn

1 hour ago, Robyn said:

I am not going to comment on the plate but keep in mind that there are a lot of people who will do a vinyl wrap of a car because the think it looks cool and various forms of camo are very popular. If you follow any of the exotic car Youtubers - Daily Driven Exotics, Savage, Stradman, etc. and look at their older videos you will see some of the old camo wraps they used on their Lamborghini's. Stradman now has a new Supra that is factory black that he wrapped satin red shortly after purchase.

Robyn

Of course ,  you are 100% correct, wrapping cars is very popular, more so in the exotic world,  but in this case, this is not a privately own Supra that was wrapped in camo used by the manufacture to hide the car,  this is more than likely a test mule or who knows what going by the DST plate.

Edited by martinfan5

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Bennyg said:

Wow! I like the wheel set up, plus looks like the A pillars will be separate. I’m really looking forward to getting one of these kits.

Ben

There is some impressive engineering going on with this kit,  with those A-Pillars being separate, no need to mask of the body for any black trim painting, so that is nice.

Was over at Toyota of Escondido yesturday.  They were rolling one out of the showroom to the service area.  Not sure why, but that is not relevant.  Sounded great and looked outstanding in a dark blue!  Another one of those cars that looks better in person that in photos.  Yea, I would have one!