Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model A Five-Window Coupe

Straightliner59

This is an idea I have been pondering/wanting to build, for some time. At some point, while working on the Surfers' chassis, my vision for it became clearer, so, I took a while, and began to pull it all together. I have been wanting a traditional hot rod, for several years--not a rat rod, but, just a nice, clean old school rod. This features the Monogram body and chassis. I think the front axle is from Monogram's Model A Woody. I did the front wheels over 20 years ago, and have been shuffling around between possible projects. They'll finally find a home, here. The rear tires are castings that someone made from some (I think) AMT Indy car tires. I chucked them in the lathe, and narrowed them, to better suit this project. I'll use the rear axle and rear wheels from Monogram's '37 Ford pickup. Engine will be the four banger with a simple header, and a two-carb downdraft manifold. I'll play with the stance, a bit. I will likely open the roof and install wood cross braces. I was thinking of a TROG racer, but, until I look deeper into the rules, I will hold off, on that. Anyway...so far, it looks like I have planned. Questions, comments and critiques welcome (as always!).

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg

Edited by Straightliner59

I really like your concept here. I also would like to build a TROG type early something. Something that came to mind looking at your project and noticing that you live in Colorado. I saw an article on a long standing Hill Climb that is held somewhere above Denver. Similar to the TROG idea but with a local flair. The point made in the article, I think it was Hot Rod, was that many contestants were coming in from the East Coast as well. Just a thought and maybe your build could fit in with either event. 

I love  that classic Model A Ford profile and find it interesting that we still find it attractive 8 decades after it was introduced. There are literally nearly endless possibilities for building these cars. Have fun with it and please share your progress with us as it develops.

Thank  you, Tom. I will post updates, as they happen. That may or may not be frequent, as I am concentrating on my Surfers' dragster. That said,  I am never far from being sidetracked! Thank you, Curtis. I simply removed and replaced them with wire, one at a time. I am pretty happy with they way they turned out.

7 hours ago, Dennis Lacy said:

Off to a great start. Those laced front wheels are bitchin!

B)

Thanks, Dennis! They were pretty easy to do. I used .008" brass wire from Detail Associates. What's mysterious to me, is that I only did three of the four. I guess I decided that I would never need four stock Model A wheels, for one car! ?

I know, same old, boring angles! I began filling the fender cutouts. I will also add the rolled detail. Got the rear wheels opened up. The tires had to be opened by a fair amount, so, I used the rotary table on the mill to enlarge the openings to accept the  wheels. I plan to split both wishbones. Questions, critiques and comments always welcome! I think it's gonna' be pretty cool.

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

DSC_0010cr.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2019 at 6:04 AM, oldnslow said:

Looks like you have a good start on your version , also need to move the top forward to line up the door lines . I also added a piece of half round to hide the seam and strengthen it .

I did that, then promptly forgot to  be watchful of it, when I cemented it! i think I can fix it with some judicious scribe work, as it's not too far off. Been playing with some brass tubing, to make headers and a new intake manifold. I'm leaning toward a pair of Strombergs, for carburetion. Thanks for the heads-up! it will help me remember to fix that.

11 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Somehow I missed this one. Love what you're doing, love that old Monogram kit. 

Thank you, Bill. I appreciate that! I enjoy your work, quite a lot. It's really a cool kit. I was supposed to keep it simple, but am already making springs, and brass engine assemblies, wondering if I should just scratch build the engine block. I'm friggin' hopeless! I should be working on the Surfers dragster, but...

I'm glad to see you're back working on this. I was relooking at your pictures and I now noticed the jig you're using. Is this to hold the model in place or is it to help with the front wheel alignment ? Maybe some insight as to how and why this was put together, it really looks interesting to me and I'm sure others might also feel the same way.   

10 hours ago, espo said:

I'm glad to see you're back working on this. I was relooking at your pictures and I now noticed the jig you're using. Is this to hold the model in place or is it to help with the front wheel alignment ? Maybe some insight as to how and why this was put together, it really looks interesting to me and I'm sure others might also feel the same way.   

Thanks, David! It's not a jig, really. It's just a hunk of balsa with some t-pins to keep the front axle and wheels in place. I stacked stuff under the rear of the car, to get it close to the desired elevation. I have and do use , balsa and pins to build jigs, once I get a bit closer to finalized ride height, and begin work on the suspension.

I made this simple jig, to build the intake manifold. I've also begun drilling the holes, to build the header. I'm trying to turn an acceptable taper, for the header pipe. I think I will use the carbs from Mongram's '40 Ford pickup. They look proportionally correct, with the manifold. I still need to add flanges to the manifold. Sorry for tthe crappy photos.

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

I used the same jig to build the header. I turned brass rod in the lathe, to make  the tapered pipe. Here are a couple of shots of the intake manifold, and the header. I removed the rear fender arch panels, and will be redoing those. This won't be a TROG build,  as I am using  some finned brake drums, on the rear, along with hydraulic brake "inners". I will be replacing the molded-on shocks with a set from the Revell Model A pickup. The front axle will also come from that kit. Still need to clean up these parts. I cut three different tapers, before I got one I was happy with. Sorry for the poor quality of the photos. I am more interested in the model,just now! ?

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0010cr.jpg

DSC_0012cr.jpg