Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model A Five-Window Coupe

Straightliner59

16 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

I hope I can keep it rolling! It's time to start sorting out the  pedals, and how I am going to mount them...

Wow! Great work on this little Model A. I've worked on lots of A Models over the years, 1:1 to 1/25, and this is coming along nicely. If your using a stock transmission the pedals for the clutch & brake look like this...

The gas pedal has a separate bracket that mounts on the top of the bell housing where those 2 bumps are. you really can't see it once it's all together so I'm not sure if you want to build it or not. 

001.JPG.34794833f1ff5737e38775192beec594.jpg

002.JPG.414af2c37985931a353b709dcf750c90.jpg

004.JPG.c7f62919c5d9c68f9d94ded810d30aa7.jpg

s-l640.jpg

1 hour ago, mchook said:

you really can't see it once it's all together so I'm not sure if you want to build it or not. 

Clearly, you don't know me! ? All kidding aside, thank you for your kind words. I'm not sure if I want to hang the pedals as they are stock, or devise some hot rodder's adaptation. Whichever way I go, I will make sure that it would work, in real life. I'm going to use a little "fruit jar" master cylinder. Your photos of your model's bellhousing/trans is very helpful! Thanks! Nice job with the clutch and brake pedal setup! Thanks for looking in, Jay.

I disassembled the front suspension so that I could make and install the tie rod. That's done! Now, to decide about the radius rods. The ones I made may be a bit too fine, so I may need to redo them with different ends, and 1/32" tube. Here are a couple of photos of the re-installed suspension. Questions, comments and critiques are always welcome!

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

DSC_0011cr.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a few things I have worked on, the last few days. I scratchbuilt some shocks from Evergreen rod. The  arms are made from K&S aluminum tube, flattened, then drilled and cut out. The water pump still needs a little cleanup. It's constructed from some Contrails plastic tubing, and Evergreen flange, and two sizes of brass tubing, on a music wire shaft. I got the radius rods cut and mounted, as well. As always, questions, critiques and comments are always welcome!

DSC_0015cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0009cr.jpg

DSC_0010cr.jpg

DSC_0011cr.jpg

DSC_0017cr.jpg

18 hours ago, David G. said:

Wow!

Your work is truly more "model engineering" than it is "model building"!

Impressive.

David G.

Thanks,  David. I appreciate that, very much! I try to build each sub-assembly as a model, unto itself, but, sometimes, I talk myself out of it! ?

On 1/4/2020 at 9:01 AM, mchook said:

Wow! Great work on this little Model A. I've worked on lots of A Models over the years, 1:1 to 1/25, and this is coming along nicely. If your using a stock transmission the pedals for the clutch & brake look like this...

The gas pedal has a separate bracket that mounts on the top of the bell housing where those 2 bumps are. you really can't see it once it's all together so I'm not sure if you want to build it or not. 

I want to thank you again, for the photos of the trans/clutch/brake/bellhousing assembly. The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning toward going that direction. Your photos will be a handy reference.

Thanks, Mark! I got some more work done on it, today. I cut the roof open, and started working out the metal-clad wood header. I mounted the shocks, but have already decided that I want to re-mount them. I have some figgerin' to do, up front, with the radiator and water pump clearance. Now, looking at these photos, I can see a little work that needs to be done with the water pump. Here are a few photos. As always, questions, comments and critiques are welcome!

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg

On 1/4/2020 at 11:01 AM, mchook said:

001.JPG.34794833f1ff5737e38775192beec594.jpg

002.JPG.414af2c37985931a353b709dcf750c90.jpg

004.JPG.c7f62919c5d9c68f9d94ded810d30aa7.jpg

s-l640.jpg

Photos of the 1:1 original parts like this bracket make for accurate details on projects like this one. Internet access has made that very easy to do these days so I encourage builders to consider doing a little research for accuracy. Thanks for sharing.

9 hours ago, misterNNL said:

Photos of the 1:1 original parts like this bracket make for accurate details on projects like this one. Internet access has made that very easy to do these days so I encourage builders to consider doing a little research for accuracy. Thanks for sharing.

It's so true, Tom. We all remember the days when research was much more scarce, and difficult to do. Now, if the desire is there to do it properly,  so is the information!

11 hours ago, James2 said:

The Devil is in the Details....

It's also the most fun part, for me! Thanks for looking, everyone!

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some wood pieces I've been working on, for the roof. I want it to be as prototypical, as I can make it. I've changed course, a couple of times, to try different sources for the wood, because I am determined to use something I have on hand. So far, I have used three different sizes of craft/stir sticks, and I still had to laminate pieces to make the front header.The cross-pieces need to be shaped, as they are fairly thin, in the real car. I've also included something I have been playing around with, regarding the radiator surround. Not sure I'll be able to get it to my liking, but, if I can, I think it'll be worth the effort. Also, the new head and water pump are visible. The old head is too thick, and interferes with the firewall. I wanted to make the water pump better, too. Mission accomplished, on both counts! Now, I have plenty of room for the pulleys and fan. As always, questions, critiques and comments are welcome! Thanks for looking in!

DSC_0008cr.jpg

DSC_0010cr.jpg

DSC_0013cr.jpg

DSC_0015cr.jpg

DSC_0017cr.jpg

DSC_0019cr.jpg

DSC_0021cr.jpg

DSC_0024cr.jpg

Edited by Straightliner59

3 hours ago, Spex84 said:

Beautiful work so far. Wow....I can't get enough of the little stanchion rod-ends. The water pump detailing is delightful. Good stuff right here!

Thank you, Chris. Much appreciated! I started using those handrail stanchions, years before there were any heim/ball joints specifically made for model cars. I bought a ton of them, back then (mid-'80s), and never ran out! ? They look pretty good, so I never saw a reason to buy anything else. Thanks for checking in!

21 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Here are some wood pieces I've been working on, for the roof. I want it to be as prototypical, as I can make it. I've changed course, a couple of times, to try different sources for the wood, because I am determined to use something I have on hand. So far, I have used three different sizes of craft/stir sticks, and I still had to laminate pieces to make the front header.The cross-pieces need to be shaped, as they are fairly thin, in the real car. I've also included something I have been playing around with, regarding the radiator surround. Not sure I'll be able to get it to my liking, but, if I can, I think it'll be worth the effort. Also, the new head and water pump are visible. The old head is too thick, and interferes with the firewall. I wanted to make the water pump better, too. Mission accomplished, on both counts! Now, I have plenty of room for the pulleys and fan. As always, questions, critiques and comments are welcome! Thanks for looking in!

DSC_0008cr.jpg

DSC_0010cr.jpg

DSC_0013cr.jpg

DSC_0015cr.jpg

DSC_0017cr.jpg

DSC_0019cr.jpg

DSC_0021cr.jpg

DSC_0024cr.jpg

Personally I prefer to use bass wood for those wooden parts. It's readily available at Hobby Lobby where they carry a large supply of all sizes. It sands to a smooth finished surface and works great for weathered wood parts. This is looking great. BTW is that grille shell made from aluminum foil ? Very clever!

Edited by misterNNL
additional details added

11 hours ago, misterNNL said:

Personally I prefer to use bass wood for those wooden parts. It's readily available at Hobby Lobby where they carry a large supply of all sizes. It sands to a smooth finished surface and works great for weathered wood parts. This is looking great. BTW is that grille shell made from aluminum foil ? Very clever!

Thanks, Tom. I appreciate your kind words! I would have used basswood, but I didn't have any on hand, when I started playing with the roof framing. I had a lot of different sizes of craft sticks, so, I went ahead and used them. There were a couple of times I was thinking, "Hey, moron! Why don't you just make your life easier, and go get some basswood?!" ? The grille shell is indeed aluminum foil. I used tooling aluminum that I bought at Hobby Lobby, years ago. I simply embossed it over the kit piece. I decided to try that, because I discovered that I could use a little more room for the fan. Thanks for checking in!

5 hours ago, David G. said:

BTW: Craft sticks, are those roughly the same thing as popsicle sticks? 

Thank you, David! Your kind words are much appreciated. Indeed, they are. I had a bunch of different ones around that I bought for stirring stuff, so, I decided to use them on this project. I figured they've had plenty of time to dry out, so that they would remain straight, if they were straight, when  I cut  and shaped them. Thank you for checking in!