Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model A Five-Window Coupe

Straightliner59

I got some work done on the wood for the roof, tonight. I cut some little pockets for the ribs to sit in. It all fits together, pretty nicely! I'm stymied, trying to figure out how to temporarily assemble it, to check its fit in the roof of the real world, not just as numbers. Thanks for looking! Questions, comments, critiques always welcome!

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

8 hours ago, oldnslow said:

Nice job on the insert , but the photo I saw , the framing is all on one level , not stacked ,and the frame should fit inside the opening almost flush with the roof .

Exactly why I said it isn't prototypically correct. The framing here is flush, because the sheet metal is thinner than the the plastic. I'll eliminate some of that thickness. I wanted to get it put together, because it was impossible to check the fit, without it assembled. Now, I can get to the fine-tuning! Thanks for your comments and observation, sir! ?

Edited by Straightliner59

6 hours ago, David G. said:

Nice work on the roof. Do you plan to leave it open or cover it?

David G.

I want to leave it open. I have been considering a roll-back canvas tonneau thingie for it. I also still need to notch the cross-pieces, so they will fit flush with the side rails. I need to thin the roof plastic, too. I needed to get it assembled, to see how it fit the body, though. Thank you, David! I appreciate your comment!

I got the fine-tuning on the roof a bit farther along. I thinned the plastic around the opening quite a fair amount. I will keep working at the interface between the body and the framework until the wood pretty much just snuggles into place (it doesn't, yet). I spent some time with a steel plate, some magnets and a blow dryer, and flattened the floor "plate". It was fairly humped, in the middle. Once that was done, I replaced the wood floorboards, inserted the interior door panels and dash, and set the assemblies together, and placed them on the chassis, to get a look at what I have, so far. I also tacky-glued the pressed aluminum grille shell to the chassis. I like where it's heading! Questions, comments and critiques always welcome! Thanks for checking it out!

DSC_0033cr.jpg

DSC_0048cr.jpg

DSC_0013cr.jpg

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0051cr.jpg

DSC_0026cr.jpg

DSC_0031cr.jpg

DSC_0062cr.jpg

DSC_0011cr.jpg

Edited by Straightliner59

4 hours ago, mchook said:

The top looks great & the I love that radiator shell. It wont be long & the primer & paint should be flying.

Thank you, Mark. Your kind words are appreciated! I like the metal, for the radiator shell, too. The aluminum looks more like nickel plating than kit chrome does, I think. I have an idea that might help to clean up its form a bit. It's still going to be a squeeze, between the fan and the radiator. Thanks for your comments.

I took this apart to rectify some issues I hadn't yet addressed, and thought I'd post a photo of some of the sub-assemblies. I soldered the flange to the header, and inserted pegs into the intake manifold. Now, the manifold and header fit together! As always, questions critiques and comments are welcome! Thanks for looking!

2DSC_0002.jpg

2DSC_0005.jpg

2DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0002cr.jpg

I needed to make the little brackets that mount to the axle ends of the rear shocks. They have a little ball on the end that the shock arm attaches to. It's a tiny piece of plastic, and oddly-shaped. I ended up making it by stretching some .060" plastic rod, holding the ends at similar angles, as I pulled, since the needed to bend in. Once i had those cut apart (leaving some of the long, thin end attached), I fitted them with the shocks in place, to get them close to where they belong. Next, I used a lighter to melt the thin end, carefully, to create the balled end. I still need to clean up the balls, a little, but, I am happy with them! It's kind of cool that they will be readily visible, on the finished model. Here are a couple of photos of the brackets, themselves, and with them, and the shocks, sitting in place. I've also included an overhead shot of the chassis, as it edges toward completion. As always, comments, critiques and questions are welcome! Thanks for stopping by!

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

DSC_0012cr.jpg

DSC_0015cr.jpg

DSC_0020cr.jpg

DSC_0021cr.jpg

DSC_0024cr.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've done more work on the chassis. I added the spring mounting hardware, and got the shocks, and their accoutrements taken care of. I will remount the radius rods, once I have the brake/clutch arms assembly worked out, and the master cylinder in place. I've made a lot of progress toward that end, as I have worked out the shape of the arms, themselves. I will thin this one down, a bit more, then transfer the pattern to brass. This one fits, beautifully, and swings, just right (not that it's going to!). I have an idea for the pedals, themselves, as well. Stay tuned! As always, questions, critiques and comments are welcome. Thank you for looking!

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0012cr.jpg

DSC_0013cr.jpg

DSC_0016cr.jpg

DSC_0021cr.jpg

DSC_0025cr.jpg