Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model A Five-Window Coupe

Straightliner59

I put together a banjo steering wheel. I turned the hub part that mounts to the column on the lathe. The horn button is just a disc, punched from tooling aluminum. There were photo-etched cross-braces with the wheel kit, but, to add a little color, I annealed and hammered some  fine gauge brass wire. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0011cr.jpg

Edited by Straightliner59

12 hours ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

Outstanding!

Thank you, Mark! I made new pulleys, today, along with getting the generator sorted out. It's assembled in the wrong order, here. Of course, the mounting bracket should be against the front of the case. Duh! I just threw it together, to get the photos, so none of it's attached.

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg

13 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Great job on the steering wheel Daniel, the addition of the brass is a nice touch and show again your attention to detail.  Very nice generator, did you used a small gear between the flange and the case?  If so, nice touch too!  Skillful man you are sir!!!

Thank you, Francis! I just thought the extra touch of color would be nice, on the wheel. I did, indeed, use a small gear. My late  friend, Don Fahrni gave me a box of watch parts, a few months before he died. There are a lot of usable gears, etc., in it. Your kind words and comments are always very much appreciated!

12 hours ago, espo said:

The attention to all the fine details is really interesting to follow, and they look great.  

Thanks, David! I truly enjoy that aspect of the hobby. I like to have, and to give people, lots of  stuff to look at!

10 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

...My late  friend, Don Fahrni gave me a box of watch parts, a few months before he died. There are a lot of usable gears, etc., in it.

You're right Daniel, I bought a big lot of used wrist watch and pocket watch parts few months ago and they are very useful.  I plan to use some on the drivetrain of my D100 pickup.

Sad to know you lost a good friend but you honor him using the hardware he gave you, nice gesture!

8 minutes ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

You're right Daniel, I bought a big lot of used wrist watch and pocket watch parts few months ago and they are very useful.  I plan to use some on the drivetrain of my D100 pickup.

Sad to know you lost a good friend but you honor him using the hardware he gave you, nice gesture!

Don was the best friend I ever had. He was my mentor, as well. He was a prominent figure in this magazine's early years. His models made the cover of Model Cars and SA(E), multiple times. He never had a secret, when it came to building--he would share anything he knew, with anyone who was interested. I'd not be the modeler I am, without his influence and guidance. It's sappy, but, I call my workbench "The Don Fahrni Memorial Workbench", in his honor.

6 minutes ago, Straightliner59 said:

Don was the best friend I ever had. He was my mentor, as well. He was a prominent figure in this magazine's early years. His models made the cover of Model Cars and SA(E), multiple times. He never had a secret, when it came to building--he would share anything he knew, with anyone who was interested. I'd not be the modeler I am, without his influence and guidance. It's sappy, but, I call my workbench "The Don Fahrni Memorial Workbench", in his honor.

Another beautiful gesture which is all in your honor my friend. You are helping to keep his memory alive and this is a true and indestructible mark of recognition ... you have class, my friend!!!

On 5/6/2020 at 8:49 AM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Another beautiful gesture which is all in your honor my friend. You are helping to keep his memory alive and this is a true and indestructible mark of recognition ... you have class, my friend!!!

Thank you, kind sir.

Well, that all fits! I don't know if it's a good thing, but, when the original kit belt/pulley casting is held  up in front of my engine's pulleys, they all match, perfectly! Looking from the side, they all align for the belt, so, I think we done good! ? Comments, questions and critiques are always welcome! Thanks for looking!

DSC_0008cr.jpg

DSC_0011cr.jpg

DSC_0012cr.jpg

I've started work on the welting that Monogram oddly left off the body. A fair amount of sanding and filling to do, but, I think it's a good start. I'm debating whether I want to open the doors, or not. I'm not sure if I am trying to talk myself into it, or out of it! As always, questions, comments and critiques are welcome. Thank for looking!

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

Good job on the body work Daniel!  I see that you added half round styrene strips in the wheel openings to simulate the embossing, nice touch!  I think it's a good candidate to cut the doors open but you know what it is with all the extra work...  The hinges are outside the body and could be fun to make.   From what I've seen so far on this build I don't think it's a brake for you!

I don't want to play the tempting demons!!!

1 hour ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

I don't want to play the tempting demons!!!

Yeah, I don't need any help, there!

I added the rolled ribs pretty early on. It definitely looks naked, without them! I'll likely talking myself out of opening the doors, right up 'til the second I cut 'em out!

I'm leaning closer toward opening the doors. I've not completed a model, before, that I opened the doors. This one should be relatively simple, to do.

Inspired by Francis and Tim, I took a very baby step, and made a filler cap for the fuel tank. The tank will be relocated to the trunk/rumble seat area. I  ran across a really neat way a guy did his, that uses a small electric pump, mounted to the frame. The lines are run through the glass bowl, and everything. Apparently, a pump is desired, when running two carbs. Anyway, making the brass cap (inspired by those on many of the trucks I've driven, through the years) went without a hitch! You can see, in a couple of the images, pencil marks on the body, indicating possible locations for the filler to be located. I am open to suggestions--please? ?

I think it will be simple projects like this filler cap that will give me some confidence, and a greater comfort level, with my mill. That will likely lead to more ambitious efforts! Now, about those doors...

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

DSC_0010cr.jpg

25 minutes ago, Straightliner59 said:

I think it will be simple projects like this filler cap that will give me some confidence, and a greater comfort level, with my mill. That will likely lead to more ambitious efforts! Now, about those doors...

You're absolutely right Daniel, we must walk before we can run!  You made a very good job with the filler cap.  Speaking about the location for this one, I would place it on the fender... I'm kind of a traditional person and I think it would be a logical position.  Would be cool with the doors opened... lol.  Just kidding, it's already a very cool build!!!

42 minutes ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

You're absolutely right Daniel, we must walk before we can run!  You made a very good job with the filler cap.  Speaking about the location for this one, I would place it on the fender... I'm kind of a traditional person and I think it would be a logical position.  Would be cool with the doors opened... lol.  Just kidding, it's already a very cool build!

Thank you, sir! I think the fender would look best, too. As I said, earlier, I am kind of leaning toward opening them, just to try something new! It's more fun, that way!

I shot some primer on it, to get an idea of where I am. Not bad, for a rough draft, I think.

2DSC_0006cr.jpg

2DSC_0008cr.jpg

2DSC_0010cr.jpg

Impressive body moldings. This feature is a part of what makes the appearance of this year model Ford. The gas filler question I think can best be answered by how it would work in the real world. Opening the trunk, even if it was a lift off type, would be difficult at best.  The upper body point you have marked would work if the tank is in the trunk area. Should you mount the fuel tank between the frame rails then something a little lower in that same body panel would avoid routing the filler thru the trunk area. I really like that gas cap. Add some paint to give it a slightly tarnished look and it would be good to go.   

17 minutes ago, espo said:

Impressive body moldings. This feature is a part of what makes the appearance of this year model Ford. The gas filler question I think can best be answered by how it would work in the real world. Opening the trunk, even if it was a lift off type, would be difficult at best.  The upper body point you have marked would work if the tank is in the trunk area. Should you mount the fuel tank between the frame rails then something a little lower in that same body panel would avoid routing the filler thru the trunk area. I really like that gas cap. Add some paint to give it a slightly tarnished look and it would be good to go.   

Thank you, David. I agree regarding the body molding. It's such an important part of the car's look, it's hard to believe  Monogram left it off. I suppose it's a concession to that open-top version they had of it, that uses the same body, and was molded in yellow. I plan on putting the tank, and the battery in the trunk. The trunk won't open, so the only indicators of them will be the filler cap, and, on the underside, the battery cables and the fuel line and pump. I am pretty happy with the cap! Agreed, too, that a bit of a wash will do wonders, for it. I think I'll install it there, on top of the body panel, probably adjacent to the top line of the trunk. Thanks for your comments.

10 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Daniel.....very, very impressive .... and great job on fixing those bodyside moldings, too.  Will be watching as you make further progress.....TIM 

Thank you, so very much, Tim. I am truly honored that you stopped by and commented! I still have some sanding to do with that molding, but, I am happy with the start! Thank you, also, for all your hard work for our hobby. I am sure that you are easily the most prolific writer this hobby has known--and I doubt it's even close. Thank you for your  inspiration. Not only for the times I've been inspired by your work, but, there must be thousands more, who've also been inspired by the things you've built and written about. Thank you, for all of that! Finally, thank you for my first-ever magazine appearance, in your Street Rodder column,  back in 1985 or '86. You posted a  photo of a Model A roadster I entered at the Oakland Roadster Show.