Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model A Five-Window Coupe

Straightliner59

Your car is coming along very nicely Daniel. I like the imagination you're putting into it to make it more realistic and the way you're going about making them.  A scratch-builder thru and thru.  Thanks too for the compliment.  cheers, tim

4 hours ago, Codi said:

Your car is coming along very nicely Daniel. I like the imagination you're putting into it to make it more realistic and the way you're going about making them.  A scratch-builder thru and thru.  Thanks too for the compliment.  cheers, tim

Thanks so much for your kind words, Tim. As I've told Francis--they are especially nice coming from a craftsman. Scratch building is a kick in the pants! I am attempting to make door hinges on the mill. We'll see how that works out! Thanks for your comments, and for looking in!

1 hour ago, espo said:

I like the way the gas tank filler turned out. That is how I would think it would look after years of use. The body character lines really define that area of the body.  

47 minutes ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Good job Daniel!  This gas filler cap found it's definitive place on your model and it looks great!  Another piece of the puzzle done...

David, thank you! When I remembered I had that bottle of Blacken-It, I knew what I was going to do. It worked out just as I had hoped it would!

Thank you, Francis! I think it found its place, for sure!

Started working on some door hinges. I crimped some .005" brass sheet around 1/32" brass tube, and soldered it, a bit. Then, I put it in the machinist's vise and passed a .032" square end mill through it, creating a sort of piano hinge. From here, I can use a pair of Wiss snips to cut individual hinge halves, as shown. I will hit them with another round of solder, once they're properly shaped. I think, too, that, once they are final-soldered, I will be able to file them to an even  more delicate size. They work nicely! Now, as Mr. Sapiro suggested above--do I have the guts to work on that 'A' pillar? Stay tuned! Thanks for looking! As always--questions, comments and critiques are welcome!

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg

4 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Nicely done.

Thank you, Greg. I figured that there would be no point to cutting the doors open, if I didn't have a  way to hinge them!

4 hours ago, Dave Van said:

Great work! Wish they'd reissue....I like the kit! 

I do, too, Dave. It's a nice kit--except, I don't understand why they left the molding off  the body...

4 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Finally the doors will work...lol.  That's great Daniel, this is exactly how I would have tried to make the hinges and I don't see any reason why it couldn't work.  Thanks for sharing!

Thank you, Francis! Now, I need to overcome my trepidation over cutting on those A pillars. Is there even enough  there, to pin a hinge to? Perhaps we will see! ? I looked around, online for hinges, and couldn't find any that looked like they would work, so, I did what any of us nutty scratch-builders would do! This was the best way to make them work, and still be small enough to look good. That you would have done them the same way, is reassuring.

1 hour ago, CabDriver said:

Really nice work on that gas cap!  

Thank you, Jim. I'm very happy with it. The finish came out just as I'd hoped!

8 hours ago, absmiami said:

The A pillar. If you have 5 different hobby saws and 3 different scribers  - one will work and the rest will not ...  do you have a spare body to experiment with ???

Unfortunately, I don't. Maybe I can find something around here with equally delicate A-pillars, to practice on--including pinning a hinge to. You're right about those tools! Fortunately, I have a good variety, to toss at it!

10 minutes ago, David G. said:

OK, just when I think that you've hit the limit of what can be done, you take it just a little further. ?

Amazing work!

David G.

Thank you, David, it's much appreciated! I'm having a blast, with this thing. I'm learning all kinds of new tricks.

In prelude to cutting out the doors (I've begun the process by dragging a saw blade, and the back of an X-Acto blade through the lines), It seems important to have the header and windshield frame in place. I think it may help some with rigidity. We'll see! Anyway, I have the frame and header home. That allowed me to tack the roof framing in place. I added some .030"X.040" Evergreen to the sides of the floor pan, to cover up some gaps that were visible, when the interior door panels were in place. She's getting there. Questions, comments and critiques always welcome! Thanks fer lookin'!

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

DSC_0011cr.jpg

DSC_0014cr.jpg

On 5/17/2020 at 5:49 PM, slusher said:

Looks great, that’s a real nice touch!

Thank you, sir! I seem to be at a standstill, at the moment. I am trying to figure out what I need to do, next. I think it's cutting out the doors, but, I don't want to do that, prematurely. I'm filling the pondering time by fiddling around with a snapper '53 Corvette. I can't decide which way I want to go,  with that--sporty street car, or lower-class gasser or stock class drag racer.

1 hour ago, Straightliner59 said:

Thank you, sir! I seem to be at a standstill, at the moment. I am trying to figure out what I need to do, next. I think it's cutting out the doors, but, I don't want to do that, prematurely. I'm filling the pondering time by fiddling around with a snapper '53 Corvette. I can't decide which way I want to go,  with that--sporty street car, or lower-class gasser or stock class drag racer.

I spend a lot of time before I go to sleep thinking about my projects and it really helps..