Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model A Five-Window Coupe

Straightliner59

8 hours ago, slusher said:

I spend a lot of time before I go to sleep thinking about my projects and it really helps.

I do, too! Sometimes, it keeps me awake.

7 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

Dan you are brave cutting out those doors with the top being separate pieces from the bottom.  This is still looking nice.  

I don't know that I am committed, just yet! Thank you for your kind words, Andy. It is a somewhat scary proposition.

3 minutes ago, David G. said:

I think you've made a wise decision deciding to reinforce the structure before making the cut.

I'm very interested to see how this plays out. Thanks again for taking the time to share this with us.

David G.

Thanks, David! Your comments are much appreciated. I'm interested in how this will play out, too! ? Thank you for following this project!

654BEDF5-394F-4839-AAA1-CD844128F66D.jpeg.b58160d450c17fd272524878d4858c41.jpeg

You got me thinking about the missing character line below the side windows. I have an old built up of a coupe sitting right above my bench and never noticed. Now you have me obsessed! ?

I’m thinking Monogram left it off because the kit was the coupe / convertible combo and the convertible didn’t have that detail? 

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

I’m thinking Monogram left it off because the kit was the coupe / convertible combo and the convertible didn’t have that detail?

That's what I figured, too. Weren't we discussing the yellow variant of this kit,  just a while back? At that time, I don't think I had realized, yet, that it was missing! ?

Just to be clear on the Model A body line, Tom, the roadster you show is a 29, the coupe is a 30 or 31.  They have entirely different body lines anyway. Great photos by the way but in this case we are comparing Granny Smith Apples to Pink Lady apples, still apples but different variants!

The cabriolet had its own body lines on the door tops but I will have to check to see how these compare with the real thing.

Loving this build Daniel.  I've never opened the doors on this kit but if I was going to, I would have a full inner door fabricated and glued in place before I started cutting. That Monogram plastic is brittle at the best of times and that front pillar is going to be SCAAAary thin!

Cheers

Alan

6 hours ago, Flat32 said:

It's the radiator overflow catch can.

That certainly caught my eye!

5 hours ago, carsntrucks4you said:

Great looking model nice details and a lot of work. ?

Thank you, m.w.! Much appreciated!

6 hours ago, alan barton said:

Loving this build Daniel.  I've never opened the doors on this kit but if I was going to, I would have a full inner door fabricated and glued in place before I started cutting. That Monogram plastic is brittle at the best of times and that front pillar is going to be SCAAAary thin!

Thank you, John! I agree, that 'a' pillar is the main reason I haven't dived into that part of the project, yet. I like your suggestion of fabricating the inner door structure, prior to hacking the doors open. With those in place, it should provide a bit more rigidity. I have all the hinges made. I'm just waiting to build up my courage! ?

On 5/22/2020 at 8:36 AM, Straightliner59 said:

Thank you, John! I agree, that 'a' pillar is the main reason I haven't dived into that part of the project, yet. I like your suggestion of fabricating the inner door structure, prior to hacking the doors open. With those in place, it should provide a bit more rigidity. I have all the hinges made. I'm just waiting to build up my courage! ?

I don't want to put you more pressure about opening the doors because your car is fantastic anyway and don't necessarily need this feature.  However, if you decided to proceed with the cuts, I just want to tell you that I had this problem (with the «A» pillars) on my '64 D100.  As you know my donor kit was an original 62 FORD body so the plastic was very brittle and the windshield frame had to by modified to match the shape of the Dodge truck. They are very thin already so they broke on both sides not counting that I dropped the body on the floor a couple of times on the early stage of the build. I glued them back several time with Bondene liquid glue or Cyanoacrylate but they were simply too thin to endure any manipulation.  To fix the problem I folded a thin piece of aluminum in a «L» shape and glued it on the inside of the «A» pillar where the door window frame meet the pillar.  In the unpleasant but possible event that a break happen on you car, you could try this trick with thin brass instead of aluminum depending on what you have on hands.  I attached a picture that show partially the fix, but I don't want in any way to hijack your thread Daniel!

352257463_APillar_Fix.jpeg.f51c9589e121ed36c8fd2dca521accbd.jpeg

3 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

I don't want to put you more pressure about opening the doors because your car is fantastic anyway and don't necessarily need this feature.  However, if you decided to proceed with the cuts, I just want to tell you that I had this problem (with the «A» pillars) on my '64 D100.  As you know my donor kit was an original 62 FORD body so the plastic was very brittle and the windshield frame had to by modified to match the shape of the Dodge truck. They are very thin already so they broke on both sides not counting that I dropped the body on the floor a couple of times on the early stage of the build. I glued them back several time with Bondene liquid glue or Cyanoacrylate but they were simply too thin to endure any manipulation.  To fix the problem I folded a thin piece of aluminum in a «L» shape and glued it on the inside of the «A» pillar where the door window frame meet the pillar.  In the unpleasant but possible event that a break happen on you car, you could try this trick with thin brass instead of aluminum depending on what you have on hands.  I attached a picture that show partially the fix, but I don't want in any way to hijack your thread Daniel!

Ah! Thank you, Francis! That is a brilliant idea! I now know exactly what I am going to do. I appreciate the photo! It's a big help. Broken and lost stuff just comes with this territory. There isn't a one of us, who hasn't spent hours of work on something, only to have to do it again!

It still needs a little work, and another shot of Dullcote, but I think it looks pretty cool! I used a lens cloth for the blanket. I coated it with white glue, and smeared some grey Gunze Sangyo paint on it. Then, I found a saddle blanket pattern that I liked, and printed it on clear decal film, and applied it to the lens cloth, then, I basted it with Micro Sol, like a Thanksgiving turkey. I shot it with matte clear, then made the fringe from embroidery floss on masking tape. It still needs to be adhered to the seat, and folded around it.  As always...And, thanks for looking!

DSC_0001cr.jpg

On 6/5/2020 at 4:07 AM, Flat32 said:

000-WEB-LEAD-HRX-190900-2019-trog-starti

On 6/5/2020 at 7:14 AM, oldnslow said:

The only problem with the pic is she's waving the checkered flag , not a green one . Everything else looks great .

Yea but she was super hot so she gets a pass! TROG at Wildwood NJ, you had to be there!