Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model A Five-Window Coupe

Straightliner59

The doors have been removed from the body. As feared, the A-pillars broke, exactly where they meet the cowl. They literally broke, as I was freeing the last bit of door from where it was molded to he dash. Got a lot of cleanup to do, along with fabrication of jambs, inner framing and mounting the hinges  and doors. I think I can  drill through the bases of the A-pillars and pin them to he body. I am weighing options, re: jambs. I could make them from strip brass, and solder the hinges to them, but, I am unsure of the practicality of that. Not like there's no time to figure it out! As always, questions, critiques and comments are always welcome!

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg

7 hours ago, Dave Van said:

Hope you don't mind....this one was on Hemmings today......inspiration!!! So cool!!

That's very cool, Dave. We can  always use a little inspiration!

4 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Outstanding inspirational work - I’m interested to see how you handle those door jambs!

Thanks, Jim! I'm a little curious, myself!

21 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

As feared, the A-pillars broke, exactly where they meet the cowl. They literally broke, as I was freeing the last bit of door from where it was molded to he dash. Got a lot of cleanup to do, along with fabrication of jambs, inner framing and mounting the hinges  and doors. I think I can  drill through the bases of the A-pillars and pin them to he body. I am weighing options,

Sad to hear that the worst has happened my friend ... I feel a little guilty ...  I don't know if this could be an option but maybe you could make a groove in the A pillar and jamb and bury a small brass or aluminum rod as a connecting piece?

2 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Sad to hear that the worst has happened my friend ... I feel a little guilty ...  I don't know if this could be an option but maybe you could make a groove in the A pillar and jamb and bury a small brass or aluminum rod as a connecting piece?

I think that is what I will try. Don't feel guilty! This is all my doing! It was actually one of the goals I'd hoped to accomplish, when I started this project. Now, I need to figure out in which order to proceed.

It's a bummer about the A-pillars breaking, a frustrating but not insurmountable set-back.

You have so many other fine details going on with this one that it would almost be an insult to the build not to open the doors. 

I wish you the best of luck with the repair work.

David G.

9 hours ago, oldnslow said:

work so far is inspiring in itself , this is going to be one of the better builds on here . B)

Thanks, Robert! That is very kind, and much appreciated.

8 hours ago, David G. said:

It's a bummer about the A-pillars breaking, a frustrating but not insurmountable set-back.

You have so many other fine details going on with this one that it would almost be an insult to the build not to open the doors. 

I wish you the best of luck with the repair work.

David G.

I basically had the A-pillars fixed, right away, thankfully! I still need to strengthen them, before I can do any work. Ideally, I'd be able to cement the body permanently to the chassis, now, since I essentially have a prototypical body, at this point. Unfortunately, I don't think there would be enough access, to finish the work I need to do, inside. Even while I was "hemming and  hawing", I knew the doors were going to be opened. ? Here are a couple of photos one of the fractures (yellow arrow), and the culprit that caused the pillars to break (the area between the red arrows). The area between the red arrows should not have protruded into the door line. Instead, it should be flush, between the jambs. It was cutting the doors free from that, that over-stressed the pillars. At this point, however, I think my best option is to square up and clean up (finish) the ends, and accept it. I don't see the cowl staying attached to the roof, if I was to either try to sand it flush, or, to remove  it, altogether, and fabricate a new panel. Before anything else happens, I need to drill and pin the breaks, first. I am fairly certain I can drill at an angle, and pin it, as it's cemented, now (blue line). It's looking pretty cool, I think. In further news, I am actually considering buying some thread, and building a tiny loom, to weave a new blanket, for the seat. having had some time to take it in, I'm not sold on the experimental one. As always, comment, critiques and questions are welcome. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0008cr.jpg.98fb73e4c543e3c2e873b3df3930d44e.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg.1727916e754e9db3a67ea99fb8e668af.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg.7af15f9fee5d13005b6c57158f27a141.jpg

DSC_0003cr.jpg.da2602a49d87d041f9b18a6df6d3f5a2.jpg

Edited by Straightliner59

54 minutes ago, Straightliner59 said:

Thanks, Robert! That is very kind, and much appreciated.

I basically had the A-pillars fixed, right away, thankfully! I still need to strengthen them, before I can do any work. Ideally, I'd be able to cement the body permanently to the chassis, now, since I essentially have a prototypical body, at this point. Unfortunately, I don't think there would be enough access, to finish the work I need to do, inside. Even while I was "hemming and  hawing", I knew the doors were going to be opened. ? Here are a couple of photos one of the fractures (yellow arrow), and the culprit that caused the pillars to break (the area between the red arrows). The area between the red arrows should not have protruded into the door line. Instead, it should be flush, between the jambs. It was cutting the doors free from that, that over-stressed the pillars. At this point, however, I think my best option is to square up and clean up (finish) the ends, and accept it. I don't see the cowl staying attached to the roof, if I was to either try to sand it flush, or, to remove  it, altogether, and fabricate a new panel. Before anything else happens, I need to drill and pin the breaks, first. I am fairly certain I can drill at an angle, and pin it, as it's cemented, now (blue line). It's looking pretty cool, I think. In further news, I am actually considering buying some thread, and building a tiny loom, to weave a new blanket, for the seat. having had some time to take it in, I'm not sold on the experimental one. As always, comment, critiques and questions are welcome. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0008cr.jpg.98fb73e4c543e3c2e873b3df3930d44e.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg.1727916e754e9db3a67ea99fb8e668af.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg.7af15f9fee5d13005b6c57158f27a141.jpg

DSC_0003cr.jpg.da2602a49d87d041f9b18a6df6d3f5a2.jpg

IMHO the blanket for the seat has almost a waxy look to the surface so I would keep looking for another option. Great thread here that is a lot of fun to follow.

5 minutes ago, misterNNL said:

IMHO the blanket for the seat has almost a waxy look to the surface so I would keep looking for another option. Great thread here that is a lot of fun to follow.

I agree, about the blanket. If I don't make one, I'll get some printable fabric, and make one, that way! Thanks, Tom! Glad you're enjoying it!

This is at least a temporary solution, but, since the real one has a reinforced area inside the door, if it works, I can keep it. I added some .100" Evergreen angle. It holds the door opening to the proper width, and stabilizes the body, immensely. The other day, in a thread regarding liquid cement applicators, Ace mentioned insulin syringes. Back in 2000, I moved into a trailer, and found several bags of brand new ones. I had a thought they might work for cement, but, I put them aside and never really thought about them, until Bill mentioned them, then. I'll just say that I'm glad I have a lot of them. They work great! I left a small amount of cement in this one for a couple of days, and the thing still works. No issue with the solvent eating the rubber or plastic!

Image000012cr.jpg

Image000062cr.jpg

Image000072cr.jpg

Image000122cr.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Six views of the body. Not much going on, lately. I have been distracted with organizing some stuff in the shop. I have a large number of parts kits, and boxes of parts kits. I see them and see a lot of space that could be used for other things, if I was only to sort those kits. I digress...Included here is a photo of the bottom of the body. I am waiting on a package of .060" Evergreen angle stock, to replace the .100" that's bridging the bottoms of the door openings, now.

DSC_0011cr.jpg

DSC_0017cr.jpg

DSC_0020cr.jpg

DSC_0023cr.jpg

DSC_0032cr.jpg

DSC_0036cr.jpg