Model Cars Magazine Forum
bisc63

Console, '68 or '69 Impala SS

Does anyone have a good 1/25 '69 Impala console? Was wondering about the accuracy; if they weren't great, would I be better off scratch-building one; I know it will not be easy to find! If someone could post a really clear picture of an original kit part, that would even be helpful! References say the 1968 and 1969 are the same in the 1:1 world. All help appreciated!

The consoles kit wise are the same. Full scale, I would check first. The console is accurate for the '68. Here's the '69 console.

48633596568_087196027b_b.jpg

Here a pic of a '68 rebuilder from the stash.

0827192230.jpg

I have an MPC, and an AMT '69 kit. I'll check them for consoles and report back.

Posted (edited)

Kevin, I noticed that the seats are separate from the console on your '68 promo while they're molded to the console on my '69 promo. I wonder why they did it that way on the '69?

Edited by Plowboy

49 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

I wonder why they did it that way on the '69?

That is a good question....you wouldn't suppose the simplified the mold...IDK

My '69 hardtop kit is an AMT. The console is molded together with the bucket seats. I got mine as an incomplete rebuilder, and the front seats are not in the kit.

The '68 I have is an MPC. The console is molded to the floorpan of the interior tub, and the seats are separate. I assume the MPC '69 kit would be the same, but I hesitate to rip off the plastic on the example I have.

Would the 1970 Impala have a different console?

Wow! There's more survivors out there than I expected! The 68 consoles pictured here look to me to not have quite enough taper to the sides of the flat panel surrounding the shifter, but the red 69 looks right on! It could be the angle of the pic, but I'll post a pic of the real thing to show what I'm talking about. Thank you  all for the replies; cool info here, as ever! Now if someone can wheel and deal on an extra...

IMG_7819.JPG

... and if you're wondering what I need it for, here's a teaser pic. I hope to have it done by the end of the year. I never have enough time to devote to it, but who ever does!?

IMG_4575 (Small).JPG

2 hours ago, Bucky said:

Would the 1970 Impala have a different console?

The 70 kit has a bench seat; that's what I'm up against! Thanks for taking time to check!

I never cared for the console delete! It just looks unfinished to me.

11 hours ago, bisc63 said:

... and if you're wondering what I need it for, here's a teaser pic. I hope to have it done by the end of the year. I never have enough time to devote to it, but who ever does!?

IMG_4575 (Small).JPG

What top did you use on that? Looks really good!

1970 never had a console. Last year for an SS was ‘69. I’d buy a bunch of the ‘68 console! Like to do a ‘70 and ‘76 Phantom SS.

9 hours ago, fordf-100 said:

What top did you use on that? Looks really good!

Thanks! The top is scratch-built, and I'm still fine-tuning the shape of the back glass. I found a real one in a junk yard and just fell in love with the body style. It's one of those times when pictures don't do justice to the proportions of the actual automobile. The real car has a real muscle car feel to it, compared to the formal roof line of the Caprice and base Impalas. The extra mass over the rear wheels in those big forward sloping C-pillars just changes everything! Ever since then, I've been scheming to build one. Old '69 kits are bringing silly money these days, and you still don't get the Sport Coupe roof, so I figured I'd source a few parts, and convert the always plentiful AMT 70 Impala body to a '69. I've gotten the front and back bumper assemblies already, and have begun reworking the front fenders to fit the parts. Just planning ahead on the console, hence this post. A 69 hood would be a time-saver as well, but if I have to, I'll scratch it, too.

When I have it a bit further along, I'll start a proper thread "on the workbench"

4 hours ago, George Bojaciuk said:

1970 never had a console. Last year for an SS was ‘69. I’d buy a bunch of the ‘68 console! Like to do a ‘70 and ‘76 Phantom SS.

Right on, GB.  Shame on Chevy for denying the full-sized car guys a proper SS, especially with Chevelles getting such a nice treatment that year. We were robbed!

7 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Thanks! The top is scratch-built, and I'm still fine-tuning the shape of the back glass. I found a real one in a junk yard and just fell in love with the body style. It's one of those times when pictures don't do justice to the proportions of the actual automobile. The real car has a real muscle car feel to it, compared to the formal roof line of the Caprice and base Impalas. The extra mass over the rear wheels in those big forward sloping C-pillars just changes everything! Ever since then, I've been scheming to build one. Old '69 kits are bringing silly money these days, and you still don't get the Sport Coupe roof, so I figured I'd source a few parts, and convert the always plentiful AMT 70 Impala body to a '69. I've gotten the front and back bumper assemblies already, and have begun reworking the front fenders to fit the parts. Just planning ahead on the console, hence this post. A 69 hood would be a time-saver as well, but if I have to, I'll scratch it, too.

When I have it a bit further along, I'll start a proper thread "on the workbench"

I will be looking forward to seeing this finished, I have always liked the different bodystyles that have never been kitted. Keep up the good work!

The 68 and 69 consoles are not the same. They are close but the insert inlay is totally different from each other. As well are they a little different from the promos as well. I have many of both these years and compared them all by year, manufacture of kit as well compared them to the promo and annuals. No matter what anyone tells you every year is different from one another and even have differences between manufacturers. MPC and AMT kits may look the same, but many parts aren’t interchangeable like the hoods for example or chassis. MPC is actually a little longer then the AMT kit.

I was speaking more of the commonality of the large structures. Sure there are detail differences, but you can swap parts between the two years. The cosole armrests, for example, are the same part. The base is the same part, and so on. ( Referring to real cars here)  Reproduction suppliers like Impala Bob's and others bear this out. In 1/25 scale, you'd have to look closely to notice the differences on accurate pieces., just get your inlay details correct. The overall shape should be identical; the fact that you see so many differences in kits is just a reflection of the different approaches to scale realism taken by the various manufacturers and tool makers. From what I've seen so far, the best in scale is to be found in the '69 models. Forum member Khils posted a very good picture of a '69 automatic console and a 68 4-speed console in another thread, each by different makers, I believe.

Not the first time at all that GM used common parts between years; go looking for consoles for a '67 Impala SS and you find commonality with the '66. This surprised me; I might have expected similarities between 65 and 66, since body styles were so similar, but not the case at all!  Restoration suppliers and their catalogs/web sites are a wealth of good photo references for these things.