Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jessi Combs, race driver and TV and Autoblog host, dies in jet car accident

33 minutes ago, webestang said:

Very sad news. At least she died doing what she loved. RIP

Yes, she sure did. 

I admired her and her work because she wasn't just a pretty face hired to be eye candy on the shows she appeared on, she was there to do the work! Saw her in passing at SEMA a couple of years ago, wish I had stopped to meet her then.

Last spring I found some articles and pics online about Jessi and the Craftsman twin 4-banger she raced on the beach at Wildwood NJ's " The Race of Gentlemen ". I was so taken with the look of the car I decided to whip up my own version in 1/25th scale for the TROG themed MAMA show in Maryland.

20190511_123032.jpg

Edited by styromaniac

This is too sad.  I have heard some say that it's not the number of years you have, but what you get out of the years that you have.  I hope that is the case here.  She died way too young.

As I seem to recall, Jessi got her start in the television world as an intern on the Mythbusters.  If I am thinking of the same person, they gave her some screen time on the show, and she seemed to be a natural working in front of the camera.

3 hours ago, Jim N said:

This is too sad.  I have heard some say that it's not the number of years you have, but what you get out of the years that you have.  I hope that is the case here.  She died way too young.

As I seem to recall, Jessi got her start in the television world as an intern on the Mythbusters.  If I am thinking of the same person, they gave her some screen time on the show, and she seemed to be a natural working in front of the camera.

SHe appeared at a Wyotech segment in Overhaulin' while still in school and hosted Extreme 4x4 (Powerblock TV) for four years, leaving in 2008.  Covered on Mythbusters in 2009.  Then on to AGG and Overhaulin' (as a host)

The first time I saw Jessi, she was on Mythbusters. If I recall, correctly. They introduced her as one of their fabricators. I think that would have been at least ten years ago. People who race or participate in other extreme sports know the potential for something like this to happen. I think there's something in them that can't help but to gaze into that maw, and, not only overcome that fear, but, to revel in the face of it. After I shot this photo of Tony Schumacher at Denver, I walked up to their pit and showed it to him. I said, "Man, that's gotta' pucker your bunghole!" He grinned and said, "It's "effing" fun, man!" They are wired differently, than most of us are.

DSC_0256crweb.jpg

Edited by Straightliner59

A beautiful woman who knows cars and how to repair them when something goes wrong.Now that’s a fine woman.And as I said,she’s looks like a hot little surfer girl.Or the nice girl next door.I really liked her show,Extreme 4x4.I always wondered if her co host on that show,was her husband.Anybody know???

On 9/7/2019 at 2:50 PM, NYLIBUD said:

A beautiful woman who knows cars and how to repair them when something goes wrong.Now that’s a fine woman.And as I said,she’s looks like a hot little surfer girl.Or the nice girl next door.I really liked her show,Extreme 4x4.I always wondered if her co host on that show,was her husband.Anybody know???

Extreme 4X4 was her first show when She was fresh out of Wyotech after graduating at the top of Her class. I don't think She was married to that guy (Ian, I think his name was?)

Such a cool chick, I'm going to miss Her being here.......