Model Cars Magazine Forum

How high will it go?

Although I'am not following the auction a 65 or 66 Chrysler unbuilt in mint box would bring more money, especially a convertible..Had a hardtop (1966) that I sold in our city for $250.00..Guess I got lucky because we don't have that many modelers here in Winnipeg and our city is know to be cheap too..NO one wants to pay big money for anything..

8 hours ago, moparfarmer said:

Although I'am not following the auction a 65 or 66 Chrysler unbuilt in mint box would bring more money, especially a convertible..Had a hardtop (1966) that I sold in our city for $250.00..Guess I got lucky because we don't have that many modelers here in Winnipeg and our city is know to be cheap too..NO one wants to pay big money for anything..

I'm not sure about that Wayne.

I haven't really been following availability for the past couple of years as I have most of these kits now, but back when I was still hunting, the Johan '65-'66 Chryslers came up more often than the '65 Fury kit.

I'll agree that the Chryslers do go for big money when they pop up in pristine condition, but I still think the '65 Fury is more difficult to find.

I have nothing scientific to back that up of course.

Just my perception.

Steve

I was watching it end, just happened to be checking my mail.   Funny thing,   NO SNIPERS!  That last bid was visible for at least a day.

But the '64 Rambler American and '66 Rambler American Convertible the same seller had up both were sniped in the last 10 seconds, by different people!

I think the fact that the auction ended in the middle of the day on a Tuesday could have really held the price back.

I have learned over time that the best chance of getting a pretty good deal on ebay is to watch for auctions that do not end on a weekend.

This theory has held true for me more often than not.

$200.00 for this particular kit is not really out of line.

Steve

6 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I think the fact that the auction ended in the middle of the day on a Tuesday could have really held the price back.

I have learned over time that the best chance of getting a pretty good deal on ebay is to watch for auctions that do not end on a weekend.

This theory has held true for me more often than not.

$200.00 for this particular kit is not really out of line.

Steve

Good point Steve... I’ll keep that in mind when I put stuff up for sale.

My max bid was $200, and it sold for $202. It might seem that I lost it by only two dollars, but, the winning bidder could have had $300 on it for all I know. I said I wouldn’t go a penny over what I bid, and stuck to it. 

I did finally get a real nice 62 Plymouth 300 though. 

Edited by Brutalform

12 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I think the fact that the auction ended in the middle of the day on a Tuesday could have really held the price back.  I have learned over time that the best chance of getting a pretty good deal on ebay is to watch for auctions that do not end on a weekend.

Probably so.  Looking at various eBay selling boards, the general consensus is: the best time to end an eBay sale is on Sunday night. Everybody sure seems to believe that. I keep my eBay "Sort" of Models & Kits set to "Ending Soonest."  On Sun. night, the auctions end so fast it's hard to follow them, within a few seconds of each other.

Before retirement, I had my auctions end on Sat. night.  That gave me all day Sunday to pack everything and cram the car full of boxes. On Monday I'd go to work and hit the Post Office on my lunch break.  After retirement, I've usually ended them on Sun. night. I have experimented with ending auctions in the middle of the week and other times.  I do seem to get more action ending them on Sunday.

I have an eBay sale all ready to go, and almost put it up 2 weeks ago. Then I remembered it would end on  Labor Day weekend.  That seemed like a bad time to end an auction, since most people are traveling or doing outdoorsy stuff. Not sitting in front of a screen watching eBay.  

Good points Mike!

Yes, Sunday night was the magic time!  Everyone was supposed to be home, and resting up for Monday!  I had a $1000-2000 a month business going back in 1999 selling old car brochures.  I always finished my auctions on Sunday evening.  There was no invoicing feature on eBay back then, so I'd email my invoices to buyers as the auctions ended.  Back then there were no eBay IDs, your email address appeared on every auction and bid!

One of my favorite things to do back then was cruise auctions at 6am on Christmas morning.  I got some smokin' deals then!  I would still end auctions on Sunday night today, but I don't think it's as important as people are using sniping tools.

Also, there was no Paypal, so everyone paid through the mails, either check or money order.  Many sellers only took USPS money orders.  Some would wait for checks to clear.  I had my business set so my median sale was $10.  I would just ship upon receipt, and not worry about checks clearing.  I figured all the time I saved each week would surely cover the loss of one check.  And ya know, I never had a bad payment.

My formula was to end auctions on Sunday and invoice.  Payments would start trickling in by Tuesday.  My auctions all stated that I mailed every Saturday morning for all payments received by Friday.  I had a box that my wife put the eBay payments in all week. Every Friday evening, I'd set up a folding table and do my packing and shipping. Since it was all brochures, I would buy photo mailers by the case, so packing and shipping went very quick.  I could easily get out 50 orders a week.

As time went on eBay got more popular and there were more sellers.  The prices realized fell dramatically as well as the sell through rate.  Early on, you could do no wrong! Everything sold!  It soon wasn't worthwhile to sell anymore.  The final blow for me was when they separated out eBay Motors and my third party listing tool no longer worked!   

Ah for the good ole days!

Edited by Tom Geiger

15 hours ago, Brutalform said:

My max bid was $200, and it sold for $202. It might seem that I lost it by only two dollars, but, the winning bidder could have had $300 on it for all I know. I said I wouldn’t go a penny over what I bid, and stuck to it.

That is probably the best strategy for anybody who is on any sort of budget and doesn't want to get into one of those "bidding wars" that some people fret about.

As I've stated before in other threads, you can only become involved in "bidding wars" if you are a willing participant.

This is the way that I always operate when bidding on ebay.

Decide on the highest price that I'm willing to pay, place that bid and walk away.

Simple as that.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

4 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

This is the way that I always operate when bidding on ebay.

Decide on the highest price that I'm willing to pay, place that bid and walk away.

Simple as that.

Steve

Decide on your highest price, then deduct the seller's shipping cost. There's your bid price. 

DON'T put this bid in and walk away. Wait until the last possible minute to place your bid. 

If you show up at the last minute and it's already over your price, oh well, there will be another one coming up next week. 

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Decide on your highest price, then deduct the seller's shipping cost. There's your bid price.

I add the sellers shipping fee in as part of the bid that I offer.

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

DON'T put this bid in and walk away. Wait until the last possible minute to place your bid.

What difference does that make?

Your max bid is your max bid.

It makes absolutely no difference at what point you offer it.

If I come across an auction on day one that is starting at $9.99 and I am willing to pay $150.00, that's my bid.

Yeah I know, people will "fish",  looking for the high bid to go a couple of dollars over the maximum bid, but I really don't care what everyone else does after I place my bid.

If someone wins it for $150.01, that's 1 cent more than I am willing to pay anyway, so they can have it.

It's worth my peace of mind just to bid whenever I run across an item that I'm interested in, and leave it at that.

Granted, there is the possibility that I may have been able to get the item cheaper if I had waited until late in the auction, but this is also the most likely way to get drawn into bidding more than you originally intended.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

2 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

What difference does that make?

Your max bid is your max bid.

It makes absolutely no difference at what point you offer it.

If I come across an auction on day one that is starting at $9.99 and I am willing to pay $150.00, that's my bid.

Yeah I know, people will "fish",  looking for the high bid to go a couple of dollars over the maximum bid, but I really don't care what everyone else does after I place my bid.

If someone wins it for $150.01, that's 1 cent more than I am willing to pay anyway, so they can have it.

It's worth my peace of mind just to bid whenever I run across an item that I'm interested in, and leave it at that.

Granted, there is the possibility that I may have been able to get the item cheaper if I had waited until late in the auction, but this is also the most likely way to get drawn into bidding more than you originally intended.

Steve

Gotta disagree with you here, old friend. 

If you put in an early big bid that exceeds someone else's "max price," you give them time to talk themselves into upping the price they're willing to pay. Have seen it happen many times. 

Also, putting in a big bid early can increase the price you pay even if you win. Let the thing sit there at as low a price as possible as long as possible. That'll keep down the bids of those trying to sneak in for a good deal. 

There is no advantage in showing your cards before you need to. B)

16 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

If you put in an early big bid that exceeds someone else's "max price," you give them time to talk themselves into upping the price they're willing to pay. Have seen it happen many times.

That's all moot if you are disciplined enough to throw out the absolute maximum amount that you are willing to pay and just plan on paying that amount if you win.

If you win and your max bid has been reached, then you've won.

If you get it for less than your max bid......bonus.

If someone else wants to play those games, I invite them to.

It matters little to me one way or the other.

They are model cars.

They're really not all that important in the end.

There are always going to be those people sitting in the shadows waiting to snipe you in the last second, and there are always going to be those who "talk themselves into" upping the price.

I just elevate myself above all of that drama, place a bid, and let the chips fall where they may.

Try it sometime.

It does wonders for keeping down the blood pressure. ^_^

24 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

There is no advantage in showing your cards before you need to. B)

I suspect that there are different personalities at play here.

I have no interest in gaining any kind of advantage.

It's not a game to me.

I'm just looking to acquire the items that I want for the amount that I feel that the item is worth. ;)

Steve