Model Cars Magazine Forum

Time to hunker down

BigTallDad

Just hoping it's a lot of rain by the time it gets to us ( Jacksonville ). Where I live on the westside ( the best side B) ) it hasn't flooded too bad ( not in a flood zone ) , we still get water in the streets , but it runs off quickly , damage from the wind is my main concern . We lost our fence last time and I kinda like the new one .

Everyone take the precautions necessary to be safe .

I'm located 1 mile west of I4, 22 miles ssw of the Speedway and 20 miles n of Orlando. Although they don't know exactly where it will come into the coast, current projections point to just n of Miami. From their it will arc n into the center of Florida and travel n.. It's due to be a category 4 storm upon entry into the state. When a hurricane turns, it looses momentum and will become category 1 storm. This is what happened 2 years ago. We'll still lose power for up to a week. The guy next door to me got his generator out last night and started it up. I'm ready.

Be Safe Everyone!

I was watching the Philadelphia noon news on TV. This morning 20 crews from the Atlantic City, NJ power company left for a muster point near Florida. A long row of bucket trucks each dragging a trailer, some with pole borers, some with generators. One with a huge trailer of bottled water, followed by a diesel tanker for refueling.

News said more crews were poised to leave if needed. All of the power companies on the east coast have mutual agreements. When Sandy hit New Jersey we saw crews from many southern states in the area.

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I just saw that the storm is now headed more offshore so while the coast will still have a storm, it won't be devastating.  I hope it's true and everyone will just have too much milk and bread for a while!

Yep. That's good news for me

[Image of probabilities of 34-kt winds]

Many years ago we were on St Thomas and there was rumor of an impending hurricane. My wife got scared and asked a hotel guy what we’s do. He replied that our hotel was the area hurricane shelter and we’d be fine. 

The storm went out to sea and the worse thing that happened was the water got rough. So I sat on the beach watching women lose their bikini tops! ?

Edited by Tom Geiger