Model Cars Magazine Forum

Platz nunu 1/24 Kremer Porsche 935 K3 Le Mans 1979 announced for October release

Junkman

16 hours ago, aurfalien said:

These decals look very nice but there is no car remotely close to use them on.  Look at the K3 front air dam and rear wing for example.  I don't think these decals would look right on it.

If it's one thing that I've learned reading all of the posts and looking at all of the work on this message board, accuracy is very important.  To me, not so much but in general to the seasoned builder, it can be very critical.

Well Mike (Indycals) does make very nice decals, however these are designed to fit the K2, so they probably fit fine on there.  But as you point out that's not accurate.  I'd say the one place where accuracy does become a "very important" thing to an extent is within the racing community.  If you're building a '66 Impala, you can do pretty much anything to it, and people would be hard pressed to argue you're wrong.  If you're building the Hawaiian Tropic 935/77 Le Mans car - you're making an exact replica of something that existed in an exact specific way.

Edited by niteowl7710

22 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Well Mike (Indycals) does make very nice decals, however these are designed to fit the K2, so they probably fit fine on there.  But as you point out that's not accurate.  I'd say the one place where accuracy does become a "very important" thing to an extent is within the racing community.  If you're building a '66 Impala, you can do pretty much anything to it, and people would be hard pressed to argue you're wrong.  If you're building the Hawaiian Tropic 935/77 Le Mans car - you're making an exact replica of something that existed in an exact specific way.

Absolutely on the money here, with the exception of the more dedicated "replica stock" community who correct bodies, match color codes, and parts swap their way to specific cars that existed rather than the more generic examples in the kits. 

As to NuNu's new 935K3, couldn't be happier and certainly hope to get a crack at building it. 

On 9/15/2019 at 2:46 PM, Dave Van said:

These are Indycals decals.  I really like them and have a bunch. Indycals just released a set of MOMO Porsche decals I just got this week.

2v2EGKbVWxJcANd.jpg

Yeah, but you are an absolute genius when it comes to applying that stuff.
I'm confident I'm fist handed enough to bugger this up royally.

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, OutaFocus said:

So, Hobby Easy in Hong Kong is now showing the 935 K3 kit and detail up set in stock.

I've placed my order and got the confirmation. What I need now is a set of Apple livery decals. Hopefully the aftermarket will come up with something.

porsche_935_k3_group_5_apple_computer_by_lindstyling_d4tk0t8-fullview.jpg

2 hours ago, Roncla said:

I've placed my order and got the confirmation. What I need now is a set of Apple livery decals. Hopefully the aftermarket will come up with something.

porsche_935_k3_group_5_apple_computer_by_lindstyling_d4tk0t8-fullview.jpg

Renaissance out of France said they were doing that one, plus two others I can't recall off the top of my head.

Also Platz tweeted around 6pm EST tonight this (pardon the machine translation), so hopefully Japanese vendors will have it by the beginning of next week.

Screenshot_20191219-204149.thumb.png.f4c67574d97f3470d74323cad44bd7a6.png

That'd be a 3-5 day gap between Hong Kong release and Japanese distribution. Which makes a pretty clear case why Beemax couldn't drop their deal with Aoshima fast enough. 

Edited by niteowl7710

• 3 weeks later...

Copy paste from other thread. 

Ron, I am also eagerly awaiting this kit! However, someone pointed out that the model looked awkward. I looked into it, and came up with the following quick & dirty shape analysis. I *really* hope that the photo is of a prototype model, not the production kit. Can you compare your model to the photos below and comment? Thanks in advance!

Rob

nunu-k3-mods.jpg

Edited by DukeE

1 hour ago, DukeE said:

Copy paste from other thread. 

Ron, I am also eagerly awaiting this kit! However, someone pointed out that the model looked awkward. I looked into it, and came up with the following quick & dirty shape analysis. I *really* hope that the photo is of a prototype model, not the production kit. Can you compare your model to the photos below and comment? Thanks in advance!

Rob

nunu-k3-mods.jpg

The most obvious thing I see is the rear wing support doesn't flow like the 1:1 and would benefit from being shortened/lowered.

Related image

Edited by afx

I tried a different approach. I made a line drawing over a nice straight-from-the-side photo.

935k3-04.jpg

I put it over the only K3 drawing I know, from an old Scale Models International issue. The fit is mediocre, and especially the 'greenhouses' are rather different. Sigh.

935k3-05.jpg

Then a smart person pointed out that the drawings for the painting instructructions of the kit were probably derived from the 3D CAD model. So I overlayed my line drawing on that.

The wheel positions and wheel openings are quite wrong, the skirt too tall, the front headlights too large, but the rest isn't bad. Especially the greenhouse matches pretty well. Amazing!!

935k3-06.jpg

It's slowly becoming a case of 'man with two watches never knows the time' frown.gif

Ron, I still have to measure the windows on my kits, hopefully later today!

Rob

One thing to keep in mind when comparing K3s - the 1:1 vs the kit itself not withstanding - is depending on the year and the series the tails and rear fenders are different.  If you compare the kit K3 vs. the Dick Barbour IMSA K3 featured a few posts above, the rear fenders are completely different, as is the tail wing area.  There's a relatively new player in resin called Classic Racing Resins that is working with IndyCals to produce a series of specific livery & resin transkit pieces to modify the kit into it's various years and series changes.

3 hours ago, DukeE said:

And for the next question, https://hobbitime.shop/

Haven't bought yet, but looks pretty nice. Been on eBay for awhile too. 

The ones on the site so far are conversions to backdate the K2 out of Kremer spec, but there will be several upcoming ones for the K3 to forward date it into 1980/81/82. 

• 4 weeks later...

Here's my story:

I want to do the street legal Porsche 935 K3 that Walter Wolf contracted Kremer to produce after the Le Mans race (see photo), but there was no kit really close to it.  Then Beemax/Aoshima produced the K2 and I bought it thinking that I could use that as a starting point, but it would require quite a bit of bodywork.  Then Renaissance produced a resin kit (or you could buy the resin body alone).  Many of the details matched the Wolf K3 (notably the front headlight/clip) and so I bought the body and would use the K2 chassis underneath.  I have even got a guy to custom produce the logo and script decals for the car using metallic gold printing (ALPS printer, I believe)

And now I see that Platz nunu produced the K3 Le Mans car which is much closer to the Wolf car and so I have ordered that as well.  I guess it pays (or actually costs a lot) to be patient!  (anyone interested in a Renaissance resin body?)

WolfPorsche935.jpg

• 3 months later...

I offer 3 different fender conversion kits for the NuNu Porsche 935 K3 at my store. With many more on the way in the coming weeks.

These resin kits accurately convert the 1/24 NuNu Porsche K3/79 into the desired car like the Apple K3, the 1980 Jagermeister k3, and the Sachs K3

https://hobbitime.myshopify.com/search?q=K3

I also have a comprehensive blog post on how to convert this kit properly. 

https://hobbitime74404545.wordpress.com/blog/

MUNDRBI.jpg

Hvi13NH.jpg

TOSCcjc.jpg

jr81jDN.jpg

dRiuzK2.jpg

x82P3rQ.jpg

ShzWjwj.jpg

eP7iBth.jpg