Model Cars Magazine Forum

'32 Ford Phantom Vickie

Plowboy

Another just for fun build. The goal was to make the outside look traditional, but have everything underneath modern. Like a best of both worlds. It's the old AMT Phantom Vickie kit with a few changes made to it. The chassis is straight out of the box. The engine is from the kit also. But, I "backdated" it with a set of fake Hemi valve covers and a modernized Hilborn style fuel injection setup from an AMT '53 Ford pickup. Headers are from the Revell '50 F-1. The wheels and tires are from a Revell '32 sedan with the rears deepened. They're painted with Stainless Steel. The only changes to the interior are the seats from an AMT '34 sedan and the steering wheel from a '34 pickup. Paint is Tamiya Dull Red.  The body got the cowl and windshield frame from a Revell '32 roadster. It's painted Tamiya Mica Silver. The top was modified to fit the new frame and also painted Dull Red. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out considering the time and effort I put into it. 

48647960117_c825cf8854_b.jpg

48647820206_b34e6ef9a1_b.jpg

48647816796_a3ef4648b8_b.jpg

48647956837_b2da1b88de_b.jpg

48647447413_649f7323f4_b.jpg

48647444428_613da297b3_b.jpg

48647939957_98b9d59e3f_b.jpg

48647437758_630cc785a8_b.jpg

48647931307_954c076e6a_b.jpg

48647795821_73e2fc16b1_b.jpg 

Thanx for checking it out! 

You done good, Roger, you done real good!!!

I love everything you changed but in particular the windshield/top and the deepened rear wheels. I love the color scheme, I'm definitely gonna get me some of that dull red for a future interior of my own. The whole thing looks awesome with fenders, too! 

If it were full-scale I could definitely see this car on the cover of Street Rodder!

B)

On 8/31/2019 at 3:16 PM, Dennis Lacy said:

You done good, Roger, you done real good!!!

I love everything you changed but in particular the windshield/top and the deepened rear wheels. I love the color scheme, I'm definitely gonna get me some of that dull red for a future interior of my own. The whole thing looks awesome with fenders, too! 

If it were full-scale I could definitely see this car on the cover of Street Rodder!

B)

Thanx Dennis! That means a lot coming from someone with your knowledge and experience. I still don't have your knack for getting all the right pieces together. But, I'm improving little by little I think. This model was the Polar opposite of my last hot rod build.

2 hours ago, alan barton said:

Wow, that really came together Roger.  The wheels ;look a lot tougher now.  The colour scheme is conservative without being boring.  I would love to see this parked alongside a "stock" phantom Vicky - it would make a very cool contrast I think!

Cheers

Alan

Thanx Alan! I couldn't build one straight out of the box. I can't stand the way the Duvall windshield looks on that body. I would have to change the cowl and windshield at the very least. Interesting idea though.