Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari 488 GTE 2017 LM 24

Gt fan

Had this sitting around and was looking for something different after my last 43rd kit. The kit is by MFH and it’s one of there proportion kits, gives you a bit more detail than a curbside kit. Kit is made up of resin and white metal. I will be building the Ver B kit , Risi Ferrari is the team. The car is in a mock-up stage as if you even built a mfh kit you have to fit before anything. The cage bars came twisted up pretty bad because of how thin they are. I tracked them together with Aaron Alpha super glue some of the best glue you can get. Then they were bent back to shape. The process took about 2hrs to complete. The glue and filler needs to be sanded out and smooth now. I will post as many pictures a long the way as I can. Help is always welcome. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

13 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Oh man, I got their Lusso kit, looked at it, and wondered if I would ever get the courage to build it.  Will keep an eye on this build, best of luck and may the gods of Patience be with you.

Your patience is differently tested on one of these .

Got the interns ready and some color on the front and rear inserts. Black is Humbrol Matt black. I haven’t used the body colors but the blacks ( Matt and semi ) work very well. Interior is taped out for the sliver bare metal color.  I was able to tape the cage and remove it as a unit. A little disappointed that the motor detail , it’s like old school Tamiya with just the motor top.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good Tim. I really need to get back to mine and get it finished off. So many stalled projects......I'm such a bad modeler.

I agree about the lack of full engine, but what's there is pretty nicely detailed and, it's all you can really see, even on the real race car through the back deck. Sad thing is the 1/12 is exactly the same. But for $300 it really should have a full engine. Also, I'm not a fan of the white metal. I gotta think that making the cockpit bulkhead and the motor top and the rollcage out of the same resin as the body and chassis has got to be cheaper. The wheels and brakes, ok I guess, but still think that resin is easier to work with. Getting that cage together and stay together was not fun.

The cage still gives me nightmares. I feel with the crispness of the molds and technology they would go a one piece cage. You are right you can’t see all that much. I to have a bunch stalled. Three MFH projects and a Rosberg F1car. I have the body painted but in the process of getting ready to move. I really need to clean out my kits. I’ll post the updated photos later today

I filled all the seems on the cage and smoothed out some of the uneven spots. Then it was cleaned off with some mineral spirits. The pedals are in the base stage pedals are raw metal that will get a flat coat . The recessed areas were done with a .005 drafting pen. Two different shades of black were used . After the part is dry some carbon will be added to the base of the pedals

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg