Model Cars Magazine Forum

Italian chassis maker Dallara to build Gen 7 chassis for NASCAR

Vietnam Vet67

Remember when the UAW had a cow about Dodge using the re-badged Mitsubishi called the Stealth for the Indy Pace Car? ?

I'm totally clueless about NASACR, no details about what this chassis is.  I have to assume it's not a tube frame, but a monocoque carbon-fiber tub, with a fake body bolted to it.  Do they have any requirement to still call it a "stock" car, like using a factory badge somewhere?

I basically gave up on NASCAR. I grew up on NASCAR and on motorsports in general. I would watch my uncle at the local tracks on Saturday night and the big boys on TV Sunday afternoons.The cars no longer are interesting to me and the drivers are so coached, pre-processed and pre-programmed that the whole race seems to be more of an infomercial than a race. One thing that would get me to tune in again would be to go with body-in-white based race cars. Take a Camaro, Mustang or whatever body off the assembly line, send it to the builder to add whatever would be needed to make it competitive, limit the engines so the cars would run maybe 150MPH and go racing.

42 minutes ago, oldcarfan said:

I basically gave up on NASCAR. I grew up on NASCAR and on motorsports in general. I would watch my uncle at the local tracks on Saturday night and the big boys on TV Sunday afternoons.The cars no longer are interesting to me and the drivers are so coached, pre-processed and pre-programmed that the whole race seems to be more of an infomercial than a race. One thing that would get me to tune in again would be to go with body-in-white based race cars. Take a Camaro, Mustang or whatever body off the assembly line, send it to the builder to add whatever would be needed to make it competitive, limit the engines so the cars would run maybe 150MPH and go racing.

Agreed 100%. Body-in-white based "stock" cars would return the connection with reality that this particular arm of the sport used to have, and has lost entirely. But who knows how long that could last. With American manufacturers losing interest in actually building cars (as opposed to trucks and SUVs), surely "stock-car" racing is running on borrowed time.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Well, you can be certain it won't be this.

image.png.180d7f133aae3d6111febe4f0668965f.png

That's sweet!  Now I want to hunt down an X19 kit. ?

Body-in-white, might be why WRC rally is so popular in Europe, and they race on real roads too.  It's an almost unknown racing thing in the USA, I've worked numerous rallies, lucky if a dozen people show up to watch a stage.  I think it's because there aren't hotdog and beer vendors out in the middle of nowhere.

Sorry to veer off topic.  Educate me on what the big deal is.

It has not officially been confirmed just yet so lets just keep that in mind.

Cup driver Cory Lajoie said on a podcast that Five Star bodies will be supplying the bodies( rumor as of now)

Other changes include 18inch wheels and a rumor of switching to a single center lug.

Edited by martinfan5

1 hour ago, iBorg said:

I'm not sure if this is a move that will make things cheaper for teams or whether it will harm the little teams even more as their current inventory becomes obsolete.

Jimmy Means says it will drive him out of the series. And Jimmy say been in racing since the 70's.

11 hours ago, oldcarfan said:

I don't even remember what NASCAR stands for  :(

As long as they are making all these changes they might as well just go to one engine maker.  It seems to work well in ARCA.  Lately ARCA  though seems to have a different group of drivers for each race. Just a couple show up for every race. Its like a car sharing place. The 20 car has had about 4 different drivers this year. I guess the Hailee Deegan experiment is over. Its like she fell off the planet.

5 hours ago, MarkJ said:

As long as they are making all these changes they might as well just go to one engine maker.  It seems to work well in ARCA.  Lately ARCA  though seems to have a different group of drivers for each race. Just a couple show up for every race. Its like a car sharing place. The 20 car has had about 4 different drivers this year. I guess the Hailee Deegan experiment is over. Its like she fell off the planet.

She has been running in the K&N Series and winning a few races .

https://www.racing-reference.info/driver/Hailie_Deegan

Its called ride buying, that is why there are different drivers in the same car throughout the year.

1 hour ago, MarkJ said:

Last of 2 wins was in June. Hasn't done much sense. 

But she has, her last two races

Aug 24th at Gateway, K&N Series

https://www.racing-reference.info/season-stats/2019/P/

And then she was in a Arca race on the 31st at DuQuoin Speedway

https://www.racing-reference.info/season-stats/2019/A/

She has ran 44 races so far in 2019, that is more than the Cup Series will run.

She is currently 9th in the K&N Series East Point standings

https://www.racing-reference.info/yeardet/2019/E

She is Currently 2nd in the K&N Series West Point Standings

https://www.racing-reference.info/yeardet/2019/P

She is Currently 24th in Arca standings, but she has only competed in 4 races of the 17 that have ran.

https://www.racing-reference.info/yeardet/2019/A

Edited by martinfan5

9 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

Go to a spec single engine supplier and see Ford and Toyota bail...they have committed to that already.  A Mustang 'winning' the Daytona 500 with a Chevy based engine.....will not happen. 

I agree, there will be no point for them to stay , its sad what NASCAR might be turning into,   Ive grown up with NASCAR not being production based, and that is perfectly fine with me,  I dont want to see it go to a spec series, or see go further away from what it is now.

Yes, but you said she had a few wins. 2 is not a few. She use to be all over twitter. Now crickets. Don't get me wrong. I like her very much and was hoping she could finally break through as a top echelon driver in a car that could run top ten every  week in the cup series but it doesn't look like that's going to happen now.

2 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Yes, but you said she had a few wins. 2 is not a few. She use to be all over twitter. Now crickets. Don't get me wrong. I like her very much and was hoping she could finally break through as a top echelon driver in a car that could run top ten every  week in the cup series but it doesn't look like that's going to happen now.

This is Hailie's 2nd full year driving stock cars. Like you Mark, she's great for the sport and hopefully introduces more people into it too. She'll be around for some time as long as she keeps on performing as she is right now. Here is a link to her results: https://www.racing-reference.info/driver/Hailie_Deegan

The Xfinity series on down is nothing but a rental series. There are still several full-time teams, but a majority of the team owners have gone to a rental model. It's become incredibly hard for the teams to chase down marketing partners. 

Based on what Corey LaJoie said in his podcast on the Gen7, there is going to be a spending cap of $12-14mil. He said through third party auditors they can control the spending. The bodies will be made of Kevlar, the green houses will be made of carbon fiber. 18 inch aluminum wheels with a wider width to accommodate for the shorter sidewall on the tires. One lug nut wheels is the rumor. Rack and pinion steering. Transaxle rear end with independent rear suspension. Like the dirt track teams, it appears that they are trying to get more of the components from vendors as opposed to doing it in house. Which should save ALOT of money. My biggest concern in that quite a few folks will be losing their jobs through the automation of the components.