Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chopped 1932 Ford 5-Window Coupe with Y-Block Power!

Dennis Lacy

I just received the first two chopped '32 5-Window bodies out of the mold by Drag City Casting and couldn't wait to get started on one!

1566880563265-vi.jpg

For more information on these bodies follow the link below:

So far my focus has been getting the engine fit to the frame, picking out the rolling stock and setting the stance. The engine is the dual 4-barrel Y-Block from Revell's 1957 Ford Custom with the valve covers from AMT's 1957 Ford. The firewall required some creative trimming to clear the exhaust manifolds but they are one of the Y-Block's distinctive features so I didn't want to change them. The Radir wheels are from Revell's 1964 Ford Thunderbolt Fairlane with Revell's little Pirelli front tires and the rears are the fat BFG's from their '32 Roadster Hiboy. The axles were modified to get the stance DOWN LOW. I've also bobbed the rear fender tails 6 scale inches. 

1567392591719-vi.jpg

1567392375610-vi.jpg

1567392393015-vi.jpg

1567392413600-vi.jpg

1567392573351-vi.jpg

More to come!

13 hours ago, Dennis Lacy said:

I just received the first two chopped '32 5-Window bodies out of the mold by Drag City Casting and couldn't wait to get started on one!

1566880563265-vi.jpg

For more information on these bodies follow the link below:

So far my focus has been getting the engine fit to the frame, picking out the rolling stock and setting the stance. The engine is the dual 4-barrel Y-Block from Revell's 1957 Ford Custom with the valve covers from AMT's 1957 Ford. The firewall required some creative trimming to clear the exhaust manifolds but they are one of the Y-Block's distinctive features so I didn't want to change them. The Radir wheels are from Revell's 1964 Ford Thunderbolt Fairlane with Revell's little Pirelli front tires and the rears are the fat BFG's from their '32 Roadster Hiboy. The axles were modified to get the stance DOWN LOW. I've also bobbed the rear fender tails 6 scale inches. 

1567392591719-vi.jpg

1567392375610-vi.jpg

1567392393015-vi.jpg

1567392413600-vi.jpg

1567392573351-vi.jpg

More to come!

Those bodies look promising. I look forward to watching this one come together.

UPDATE!

Did some more work today. Lots of fiddly stuff like drilling and pinning various parts for future assembly.

A few things that were worth photographing are I made an add-on plate with bolt detail for the transmission to sit on and exhaust pipe extensions from the Y-Block manifolds to the kit exhausts.

1567464593227-vi.jpg

The Y-Block transmission has that funky, LONG tail shaft which requires a much shorter drive shaft. I used the kit u-joints and a piece of Evergreen 1/8" tubing to make a new one. 

1567464605284-vi.jpg

B)

I like how you bob'd the rear fenders and the Y Block Ford gives this  build added character. You mentioned the long transmission tail shaft and I think you're correct. In the old days I have had some hands on experience with the T-85 3 speeds and I don't remember any of them ever being that long. You've already solved you problem but in the future I would just cut off the tail shaft housing at the transmission and cut to length as needed. Even with the Overdrive option the tail shaft housings were the same length with or without OD. Nice cross member.  

UPDATE!

A little more work done today. I got the rear frame horn covers trimmed and fit and made some more aggressive looking exhaust tips.

1567478622869-vi.jpg

1567478632929-vi.jpg

1567478670082-vi.jpg

To the engine I added some curved Moon style breathers to the valve covers and also center drilled the carbs to take the air filters from the optional Hemi in this 5-Window kit.

1567478698892-vi.jpg

And a few more mock ups to wrap up the weekend!

1567478796283-vi.jpg

1567478805797-vi.jpg

1567478824534-vi.jpg

B)

Edited by Dennis Lacy

Wicked! It looks hella mean. I love the Y-block/chrome stamped valve covers (and those headers) with the twin mushroom-style air cleaners.  Killer rubber rake :D

My only critique would be that the back wheels look like they could stand to be a tad deeper, considering how fat those tires are. *shrug* I know that's a tall order!

I can't wait to get mine :)

3 hours ago, Johnny99 said:

I have a sneaky suspiscion that it might be desired...

I mastered a louvered hood, deep steel wheels and a rearend for the '32s over five years ago. Started a thread to guage interest and got less than ten comments on them. So, I didn't pursue it. Things may be different now though. 

This project is making me want to dig out my old '32 five window project. I have the hood in primer and the rest ready for primer. Mine has the Y block from the AMT '57 and three two barrels.