Model Cars Magazine Forum

Filtering paint

Just tried to spray some acrylic paints and every few passes I would have to stop and tear my airbrush apart and clean it.  Now i am a bit slow and it took me four times doing this before I finally decided there may be something wrong with the paint.  I had thinned it to three drops off the stir stick, skim milk viscosity.  Used my jig-saw shaker and stirred it with a coffee stirrer for at least a minute.  When I poured it out of the airbrush bottle, at the bottom it appeared as if it has curdled and was quite lumpy.  AHA, the cause of my airbrush jams!  Now my question is how do you all filter your paint to prevent such catastrophes?  I bought some of those filters like you use for house paint, but I cannot get my paint mixture to properly drain through.  Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

12 hours ago, John Pol said:

what are you using folk art paint?

On this particular car, yes I am.  I have used it before and did not have these issues.  I am thinning with a mixture of Windex and 91% isopropyl alcohol.

I will be going by WalMart today after a doctor appointment and will check on the tea strainer and some pantyhose.  That is going to be so embarrassing, I already get strange looks at the nail polish display.

Edited by TarheelRick

49 minutes ago, TarheelRick said:

On this particular car, yes I am.  I have used it before and did not have these issues.  I am thinning with a mixture of Windex and 91% isopropyl alcohol.

I will be going by WalMart today after a doctor appointment and will check on the tea strainer and some pantyhose.  That is going to be so embarrassing, I already get strange looks at the nail polish display.

X2 ?

On 9/3/2019 at 7:27 AM, TarheelRick said:

Just own it!  That's what I do when I need supplies from the beauty aisle/store.  LOL

The takeaway is that IF I want, I can have really nice nails.   As can my wife because she borrows my sanding sticks.  

Edited by randyc

By and large, they either know or have a good idea you are not buying these products for yourself.  I have done the grocery shopping in my house for years and bought many feminine products for my wife and daughter.  The only comments I ever got were that "my husband / boyfriend would never buy this stuff for me".  The gals were largely impressed I would buy these items for my girls.

12 hours ago, randyc said:

Just own it!  That's what I do when I need supplies from the beauty aisle/store.  LOL

The takeaway is that IF I want, I can have really nice nails.   As can my wife because she borrows my sanding sticks.  

I tell the folks who look at me funny that my Great Dane loves his toenails painted, and is particularly partial to whatever colour I'm buying that day... Shuts them up every time. :)

On 9/3/2019 at 7:27 AM, TarheelRick said:

Just a suggestion, you don't have to listen to me: Lose the windex in your mix and mix your IPA with 60% distilled water instead. If you have some retarder, mix in a few drops of that ( ends tip dry helps leveling). Assuming the paint is good and not old and lumpy this will spray fine ( if it is old a lumpy you can get a new bottle for around $.80 at Walmart or $1.40 minus a coupon at Micheals so it won't break the bank) . Try it, it works very well. If you have some Aztek thinner, mix the solution I mentioned 50/50 with that then thin, this will increase flow out and gloss if it is satin or gloss FolkArt ( lays down different initially though). The same thinners for Aapple Barrel paints. I have these two brands spraying as nice as some model paints. Don't let alcohol anywhere near DecoArt paints when thinning, instant gel.

Again just a suggestion but I know this works and works well.