Model Cars Magazine Forum

winter is closing in....

I see many or at least a few threads about computers. I just thought this would be really helpful for all of you.

Winter closing in, you will be closer to your computers...hopefully building more models!

Some links for you to learn from and use. I live and have lived by many of these programs for many years and i never have problems.

I build my own computers, usually a rebuild every year. I have repaired and built computers for others and have done "online tech" for countless modelers. I just want you to realize that i am experienced and if you take care of your computer then you have nothing to fear.

Each time i format (usually once a year), i re-install the following programs because i find them essential to my activity online and to my computers health and security.

Adaware

can find this and download for free on www.lavasoft.com this is to find any adware that might cause pop ups as well as collect cookies caused by 3 parties etc.. running this program even once a week is not a bad idea.

Spy-Bot Search & Destory

the software can be downloaded here for free as well. http://www.safer-networking.org/index2.html the thing about Spy-Bot S&D and Adaware is they almost cancel each other out as far as what they are meant for. I still run them both one after the other because one will pick up stuff the other misses. The main thing for this program is to pick up Spy-Bots which can also cause pop ups and bots that will sit on your computer and figure out more information about you to better "personalize" the pop ups. This has an "Immunization" process and that is the MAIN reason i use it. It blocks thousands of 3rd parties BEFORE they can even attack you.....therefor you never have to remove them.

AVG Anti-Virus

This is going to be something of choice....there are many arguements with virus programs. Some people trust other programs over this and vice versa. I have been using this for about 8 years i think. I have this set to auto run about 8am everyday. It updates and scans my computer while i am not on it and i know my computer is being taken care of. I have tried Norton and some others....I am sorry , i know some will disagree BUT.... i ran them next to each other and AVG picked up stuff Norton didn't. This is going to be completely up to the user. Choose wisely! AVG can be downloaded and used forever FREE here http://free.avg.com/

The single MOST IMPORTANT thing to keep up to date is your OS/Windows, no matter what version you are running. You would not believe how many times people ask me for help and the first thing i say is "did you update windows?".....sometimes not updating windows is the complete cause of all your misery. Windows will simply run like hell without a dose of UPDATE. You can get updated by going to www.windowsupdate.com After you run updates and download what is available, go back again and again to make sure you got ALL of the updates. Some times only certain updates will show up because they don't recognize other components as needing it yet. OH i know....... "but my computer is set to automaticly update".......HORSE PUCKY .... sorry again, but i have YET to see windows do the updates ON TIME.....as in "when they are released". I always go to their site and i find updates which are very critical that were released days ago.....why didn't my updates do it for me? hmmmmmm

optional.....this is a nice site and works well! what if your anti virus doesn't find anything? what if you are getting an error that just drives you nuts? check this site and download FREE....use it, let it run and it may take a couple hours to run...but this is a very thorough scan for viruses, bugs and more. www.trendmicro.com HouseCall....use it , love it!

Ok, those are the main things i keep going to ensure the no frill experience online. Now for some tweaking and toys!

Major Geeks

This site has so many cool tweaks and programs that come in handy for your computer, do yourself a favor and learn a little and have some personalizational fun!

www.majorgeeks.com

That's about it for now, i hope that this information helps you to solve some problems and to learn a little....computers are your friend!

I know there are bigger nerds out there than me, if ya have something to toss in.....do it :blink:

Guest Gramps-xrds

I use most of the ones you mentioned plus a few more. One is Advanced windows care V2 personal (free download) It makes your pc run a little faster plus corrects a lot of things. The other is called Clean-up. This cleans cache files and other things. I use Mozilla firefox instead of IE. IE has built-in tracking cookies, so every time you use it, it sends info out so companies can see what you're looking at and send you pop-ups they think you might be interested in. Firefox can be set to auto delete all cookies and passwords and history when you turn it off, plus it has a pop-up blocker. Another is zone alarm firewall. I got few of the MS updates on my pc but my pc is squeeky clean and runs like a well oiled clock.

Edited by Gramps-xrds

I use most of the ones you mentioned plus a few more. One is Advanced windows care V2 personal (free download) It makes your pc run a little faster plus corrects a lot of things. The other is called Clean-up. This cleans cache files and other things. I use Mozilla firefox instead of IE. IE has built-in tracking cookies, so every time you use it, it sends info out so companies can see what you're looking at and send you pop-ups they think you might be interested in. Firefox can be set to auto delete all cookies and passwords and history when you turn it off, plus it has a pop-up blocker. Another is zone alarm firewall. I got few of the MS updates on my pc but my pc is squeeky clean and runs like a well oiled clock.

I forgot about Zone Alarm. I used to keep it installed for a few years, but forgot about it many times when rebuilding...heck i should go see how it is now, it's been 3 years or more since i used that. thanks!

Thanks for the great information Bob! Count me in as one for the AVG programs! They are the BEST and I have tryed all the others but AVG really does it job. Been using it since early this year and real happy with it and its free!

Norton which I paided a lot for failed many times and I used it on my last computer that died of virus which AVG would of stopped if I used that at the time.

~ Jeff

I had Norton already installed by Dell when I got my computer last year, and it wasn't all that!

Near the end of it's subscription time the program crashed and I simply refused to reinstall/update it. I switched to PC Tools Spyware Doctor with Antivirus and have had no trouble.

Another thing that I highly recommend is a online backup! True one can backup data with an external hard drive, but those can fail or heaven forbid a disaster happen to your home due to fire, flood, earthquake, etc.

Nothing can be more heartbreaking/frustrating than a hard drive crash and have all those neat photos and music gone forever! :lol:

Carbonite will back up your files (UNLIMITED amount) for under 50 bucks a year. It won't slow down your computer as it works silently in the background. I've used it for the past year, and haven't had a single issue with them.

You guys can prattle on all you want about free programs, but for me when I try and download, all I get is requests for credit card numbers and a price. So you expect me to believe this next round of free downloads are truly free? The last one I did only fixed 20 of the 900 and some problems I had and then asked for money. Further perusing of the "free" site said, OK it's free but first you have to accept on of our offers...WHICH COST MONEY. I am truly tinkled when I sit for an hour during a scan only to be asked for money.

Edited by lordairgtar

Yea my best Bro, he owns a computer rebuild place here in town, he said the same thing, bring in my laptop for its cleaning and upgrade at least once a year. Well yea thats what I got an Cheeto's ;) . Thats wild I use AVG, man it works great, had my bro install it earler this year, an sure enough no problems, I dont know about the Spybot search and destroy, I just set it to go once a week and it seems to do it's job, a computer Is? well like a car if you dont take care of It, It will leave you whare you dont wanna be....

Edited by unforgiven

You guys can prattle on all you want about free programs, but for me when I try and download, all I get is requests for credit card numbers and a price. So you expect me to believe this next round of free downloads are truly free? The last one I did only fixed 20 of the 900 and some problems I had and then asked for money. Further perusing of the "free" site said, OK it's free but first you have to accept on of our offers...WHICH COST MONEY. I am truly tinkled when I sit for an hour during a scan only to be asked for money.

yes, you will get them free. i have been using them for years and never got asked for money. only Spy Bot search and destroy has a portion of their page "before" you download asking if you like their service to "donate" anything....even a buck if you want. i never donated anything i admit.

if you go to any of the programs that i suggest and get asked for any money.....then there is some problems in your computer causing these "pop ups".

Avoid ALL the aforementioned hassles. Get a Mac!

I've been a Mac user all my computing life. I've NEVER had a virus. Ever.

Yes, I switched to a Mac Book Pro about a year ago...still have a Windows laptop, but the Mac is main machine... they are the best...rock solid, easy to use, more than powerful enough for what I need. They are expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Speaking of 'winter closing in', here, it's the opposite---winter is is the nice time of the year, time to get outside. Summer in Phoenix is time to stay inside on the computer (or outside in the pool)....I'm looking forward to winter to spend more time outside, do grilling, etc..

Edited by Rob Hall