Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
Sign in to follow this  
STYRENE-SURFER

AMT 1966 Ford Mustang Hood?

Recommended Posts

Does anyone know if the 66' AMT Mustang Hardtop hood will fit the 1965 Super Boss Mustang-GT Funny Car kit?

And also, does the  hardtop have a chassis with molded in axels, suspension and exhaust?

If so is there a 1/25th chassis that would be an good alternative or donor?

Edited by STYRENE-SURFER

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know about the hood fitting the funny car. But, the '66 hardtop has a molded in chassis. The best donor would be the chassis from the Monogram '66 fastback. While it's 1/24 scale, it should take very little to make it work. Another may be the one from the AMT '67. But, it's quite a bit more narrow than the hardtop body. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure about hte first question.   See the picture.  The 65/66 chassis is molder in so the 68 Shelby GT500 is a better choice since it has a separate exhaust system and front roll bar and rearend.  I have not tried the conversion but it should be pretty easy.

IMG_5509.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

Don't know about the hood fitting the funny car. But, the '66 hardtop has a molded in chassis. The best donor would be the chassis from the Monogram '66 fastback. While it's 1/24 scale, it should take very little to make it work. Another may be the one from the AMT '67. But, it's quite a bit more narrow than the hardtop body. 

I was thinking that was the case. What I'm trying to do is get rid of the "Tear drop" hood on the funny car.

Was hoping that these two kits shared enough similar dimensions that would enable me to create a A/FX car w/stock hood.

As well as building a decent Hard Top version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, STYRENE-SURFER said:

Is there a 1/25th chassis that would be an good alternative or donor?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be willing to bet a fair chunk of change that the AMT '66 hardtop hood is a direct fit for their AWB body. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in-the-middle of a '66 AMT Mustang chassis-swap project right now, and I can tell you that I originally thought the AMT/Ertl/Round-2 1968 Shelby Mustang GT500 kit's chassis would be a quick-n-easy drop-in replacement, but it's more challenging than I originally thought.  Had to add rear wheel wells, cut-out a section of the center of the chassis and replace it, fabricate-in the rear portion of the driveshaft tunnel, add a new transmission-mount brace and I'm still in the process of getting the firewall and chassis to mate to each other properly.  I expected a few hours of work, but that's increased to 20+ hours and I'm not done yet.

GT500ChassisPic.jpg

Edited by '70 Grande

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, '70 Grande said:

I'm in-the-middle of a '66 AMT Mustang chassis-swap project right now, and I can tell you that I originally thought the AMT/Ertl/Round-2 1968 Shelby Mustang GT500 kit's chassis would be a quick-n-easy drop-in replacement, but it's more challenging than I originally thought.  Had to add rear wheel wells, cut-out a section of the center of the chassis and replace it, fabricate-in the rear portion of the driveshaft tunnel, add a new transmission-mount brace and I'm still in the process of getting the firewall and chassis to mate to each other properly.  I expected a few hours of work, but that's increased to 20+ hours and I'm not done yet.

 

Good to know it's not easy as I thought.  I wonder if the opposite is true because the Mach1 show car used the 66 style chassis.

IMG_5518.JPG

Edited by vamach1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, vamach1 said:

Good to know it's not easy as I thought.  I wonder if the opposite is true because the Mach1 show car used the 66 style chassis.

IMG_5518.JPG

That IS the '66 chassis.  Started out in the annual Mustang kits (convertible with separate hardtop), which was customized into the Sonny & Cher convertible.  Then got converted to duals and used in the custom fastback kit.  Then, under the coupe promotional model body to create the coupe kit that has been reissued many times since.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Trumpeter '64 Falcon chassis is nice place to start a drag car.  I used it under my '61 Falcon Gasser project.

DSCN5039

Another option is the Moebius '65 Comet A/FX chassis which I have installed under my '65 Falcon A/FX project.

DSCN5997

Edited by afx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/4/2019 at 4:49 PM, Casey said:

 

Casey, I had forgotten about that thread. Thank you for reminding me, will go over it again.

On 9/5/2019 at 4:42 AM, afx said:

The Trumpeter '64 Falcon chassis is nice place to start a drag car.  I used it under my '61 Falcon Gasser project.

DSCN5039

Another option is the Moebius '65 Comet A/FX chassis which I have installed under my '65 Falcon A/FX project.

DSCN5997

J.C. That is most likely the way I would attack it. Tho the 66' AMT Mustang body is probably a good deal narrower than the Falcon's.

At least thats how things look from the pictures Ive seen here.

On 9/4/2019 at 7:27 PM, Snake45 said:

I'd be willing to bet a fair chunk of change that the AMT '66 hardtop hood is a direct fit for their AWB body. 

Snake, I think this kit looks as if it would only be useful to me for the hood and body.

Chassis looks like what I was afraid of.😫

I don't think I will spend money for one of these kits but will try to find just the hood from one.

Thanx all for you're input, sorry for the late response.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, boss 302 mustang said:

The hood from the '66 hardtop does not fit the AWB  fastback body

Huh. I'll have to check that out. :huh:

Back to add: 

I just did. The hood from the latest repop fits the AWB fastback body fine. The gap on each side is a little more than I'd like, but not much if any worse than many other kits on the market today, and certainly less than the gaps in the hood of AMT's '55 Chevy kit. 

Styrene Surfer, I KNOW you have the Mad Skillz to make it work. Shouldn't be a problem at all. B)

Edited by Snake45

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll agree it will fit but it is a lousy fit.  Too narrow in my opinion.  And since the original poster wanted to build an A/FX car with a flat hood, I wonder if that hood would clear a 427 with 2-4 barrel carbs.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Huh. I'll have to check that out. :huh:

Back to add: 

I just did. The hood from the latest repop fits the AWB fastback body fine. The gap on each side is a little more than I'd like, but not much if any worse than many other kits on the market today, and certainly less than the gaps in the hood of AMT's '55 Chevy kit. 

Styrene Surfer, I KNOW you have the Mad Skillz to make it work. Shouldn't be a problem at all. B)

Thanx Snake. 

16 hours ago, boss 302 mustang said:

I'll agree it will fit but it is a lousy fit.  Too narrow in my opinion.  And since the original poster wanted to build an A/FX car with a flat hood, I wonder if that hood would clear a 427 with 2-4 barrel carbs.  

 

 

Boss, It's going to have opening for a blown engine 

Well that is the plan anyway. (plan B. or C. lost count) 😜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...