Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Plymouth Superbird in Lemon Twist Yellow

roadhawg

The Monogram/Revell 1970 Superbird is one of my favorite kits to build. I've built about 4 of them before this one, and I try to improve each one by learning little nuances each time, both with the kit, and the real cars. It's still not perfect by a long shot, but this is my best one so far. One of the things that has always bothered me about this kit is that passenger side fenderwell in the engine bay, so I tried to fix this one. The kit has 2 tanks there, a windshield washer tank and I'm guessing a radiator overflow tank. Then, to the rear of the washer tank is a weird looking hump of some sort. The only thing that's SUPPOSED to be there is the windshield washer tank....from all references I can find, a radiator overflow tank wasn't offered until '71, possibly '72, so that had to go. I also added something they didn't include with the kit that every '70 Superbird/Road Runner MUST have.....the trademark purple "meep meep" horn. I swapped in the standard bench seat interior from the Road Runner kit. The tires and wheels are from Fireball Modelworks. I sorta overdid the paint overspray on the chassis because I was trying to do this with spray cans.....lesson learned.  Thanks for looking! 

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

11 hours ago, randyc said:

Whole thing looks great, but that may be the best painting of those Mopar rallye wheels I've ever seen.  

Thank you, but I can't credit for that. The Fireball Modelworks wheels are 3 separate pieces, and the wheels have holes molded in. Painting these are so easy even a caveman could do it lol. 

Great looking Bird , Tommy , I really like that color combo , 

a couple of suggestions for next time , you need to add the coil on the intake manifold just above the breather on the passenger side valve cover , you have the coil wire running there and down behind the engine and it looks like you used something to darken the panel lines on the doors but the lines are too feint on the rear of the doors , maybe rescribe them next time to get better definition . 

11 hours ago, oldnslow said:

Great looking Bird , Tommy , I really like that color combo , 

a couple of suggestions for next time , you need to add the coil on the intake manifold just above the breather on the passenger side valve cover , you have the coil wire running there and down behind the engine and it looks like you used something to darken the panel lines on the doors but the lines are too feint on the rear of the doors , maybe rescribe them next time to get better definition . 

Wow, I missed that coil completely! Thank you, I'll get that fixed right away. The panel lines, I didn't darken them, but yeah, I think you're right, they do need to be defined a little better. I'll definitely try using a scriber on the next one. Thank you!